Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Well my Captiva journey continues.......I have a 2011 2.0L Diesel Captiva (Manual)(Old shape) so its just over 1 year old. Since Monday I have had trouble changing gear from 3rd to 2nd and now 1st to 2nd also? When I say trouble, I mean it changes ok but only with a crunch/grinding noise as if you aren't fully engaging the clutch - it's only happening on changing into 2nd?

I have investigated the obvious things&it is happening even when clutch properly pressed to floor? It's currently at the garage tonight awaiting it's fate tomorrow however I hate my local dealer andtend to distrust the majority of feddback that I get.

They have advised me that there is a chance this will not be a warranty matter but they will confirm tomorrow. If warranty it will be fixed. If not, they will charge me £70 to have looked at it then advise on repair bill

Needless to say I am not looking forward to tomorrow!! Anyway has anyone had any similar problems/issues and if so, what was the fix?

I just want to be armed with more details tomorrow so all advice would be welcomed, especially relating to the warranty cover?

Thanks folks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like a clutch flywheel problem to me, but hopefully I am wrong. I have posted a link to the chevrolet technical data, you can find information on transmission problems there.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Hi Doug, I have auto not manual box but first reaction wasmaybe the hydraulic fluid had leaked and therefore not getting full cutch movement. Any visible puddles of oil on drive?
Warranty; situation sounds strange for them to say it might not be covered by warranty!? On what basis do they say that on an 15 month old vehicle? Do you have a full three or five year warranty or was this a 'grey import' or ex-demonstrator or Series1 modelthat was sold to you with 'restrictions' on warranty? Better dust down your paperwork and arm yourself with the warranty docs ready to do battle (maybe). Best of luck tomorrow.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers So far guys,
No obvious signs of any leaks on the driveway Ed. I agree that I am fully prepared to stand firm on the warranty position. I bought the car brand new in June last year - it was registered in the March - no impact on warranty so the car has the standard 3 year cover.

I really enjoy the car and it suits us very well, however I am a little dissappointed I have a potential clutch/transmission issue with such a new car, which has only done 14,000 miles?

Fingers crossed fortomorrow and I'll let you know the outcome?

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry - also meant to say that when you look at the Chevrolet website warranty info - under transmission it seems to suggest the cluth is NOT COVERED??
We will see........

·
Registered
476 Posts
The first choice for the crunch is the clutch not separating completely but I would have thought that would show up more when selecting first or reverse when stationery. Second choice to me would be worn or damaged synchro cones or baulk rings in the gearbox, they act like mini clutches which marry up the relevant gears to the same speed before they engage [so as to eliminate that crunch] also that would explain why it only happens on certain gears. To remedy this is a complete gear box strip down but should be under warranty. always try to avoid fast gear changes and forcing the gear stick into gear, It doesn't half put those little syncro cones under a lot of pressure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good evening folks
Big Al, it seems you were probably spot on. Garage haven't investigated in any detail but they suspect Synchro problem which will require a full gear box strip down. Problem is they are chokka block and can't strip down gearbox till Monday now and they think they will need my car for a min of 10 days- added complication is me going on holiday next Thursday!

To give them their due on this occasion, the dealer has been very good today and pre-empted this by contacting Chevrolet, who will accept full warranty responsibility and have arranged for a like for like replacement car for the duration, which under the circumstances is pretty reasonable.

All in all along day and I am pretty dissappointed my Captiva has had this problem so early on. Suppose these things happen though and Chevy have come good. Fingers crossed for a full & comprehensive repair and no future issues!!

Thanks for all your input.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Doug, This is great news, rescued your holiday to boot!Also this response from your dealer and Chevy reinstalls confidence to all of us who read the 'not so helpful' side of dealers and Chevy on these pages. Pleased for you.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
Doug, This is great news, rescued your holiday to boot!Also this response from your dealer and Chevy reinstalls confidence to all of us who read the 'not so helpful' side of dealers and Chevy on these pages. Pleased for you.
Aussie Ed

Oh my God, Chevrolet are being helpful, And a big Congratulations for your dealer, Who are they so that we know? Say well done from all of us and keep us posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, it is indeed a huge weight off the shoulders to know that the dealer & Chevy havebeen great to deal with so far.

I have had issues in the past with the dealer being very unhelpful as you will have seen from previous posts but I have to say Arnold Clark, Linwood on this occasion couldn't have been better. Maybe it's to do with a new service manager in place? Whatever it is I don't mind as long as I can enjoy my hols & look forward to getting my car back fully repaired.

They also said they would check a 'MIL' code that appeared & dissappeared a month or so back - they wouldn't look at it at the time without a £40 charge, however this seems like a good opportunity for them to make me a happychappy.

Cheers again

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well done Arnold Clark!

Doug, I have posted a list of chevrolet captiva fault codes, (not all of them,) and also alink to autonet on another page which will give you a series of pages on the captiva, take a look. ORB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well good news - Arnold Clark & Chevrolet have come good and my car is ready for collection before my holiday, complete with brand new gearbox.

Chevy decided instead of waiting for a week + to repair, they opted to fit a brand new gearbox to get my car back in time - greatly impressed.

Cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think probably the new gearbox will have been aChevrolet decision. As you commented a gearbox should not have faults at that kindmillage so it is quite likely there has been some swarf or foreign matter in the box since new and could manifest in other faults in the future,so with labour costs the new box will be the safer option, and certainly the best option for you. Also Chevrolet will also want the box back untouched to investigate for there selves. Have a good holiday !!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Having been on the recieving end of an AC "technician" before, I think a replacement unit is a total no brainer, as I've never met one that could fix anything, they are usually only good for taking old bits off and putting new bits on. Good result!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Big Al said:
The first choice for the crunch is the clutch not separating completely but I would have thought that would show up more when selecting first or reverse when stationery. Second choice to me would be worn or damaged synchro cones or baulk rings in the gearbox, they act like mini clutches which marry up the relevant gears to the same speed before they engage [so as to eliminate that crunch] also that would explain why it only happens on certain gears. To remedy this is a complete gear box strip down but should be under warranty. always try to avoid fast gear changes and forcing the gear stick into gear, It doesn't half put those little syncro cones under a lot of pressure.

Hi Big Al. I am surprised these gear boxes have syncro cones, rather than baulk rings. I had a 1959 mini with the early cone syncros, and these boxes always crunched until they upgraded them to baulk rings.
Cheers

jegrugby

·
Registered
476 Posts
Have striped and re-built gear box's many years ago nowso not absolutely sure but thought they have combination of the two, the baulk rings stop the gears engaging until the syncro's have done there job of matching the two gears speeds, so that's why they added the baulk rings to stop the crunch.[cut my teeth on mini's, had one that used to steer from the back after the radius arm bearings failed, was a sod to keep in a straight line
whats an MOT.]

·
Registered
30 Posts
guys i posted a thread before i saw this - i have a 4 month ltz 2012, 4800miles - same issue as you describe but in 1st and 2nd gears. totally flattly denied liability and warranty on this. Say its posibly bad driving and poor clutch management. Evans Halshaw the dealers, they have been good, but i have a lemon of a vehicle since day 1.

any suggestions. i am using www.motorcodes.co.uk to help who are going to help me with chevrolet.

so angry

·
Registered
476 Posts
Get in touch with Doug B for his permission to use his case as precedence for your case of gearbox failure. 4800 miles is no length of time to be able toabuse a gearbox to manifest that kind of a problem or every driving school would be in line waiting for gearboxes every six months and that's comparing little corsa's to a big robust 4x4. Nonsensical its a production fault or have all your previous cars had to have new gearboxes !!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Would have to be appallingly bad driving and clutch management to get that problem with less than 5000 miles on the clock imo. I'm no expert but surely the problem, whatever it is, had to have been there from day one, so can't see how dealer/chevy can get out of a warranty based repair.
I must admit having had my manual lt for 8 months or so now, I can't give the gearbox many marks out of ten for efficiency of operation. My last car, a zafira, was a smooth as you like. As I say i am no mechanic but I was wondering if any of themore knowledgable guys out there know why the gearbox is so clunky, unsmooth and generally poor at changing especially 1, 2 and 3. Is it down to the quality of the gearbox itself, or does the increased weight of the car have any bearing on things? As I say i'm notvery knowledgable where car mechanics are concerned and it probably shows from those questions!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts