Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Chevrolet captiva 2009 LTX VCDI
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I took up the challenge of changing the fuel pump on my 2009 captiva at the weekend as it hasn't been reading properly for a while now. 2 days later I finally had it installed 馃槕. I filled the tank to around half full and the fuel gauge read half a tank and the digital millage read 203 miles I then went for a 13 mile drive and the car read 190miles left so I was pleased and thought that the new pump had solved the problem. The the following morning I went and filled up with 拢30 more of diesel and that's when everything went down hill the car read full tank on the gauge and on the digital read out it read 348 miles then half a mile down the road it dropped to 300 miles then about 2 miles down the road it dropped to 280 miles. So basically it's just chucking random number out at me I know i have close to a full tank in the car. When I changed the pump I checked the sender unit and all the connectors that go to the fuel tank and also all the fuses and relays everything seems fine. So I am now scratching my head wounding what the problem could be. Any suggestions would he HIGHLY APPRECIATE!

thank you

Registered
There's two sender units in the tank Jackhammer, it's a saddle tank with two seperate compartments. The compartment on the rear passengers side holds the fuel pump and a sender unit, the other compartment has a sender unit only. It needs both sender units to be working for the gauge readings to make sense so the ECU sends the correct signal to the fuel gauge.

You could take a chance and just buy a new sender for the other half of the tank but have you scanned the system with a GM-compatible scanner to check for fault codes?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Victor thank you for the reply I have a saddle tank I only changed the fuel pump but I did inspect the sender unit and all seems fine. My only problem is that I have to drop the tank to change the sender unit so I would only like to do that agian if I know 100% that it is the sender unit that is failing as it is a pain of a job to do.

Thank you

Thank you

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Victor thank you for the reply I have a saddle tank I only changed the fuel pump but I did inspect the sender unit and all seems fine. My only problem is that I have to drop the tank to change the sender unit so I would only like to do that agian if I know 100% that it is the sender unit that is failing as it is a pain of a job to do.

Thank you

Thank you
Also no codes are showing on my scanner

Super Moderator
Also no codes are showing on my scanner
Important to note Victors suggestion " have you scanned the system with a GM-compatible scanner". Unless your scanner (unknown brand as you didnt state) is capable of GM codes you may well not detect everything.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi just scanned my vehicle and I'm getting P0089 code witch I believe to be fuel pressure regulator. Could this cause the fule gauge to read incorrectly? Thanks

Super Moderator
Hi just scanned my vehicle and I'm getting P0089 code witch I believe to be fuel pressure regulator. Could this cause the fule gauge to read incorrectly? Thanks
The short answer is - Maybe.
P0089 is a generic code which embraces several possibilities. It can be as simple as replacing the Fuel filter. Has this ever been done?
Further info here:- P0089 OBD-II Trouble Code: Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance
Have you read through any of the existing Forum posts? They can be useful in guiding your thoughts and semi answering some of your questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts