Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Many thanks to all the guys who make this site an entertaining andfriendlyplace to be.

I will soon be picking up my first SUV, a Demo Captiva 2.2D LTZ, 2012 with 4000kms (2485.48 miles). I chose the Captiva after testing out some stiff competition from Hundai, Kia and the excellent Subaru XV.

In the end the Captiva was the most well rounded, spacious and best priced vehicle for me.

I have a few questions about the interior and a fewnecessarymods I mean to undertake, if you guys have any knowledge on these please can you assist me.

In SA wedon'thave the option for a SATNAV so I need to fit anafter-marketone like so :http://www.stopshop.co.za/buy-chevrolet-captiva-dvd-gps-satnav/2824-buy-chevrolet-captiva-dvd-gps-touchscreen-ssas-chevrolet060-.html

However my salesman warned me that it would be impossible to fit one of these due to the immovableon-boardcomputerthatsits on the upper front dash.
Has anyone found a way around this?

I am also coming from a Lexus IS 250 SE sedan which had a reverse camera which in alargecar like the Captiva I willdesperatelyneed, I am opting for one of these if the abovedoesn'twork:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=wireless+reversing+camera+kit+bluetooth

Lastly as I will be doing a fair bit of sightseeing with the family a rear entertainment set is needed, anyone with any knowledge of these :
http://www.stopshop.co.za/headrest/2714-7-headrest-dvd-digital-monitor-sshrd-7m-.html

Lastly here's a pic my new toy to be, I look forward to hearing back from you chaps :)

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Welcome on board our forum RemusX. Great choice of car - like the colour too. I think Chevy should give us more colour choice here in UK. Dont know how your Warranty situation works in SA with demo models; check this as often here ex demos only have 12 months as some of our UK contributors toposts have frustratinglyfound out.
Looks like you have done some good home work on after market options. The satnav looks to be fantastic value if I have done my exchange ratefigures correctly (about £225). Dont know about not being able to fit it, I wouldnt have thought Chevy would position something else behind as it would complicate the mass production capability. I'll see if I can find any exploded diagrams . Which variant are you getting - the C100 or C140? just make sure because I note the SatNav says it is for C100. Look forward to your contributions and experience with you new car. By the way I also considered and test drove Honda, Kia & Hyundai before chosing Captiva.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Aussie Ed

Funny thing is the bluedoesn'tshow-up on the Chev SA website. I wanted the white but the blue really grew on me.

Thanks for the headsup on the warranty, I see the additional warranty exclusions after 12 months are:
Exhaust system
Shock absorbers
Fuel system corrosion
Radio, speakers, aerial and CD player
Batteries of alarm/immobiliser remote control
Vehicle`s battery
All friction material

The above scares me as theres alot in there that I dont understand like "friction material"

Aussie Ed said:
The satnav looks to be fantastic value if I have done my exchange ratefigures correctly (about £225).
SA customs is a rip-off, the unit will land me close to£421 after VAT and customs charges on car parts (30%) :(

Aussie Ed said:
I'll see if I can find any exploded diagrams . Which variant are you getting - the C100 or C140? just make sure because I note the SatNav says it is for C100.
I see the C100 is only available on the site, are the UK variants all C140?

Aussie Ed said:
By the way I also considered and test drove Honda, Kia & Hyundai before chosing Captiva.
Add the Mitsubishi ASX, Qashqai and Sorento to the list, eachvehiclehad itstrengthsbut the Captiva edged them outevery time, I'm stoked with my choice

Edited by: RemusX

·
Registered
997 Posts
Friction Material is brake pads and the clutch disc. If worn, they are wear and tear items that are not usually covered under warranty (failure due to leaks etc of other parts may be covered though, eg an oil leak which covers the clutch disc in oil).

The dash in the C100- the old shape Captiva is significantly different tio the C140 new shape (which yours is) so I'm not sure I'd go there.

I alos had both front shocks on my Captiva replaced at 2 yrs 6 months under warranty, so don't take that as read.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Add to 'friction materials' - tyres, fan belts, brake pads which are subject to operational wear and tear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it cam belts as well, though changing them is expensive I only have to do this at around the 40000 mile mark i presume.

Any advice on handling and body roll? Is there a significant learning curve coming from a sedan to a SUV?
Edited by: RemusX

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you have the 2.2 diesel there is no cam belt, it's a chain drive.
Not sureI would include tyres and fan belts as friction materials (and I'm not sure that was what the manufacturer intended either); they do produce friction and you could argue without friction they'd be useless, but i've never heard them described in those terms before. |they have other functions that are more primary than producing friction.

Extra warranty- depends on your perspective. If you think that spending some money up front will save you in the long run, go ahead. If you're prepared to gamble on nothing major going wrong in the period, then it may not be worth it. Maybe the peace of mind would help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car is newish, I doubt I will have issues over this period and the warranty may interfere with the mods I am to perform.

I think il chance it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys, so the deal on the blue Captiva fell through sadly, the stealership added a wopping R20000 (£1500) onto my OTP at the last minute so I had to walk away.

The good news is I picked up a White 2012, LTZ not long after the shenanigans and already started adding some of the mods discussed.

So far I have added a pair of Audiovox headrest monitors for the kids and a reverse camera/TomTom GPS for driver navigation with TomTom maps

So far I am thoroughly enjoying my new ride and gadgets :)

Headrest Monitor : These come with 2 x pairs of wireless headphones or can be played on the radio via the FM transmitter. They even match the trim perfectly.

Reverse Camera connected to the front mirror

Installing the mirror was a bit tricky but they managed to fit it in with some help. The screen can view the movie playing in the rear, switch to the built in TomTom navigation, the rear camera engages when in reverse, has built in bluetooth and even has an SD card slot for entertainment.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Neat gadgets there... I assume the screen/mirror will not play the movie when the car is moving. If so, that wont be legal in the UK (or most of Europe). It is ok, if it displays the SatNav or Menus, just not allowed to play Movies or TV for obvious reasons.
How are the headrests powered... Did you have to run cabling through the seats, and if so... How ? Always wondered how you guys do that, without opening up the upholstery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks K.L - The same laws apply here in S.A but being aftermarket stuff my fitment guysdidn'theed the precautions and so can be viewed while driving.

Onedoesn'thave to be law abiding to be sensible so I never keep the movie showing and only ever have the GPS window openwhilein motion.

The headrests are wired into the car somehow, not having done it personally I wondered that myself as there are no tell tale signs of wiring etc. I assume both monitors have a cable between each other and connect to the battery maybe.

I cant seem to upload the pic of both monitors and mirror workingtogether. Something about malicious code

Anyways in there you can even see no wires even in the metal arms of the headrests. Quite neat.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Nice.. real nice. Neat job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Aussie, will post a pic or 2 of the exterior once I figure out the image upload issue.

My next mod is a set of white globes or HID's then I think I'm done, unless anyone has a mod or 2 to recommend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts