Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the CRUZE one of the best selling cars in the US but they can not give them away in the UK ? The UK spec is crap compared to the US . Do not buy a Cruze untill it comes with Tyre pressure monitor, powered foldback door mirrors, day notice lights. UInfortunately so few CRUZE are sold in the UK I would expect them to drop RHD models.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chevy marketing and advertising in the UK seems to be pretty non existent plus street cred and badge credentials are poor. The latter has a great history in the US but nothing over here.
The Cruze seems to sell well in the US, Australia and China but in Europe hopeless. The former trio all have production lines and Europe have none so may be thats the key?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHICH ? magazine says the car is crap with a poor resale value, that is one of the reasons. Actually I find my Diesel 150 bhp auto cruze very good apart from the ride. An annoyance is the instrument panel which looks good when lit at night but during the day especially when wearing sun glasses or travelling fast the it can not be read. Black markings on a white background are best Eventually will probably go the way of the Dodge Caliber insufficient sales and might be withdrawn from the UK.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had a Renault Laguna with tyre pressure monitoring- believe me, that's not an upgrade....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I owned two Dodge Calibers and found the instruments & the tyre pressure monitor excellent 100% accurate, and I miss both including the compass, powered foldback door mirrors etc.However the car has failed in the UK and it looks like Chevrolet will go the same way. I think the new Daewoo Aveo is a heap of rubbish. It has space for a spare wheel not supplied.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chevrolet cars in the UK depreciate so quickly (for example there are some 11 plate epica's for sale right now for £6500 - a massive loss) that buying new makes little if no sense at all. Shame really as the line-up shares much of the technology with that of Vauxhall / Opel. I don't think the cars are bad cars (Epica / Lacetti and old Aveo aside) its just the Uk motoring journ's have dealt them some pretty bad press.

However, in my opinion the models I've driven just dont handle or drive as well as that of Ford, VX or the french marques. They are not drivers cars - for example drive the new Astra and then the Cruze. Based on the same chassis yet very different when it comes to ride and handling.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 11 plate Epica are old stock from Southern Ireland, prob got no factory warranty left.
Check the Vin, will prob be 7Bxxxxxx which means its a 2007 model year car!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find the roadholding on the Cruze is very good indeed and I can see why it has twice won the WTC obviously the WTC cars must be to a better spec. However the ride is very poor on rough UK roads and should have the Watts Z link suspension. The resale value is poor as immediately stated by Which ? so you have to buy one at a good discount. At one time they were offering 5 year free service in addition to a 5 year warranty. I paid £14500 for my auto diesel LT 150 bhp two years ago and it is now worth £7750. However I do not know of any other car that looks as good or has the turbo diesel performance at anywhere near £14500, from the side view the Cruze could be a Audi, BMW or Lexus. Chev UK are absolutely useles when it comes to marketing/

·
Registered
380 Posts
My wifes neighbour in the middle east has a cruze 1.6 and is happy with it, and I have seen a few being used as taxis out there, (they don't allow diesel in cars in jordan). I quite like the cruze, in fact I quite like the new aveo, too and now we have decent dealer here there is the possibility that i would consider one of them. The epica has now done a mere 33000 miles and is running fine, although it is only worth £4300 approx as a trade in, so might just run it till it drops, consideration being that i trust our new dealer here. ( I have had a previous vehicle looked after by them and their labour charge is a very acceptable £70 an hour + vat.)There is no hurry, the epica will be 3 in july, and apart from servicing and the 5000 mile intermittent oil changes, the only thing it has cost me is the discs and pads last week, and refuse to complain about that on a 33000 mile car.
happy easter all!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You must be driving very slowly or very carefully to go 33000 miles before requiring new pads. ? My pads 70% worn on my turbo diesel Cruze at 17500 miles , Evans Halshaw reported after my second free service.

·
Registered
380 Posts
if the pads hadn't been sticking and worn the grooves into the discs as well as detaching from the backing plate they would have lasted another 5000 miles minimum. I tend not to brake hard as i allow the car to slow naturally, although i have recorded some nice high average speeds in europe, where there is a lot more tolerance on the roads, There again the traffic here is a lot less than in london, and most of my mileage comes from those 200 miles up and down the m4 as well as trips to france and belgium. here a queue of traffic is where you wait once for the lights to change, then you're through... Don't necessarily believe the dealer when they say pads 70% worn. We were encouraged to tell the customers change the pads at a serviceif we did not think they would last till the next service.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
You carry on being a disbeliever. Garages the world over are all the same. I've just come back from Australia where the dealer (Ford in this instance) told me on my first service that the pads were over 60% worn and should be replaced. Being a 'disbeliever' Icheckedthem; original OEM 18mm was down to 16mm - in other words they were only 2mm worn (12% worn), not 60% as claimed, with 88% remaining. The average non-techinal motorist would fall for the 'you had betterget them changed sir' and part with money unnecessarilyor possibly just have them sprayed with brake cleaner and the same ones left on - but charge you for new! With the few exceptions mentioned through these postings, treat garages as robbers and thieves (see also posting re stolen USB stick). To any garage/dealer reading this, it is a pity you have brought this reputation upon yourselves.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sadly . After all my years in the motor trade, Got to agree with you, aussi ed, I have witnessed an oil change fitter with a collection of new filter cartridges, seen someone tell a customer he needed a new cylinder head, (and his own car which also needed a cylinder head also happened to need one, so the customers old head would go on the mechanics car, perfectly serviceable!),(managed to stop that one in its tracks, but i was not popular for a while!I would urge anyone getting their car serviced or repaired nowadays to put in writing what you want doing and agree a price too, and DON'T be afraid to say that you can get the work done elsewhere if the work is not part of the recommended service interval. Ther ARE good dealers out there, but generally submerged by the baddies.

Happy Motoring all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts