Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a similar problem? I have a 2008 ltz and the fuel gauge keeps dropping for know reason. You could fill the tank up then drive off down the road only for the gauge to drop completely along with the digital readout. After awhile it pops back up!!! The garage said its sounds like the fuel pump, I'm no mechanic but I don't think it's that at a cost of £300 plus. Any ideas?

Many thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Chudman,

I assume its a 2008 LTX 2.0diesel?

We have had a couple of issues with these, normally we replace thefuel senders in the tank. There are two of them becauseof the 'saddle' design of the tank. The two senders take an average reading before sending the level info to the ECU.

The senders cost £36 inc vat each and it takes just under hour to fit them.

Fitted it shouldn't cost anymore than £150. There is no need to buy a complete new pump.

I'm not ruling out the instrument cluster, but we have never replaced the guage for this issue,

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that, the dealer wants to charge £150 just to further investigate the problem! That's before replacing anything.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If that'swhatthe problem is, I'd be tempted toreconcilethat it's not a big issue and live with it rather than spend £150.

Just saying...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem. It's due to wear on the float switch circuit board. Eventually the wear causes an open circuit at a certain point. Mine happens at the 1/4 full mark. I am getting it replaced on my next service.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi tom here you mentioned the fuel sender unit replacement i have the same fault and intend to replace these part myself have you a contact for these parts thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Try Barry (Bazzafranklin) at Chesser chevy, a forum member, he's a real good bloke and can source whatever you need at a discount. He's done me proud several times!

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here and need to change these senders. Got them ordered from Chevy but haven't looked closely enough at the car yet to see is it tank out or accessed from under the rear seats.

Thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
Out I think, certainly nothiong to suggest their is access from inside the car following the spilt milk incident in mine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, tank out

There are inspection panels above the tank but it looks as though they are bonded in.

Job done - now to see if the gauge works long term

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am still having issues with my fuel gauge . I have had the dealer replace both sensors and checked all wiring . The problem still exists, just wondering is anyone else having a similar fault. My only options are to replace the ECU or the dual cluster. Even then I'm not garunteed a fix.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have experienced this problem but only on one occasion when the fuel gauge suddenly showed a massive drop in fuel level but as I drove my Captiva further into my journey it rectified itself and has been fine ever since ..

Its just all the other electrical related faults that still seem to exist, I get the impression that the electrics are not as solid as the rest of the vehicle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts