Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1.4 16v chevrolet Lacetti 2005 model. We have lost most of the gears in the gear box and can only get 3rd and 4th. I have been told I need to replace the gear box so have two questions. 1st can any one direct me to a good seller where I can buy a second hand gear box. 2nd question 05 09 CHEVROLET LACETTI 1.6 16V PETROL 108BHP 68K MC372 GEARBOX would this gear box be compatible to my 1.4 ?. please forgive the structure of my message as I have never been on a forum like this many thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi I have a 1.4 16v chevrolet Lacetti 2005 model. We have lost most of the gears in the gear box and can only get 3rd and 4th. I have been told I need to replace the gear box so have two questions. 1st can any one direct me to a good seller where I can buy a second hand gear box. 2nd question 05 09 CHEVROLET LACETTI 1.6 16V PETROL 108BHP 68K MC372 GEARBOX would this gear box be compatible to my 1.4 ?. please forgive the structure of my message as I have never been on a forum like this many thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am based in wolverhampton UK

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
Mark . I have moved your post here to the Lacetti Forum where it belongs.

As a new member the following link has helpful information on how to use the Forum and how to complete your Sign-Up in the correct locations.

As for where to obtain a suitable gear box you'll probably have to do your own shopping around ie breakers yards, online etc.
I dont think any member on this Forum is going to stick their neck out on verifying the suitability of a gearbox from a completely different model engine / year.

Mackies in Glasgow are Chevrolet gearbox repairers. You could ask them what it would cost to repair your existing or whether they have a refurbished one suitable.

The probable stark truth is that gearbox failure on a 16 year old vehicle is invariably 'financial death'. Cost of repair will probably cost far beyond the vehicles worth.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is a tricky question. The Lacetti does not have a big following, and the numbers are now low, due to high tax/no parts/ no street cred, etc. However, if you run a 2005 Lacetti, and want it to live on, then you have my respect. My storage garage if full of cars that have no right to exist in 2021, and some of them may never feel tarmac again.
First check the handbook. For the Aveo Chevrolet helpfully listed the gearbox type and gear ratios for the engine variants offered. Yours may be the same. The listings I could find suggest that the MC372 does suit both engines, but i cannot be sure.
Ed is correct of course, but I am a nutcase, who separates financial value and personal value into separate parts of his brain, and acts accordingly.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts