Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, am hoping someone on here might be able to help. I'm a new owner of a 58 2.0 diesel captiva. Owned for 1 day. Seems like a decent truck. The fuel guage has a mind of its own. Empty then back to normal, then back to empty. You get the idea! Any ideas where to start please? Sender? wiring? Fuse ? Cluster? Many thanks in advance. Simon

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Simey, Welcome to Forum. As you didnt complete your sign up location (this is world wide forum) please confirm if you are UK based (I think so from ref to 58) but you then use terminology of 'truck' which sounds American.
Bit more info on the vehicle may help us; what mileage, is it 5 or 7 seater, auto or manual. Do you have any service history on it. Is it just the fuel gauge or do any other cluster gauges show signs of irregularity or non illumination?
First two things that come to mind either lose connection at back of cluster or lose/corroded fuse. Try those first.
Might be 'sender' connection but bit more difficult to get to.

You can edit sign up by going to Tools>Quicklinks>Edit your details.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for your response. I should have said. I'm in the UK. It's a seven seater. It has full history, mileage is 118 k miles.its only the fuel guage. Nothing else seems to be playing up or wrong. I was wondering about an earthing issue. What Fuse might it be worth checking ?

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Simey, I dont have the fuse layout for the Series 1 (yours) , as mine is a Series 2.
Your Handbook should have the fuse descriptions. It could be a bit of corrosion on a fuse but I would have thought this would affect other gauges as well. Earthing problem or terminal connection on the sender could be likely cause.

When you update your Location data you can also add your vehicle details to your footer Signature box (like mine below) and it avoids you having to repeat it every time you post and enables all readers to identify your vehicle in future. Tools>Quicklinks>Edit Signature

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all,
Did this issue get sorted? I've been having the same problem with my Series 1 fuel gauge.. has a mind of it own and can't be trusted!
Want to try the fuse first. If it helps anyone here's a pic of series 1 fuses from the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts