Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
When I got Zippy I noticed a drip of oil on the bottom of the transaxle, and saw what looked like silicone sealant on the cover joint. I managed to get about 1/4 turn on those lower casing bolts and it seemed to be dry for a few days. I've just noticed that there is a drip there again ("the drip that never dropped") looking like a very slow leak from the transaxle cover.
Tonight I put my head underneath and had a look with a torch, and it looks like the leak is actually coming from the drivers side half-shaft oil seal and running down to the bottom of the casing.
Has anyone ever replaced these seals on the Matiz? The last time I did one was on an old BMC Mini, in about 1969..
I assume the Matiz is the same and the seal just drives into the case from outside once the half-shaft is taken out?
I've looked in my online manual but can't actually find the procedure.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi pete. Drive shaft seal replacement is similar to your BMC Mini.
Check for seal ref using 96567757 or 35x52x8.
Ball joint pinch bolt replace to 60Nm.
Oil level plug, replace to 40Nm.
Drain plug, replace to 30Nm. A smear of Hylomar on threads is a good leak stopper.
Gear box oil 75W-85W [2.1 litre capacity].
A workshop tool is used to replace seals but large socket should do.
Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jasta.
Many thanks for all the information, it's appreciated. Am I correct in thinking that it only becomes an MOT failure when it's leaking out enough to become a safety issue? This is a very minor drip so I don't think it would even be noticed at MOT time, but I will order the parts ready to get it done.
Pete

·
Registered
239 Posts
jasta.
Many thanks for all the information, it's appreciated. Am I correct in thinking that it only becomes an MOT failure when it's leaking out enough to become a safety issue? This is a very minor drip so I don't think it would even be noticed at MOT time, but I will order the parts ready to get it done.
Pete
A minor leak as mentioned would not contribute to a safety issue. Just check the casing before your MOT and clean if required.
The points you have mentioned suggest that the transaxle has been subject to repair/replacement. In your position I would give the oil level a check immediately.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi jasta,
After seeing the sealant on the joint I did think some work has been done there. I do hope the seal replacement is all that's required. We will see.
Pete

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi jasta,
After seeing the sealant on the joint I did think some work has been done there. I do hope the seal replacement is all that's required. We will see.
Pete
Well afer retightening my alternator and ps/aircon belts I found a 3/8 square and used lots of extension bars to reach in to undo the level plug. I think they must have had a gorilla in the garage that serviced it, blue loctite and about 200 Nm on the level plug...I had to use my power bar to slacken it off.
Plenty of oil in there though, seeping out when I removed the plug.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Pete the outflow of oil is a good sign. It is just possible the the seep around the drive shaft seal is due to overfilling. It may be useful to clean everything off and after some vehicle use see if the matter is now sorted. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks jasta.
When I took the plug out the oil came out with a surge, so I think you could be right. The leak certainly seems to have slowed down. I've cleaned off the area around the seal so I'll be watching. Let's hope!
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts