Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a silly question.

How do you unclip the connectors for the fuel lines at the filter? It looks like it is a push in clip on the side of the connector that should come out with pressure from the other side. Tried pushing from the reverse and gently trying to get a small screwdriver in to try and lever it up. Just found the plastic clip started to deform at the edge where had tried inserting the screwdriver. Did not want it snapping.

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
Online info on Kalos/Aveo TIS data states :-
"Fuel Filter Removal Procedure
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Caution : The fuel system is under pressure. To avoid fuel spillage and the risk of personal injury or fire, it is necessary to relieve the fuel system pressure before disconnecting the fuel lines.
Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to "Fuel Pump" in this section.
Disconnect the inlet/outlet fuel lines by moving the line connector lock forward and pulling the hose off of the fuel filter tube.
Disconnect the fuel filter ground."

Further info on this link (note you will need to scroll down quite a way to find the section you require):-

https://www.autocats.ws/manual/chevrolet/tis0409/EN/documents_2008/Kalos-HB/sm-t/7T2_1F24.en.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone have a parts diagram for the Kalos fuel system? As I took the car to a local garage for them to change the filter. They could not get the pipes off the filter. The fuel filter is the original one and has never been changed.
The garage recomended trying to get the fuel line from the tank to the filter and from the filter forward.

Have done a search on here and found one for the later Aveo and am not sure how similar the two systems are.

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
I'm disappointed that the info I provided previously didnt assist. Did you provide the data link to your garage for them to read the instructions? It was a way down the link page so it was necessary to scroll down the page to the filter heading. Did they try pushing the connectors forwards and then pull the hose off.

"Disconnect the inlet/outlet fuel lines by moving the line connector lock forward and pulling the hose off of the fuel filter tube."

Are you saying that the lines and filter housing have corroded together?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the garage the ends of the filter have corroded up and are stuck in the connectors. They did not want to damage the connectors where be unable to fit the new filter.

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
Have done a search on here and found one for the later Aveo and am not sure how similar the two systems are.
I dont think it is going to matter if you run a new fuel line and a different filter. It might need a modification to the holding bracket but providing the fuel is filtered then problem solved.

Viper supply fuel lines. So can Eurocar parts ie 5 meters of fuel line £27, Crosland inline fuel filter £9.
It might not be the original design but it is a solution worth considering.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
You're right, the fuel delivery pipe is teed off into the fuel return, just the way the system is designed; it saves the expense of the longer piping with fuel return from the engine bay. It means the fuel pump is running at 100% all the time but they can do that OK. The garage might have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pipe work though.

I don't know what type of filter you have on yours but on the older Chevrolet ('95 to 2005 according to the video) it was possible to unscreew the filter fromthe pipe rather than the pipe from the filter as shown here

·
Registered
402 Posts
The pipework does corrode quite badly. When I changed my filter a couple of years back, I'd oiled up the connection advance. It was the bracket and the fixing to the body that actually broke when I tried to get it off. (parts 9 and 10 on that diagram), The filter has been suspended on cable ties ever since.

As victor says, the pump runs full on all the time, which is what it is meant to do. Because I'm running on gas 98% of the time, I only ever have a maximum of 10 litres of petrol in the tank and that lasts for many, many months. I changed the filter as I realised that the same fuel was constantly circulating the filter and I had no idea what condition it might be in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
HI JMCroft these came from a Matiz of a similar age to your Kalos. If they look familiar they can be released without damage by pushing on the legs rather than prying the connecting piece. Good luck.

SAM_1541.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like the clip. Will have another try at the weekend when can get time to get under the car.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi JMCroft lets hope everything goes OK this weekend. One thing to watch - If after removing the connector locking clip you find you cannot separate the parts with just moderate hand pressure refit the clip and do no more.
Your garage may be spot on concerning corrosion. Within the connector there is an annular plastic retaining ring for the "O" ring seals. This is locked into the body of the connector during manufacture. The ring is a sliding fit on the metal filter pipe. With corrosion the metal oxide [rust] in contact with the annular ring expands and jams the ring onto the filter pipe. The filter can be separated from the connector but the excessive force needed is likely to overcome the ring's locking mechanism causing it to come free from the connector. At this point the connector is not fit for further use. Be careful.

·
Registered
402 Posts
JMCroft,

Good luck at the weekend. I've attached a picture that shows what went wrong when I changed my fuel filter. The "shield"/bracket was corroded onto the filter and detached completely from the bodyshell when force was applied....

One of those "C" clips that Jasta has shown dropped to bits from "plastic fatigue" when it was pulled back (on the left of the picture) and as it was a Sunday afternoon the cable tie was used to ensure that the pipe cannot slip off (due to the ring on the metal pipe into the filter), the one the other end survived, but is not visible in the picture as it comes in at a different angle.

Please note that I don't recommend cable ties as a substitute for the real parts, but this was done on a Sunday afternoon, and at the time the car was needed back in service for 06:00 Monday, and had 2000 miles to do before it could be off the road again. So at the very least have a few on hand in case it does go wrong for you.

That was 2 years ago and the picture was taken today, so it does last, but should get properly dealt with over the next week or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi again JMCroft. Have a look at this site for the fuel pipe arrangement on your Kalos. GM part numbers should also be available.

7zap.com

·
Super Moderator
7,219 Posts
Jim, Post #15 by Jasta gives a site. ........... 7Zap.com
You only need to enter 'Fuel Line Clips Matiz in your Search Engine and you'll find more.

As a new Forum Member the following link will help you complete your Forum Sign-Up. World Location is blank. Forum system believes you to be UK?
No details given on your vehicle year / engine / variant. Helpful to know .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have a parts diagram for the Kalos fuel system? As I took the car to a local garage for them to change the filter. They could not get the pipes off the filter. The fuel filter is the original one and has never been changed.
The garage recomended trying to get the fuel line from the tank to the filter and from the filter forward.

I had same problem with mine, would advise buying new locking clips before you start..,When I took mine off they were very brittle and broke very easy also had to twist and lever at same time to remove pipes.I can understand why garage didn't want to do it, nightmare of a small iob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts