Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there are 2 fuel filters on the series 2, 2.2? It appears I have been supplied the wrong type as I have a series 1, 2.0 which only has one?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Series 2 have two filters, 1 by the tank and the other towards the HP pump prior to common fuel rail. I have heard the Series 1 with the two litre diesel has 1 filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Series 1 2.0 Diesel. 1 Filter on Torpedo wall, Tip remove complete with mounting bracket be carefuull to reconnect both plugs.
<div style="display:none;" id="__hggasdgjhsagd_once">

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
I seem to recall that there was a 'special tool' mentioned (18 months or more ago) that disconnects the fuel pipes - is this necessary/recommended or can standard tool box spanner do the job?

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Captiva 2.4 Petrol Front Wheel Drive, 167hp
9 Posts
I seem to recall that there was a 'special tool' mentioned (18 months or more ago) that disconnects the fuel pipes - is this necessary/recommended or can standard tool box spanner do the job?
Hi,

Yes it's this tool, you can buy it on ebay:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure if all Captiva LE5 (2.4) petrol engine owners are aware, but a weak issue of this engine suffers from has to do with the timing chain guide bolts. The standard ones should be replaced as they can break, which can lead to all sorts of costly repairs.

This can be done by using an upgrade kit consisting of US made ARP high strength 12-point bolts and steel spacers. The kit can be purchased on ebay or the bolts can be obtained separately and then spacers made up by a workshop. I did both. When replacing the bolts it's worth replacing the 3 guides, tensioner and chain, possibly also the small chain that drives the oil pump together with it's guides, although that's not so critical. For those who are wondering, there is also an upgraded tensioner avaialble from the US used in racing engines, but I have no feed-back as to the details. Upgraded/heavy duty chains and guides do not seem to exist, just the standard OE items.

For those who use their vehicle off-road sometimes and wish to have some protection under the sump, there is a very good steel sump shield available (made in Russia) which, I obtained via an outlet here in Germany.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Fisherboy, This is helpful information. You appear to be a knowledgeable and wise contributor.

Can I ask that you complete your Sign-Up Location (which you appear to have left blank) and also add your vehicle details to your Signature Footer.

Useful info on the following link. Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fisherboy, This is helpful information. You appear to be a knowledgeable and wise contributor.

Can I ask that you complete your Sign-Up Location (which you appear to have left blank) and also add your vehicle details to your Signature Footer.

Useful info on the following link. Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

Thanks.
Captiva 2.4 TIMING CHAIN GUIDE BOLT UPGRADE.

Should anyone require the ARP bolt size and spacer dimensions I can supply them.

As a min. upgrade however, the top bolt of the right hand timing chain guide should be removed and replaced with either one of these upgrades:
1. www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Chain-Upper-Guide-Bolt-Fix-GM-Saab-Saturn-Ecotec-2-0-2-2-2-4L/154034287323?hash=item23dd28b2db:g:iVQAAOSwdQpfKXFa
or
2. www.ebay.com/itm/For-Chevrolet-Captiva-Sport-Engine-Timing-Chain-Guide-Bolt-Dorman-28535MR-/392391374082

It could be that these are now also available in Europe somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts