Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after much procrastination, I eventually got around to swopping the leaking half-shaft oil seal on the drivers side.
It's a biggish job only insomuch as most of the nuts and bolts are large sized and, if your
Matiz is like mine, quite rusted (but mine were also covered in Waxoyl) so very messy!
The first thing was to get the car jacked up, onto axle stands and the nearside wheel off. Then I had to put together
a "plug" spanner from assorted sockets and extensions to reach the gearbox filler and drain plugs. I used 1/2" extensions, long and short, and a 12mm, long reach socket into which I put the hex end of the gearbox plug (it's a 3/8" square) secured with gaffer tape and total length about 2 feet! I still needed to use a power bar to crack both plugs as they were secured with blue loctite! What a job. The gearbox oil was then drained.
The suspension components came off after much huffing and puffing. I slackened the track rod end, but then left it on until I'd slackened the rest. Next I took off the complete caliper with the linings held in place with an expanding brake tool and left it on a large plant pot, still connected by the brake hose.
I then took off the ABS sensor and attacked the two large bolts which hold the hub onto the strut, copper easing them for the future! Next was the small ball joint going into the hub at the bottom. The hub came off after a bit of jiggling and a screwdriver between the ball joint and the lower suspension arm. The halfshaft eventually slid out with a little help from a large screwdriver between it and the transaxle casing to pry it out. It eventually it all went back together with the new seal and lots of copper eased nuts and bolts. Putting it back in is a little tricky due to limited space. I used the time-honoured socket and hammer method..
Seal info. I eventually used a 35x52x10mm seal from Simply Bearings, Leigh, UK.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure why the photos are doubled up, but couldn't find a way to delete them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Excellent job. Where did you source the oil seal from ?(for the benefit of others).

Also like your 1970's/80's HiFi set up, much like my own, a mixture of Akai, Sony and Wharfedale! That tape deck looks like a 1982 Sony.

I think the double images come from clicking thumbnail and full picture. I could find no way of deleting duplicates when I did that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Metro 1000.
I've ammended the post to include the oil seal info.
The tape deck is actually a Sharp, and the tuner amp you can see on the bottom is a (retired) Rotel! I've also got Wharfedale Denton speakers, a Cambridge CD player and Yamaha RXV350 home cinema type tuner/amp. All ancient but functioning!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good job @Bikerpete51 Don't mean to be nit picky but have to ask, when you wrote ".... assorted sockets and extensions to reach the gearbox filler and drain plugs. I used 3/4" extensions, long and short....." surely you don't mean 3/4" drive, the ones I see look like 1/2" drive or maybe even 3/8" drive? But well done and good with the photos, makes all the difference.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good job @Bikerpete51 Don't mean to be nit picky but have to ask, when you wrote ".... assorted sockets and extensions to reach the gearbox filler and drain plugs. I used 3/4" extensions, long and short....." surely you don't mean 3/4" drive, the ones I see look like 1/2" drive or maybe even 3/8" drive? But well done and good with the photos, makes all the difference.
Doh!
Didn't I put 1/2" drive? ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Victor, having been involved with the printing industry for many years I agree that a fondness for alcohol runs throughout the industry. It may be too much time spent around alcohol damped printing presses.. 😒

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Further update:
Well after driving my Matiz with its new oil seal I got home and looked underneath to see if it was sealing, and...
Oil was coming out a lot faster than before!
I've pulled it apart again and looking at the seal it's no wonder why. The new seal was 35x52x8mm but compared side by side shows the difference. The original seal that I took out has a 9.5mm width, plus an additional sealing ring so it's actually 2 seals, one is just over 35mm and the inner ring is actually more like 34. I'm no seal expert so I've ordered one which is actually 10mm, not sure if this one will have the "double ring" like the original. If not I'll put the old one back in.
I think the real reason it's started leaking in the first place though is excessive wear in the transaxle bearing on that side.
I'm undecided at the moment whither to get shut of the car for not much money, or buy a used gearbox and try and fit that in. I'm just wondering what could have caused my original to go, because the gaskets show that the 'box has been off before, so this seems to be the second time there's been a problem with it. Watch this space...

·
Registered
829 Posts
I feel gutted for you mate, all that work for nowt basically. If the bearing is knackered then it's gonna go again but I hope you get better luck with the wider seal and give you a bit more time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well yesterday I received the two seals I ordered from "Simply Bearings" in Leigh. One was 9.0mm wide and has a single sealing ring at 35mm. The second was 10mm wide and has 2 sealing surfaces, both at the specified 35mm inner diameter, whereas the original seals rings were one at 34 and one at 35.2mm. I'm not sure what the purpose of this larger additional ring is but it's obviously not primarily a sealing ring.
I've fitted the 10mm seal yesterday with plenty of grease, and eased the half shaft in, all back together again and refilled with oil. Guess what, not a drip! I have ammended the post to include this seal. The original is however 35x52x9.5 which I guess might be available somewhere, but I didn't manage to find one on any of the sites I visited. Since the original seal lasted almost a year I'm hoping I have a similar period with this one to decide what to do with the car.

·
Registered
829 Posts
........ I've fitted the 10mm seal yesterday with plenty of grease, and eased the half shaft in, all back together again and refilled with oil. Guess what, not a drip! I have ammended the post to include this seal. The original is however 35x52x9.5 which I guess might be available somewhere, but I didn't manage to find one on any of the sites I visited. Since the original seal lasted almost a year I'm hoping I have a similar period with this one to decide what to do with the car.
Mybe the next site you should visit is Ebay Cars for Sale:)

·
Registered
389 Posts
What a nightmare. I feel for you. Maybe use the time to track down the exactly correct seal? The Matiz has been made and sold all over the place and especially in less well off countries so they must exist even if GM have abandoned us. I can't see that Indians would dump a car because of an oil seal...

I already have a list of bits to buy for my Aveo, for "stock", clutch, exhaust, lower arms, etc.. since its piling on the miles again, expected to reach 100,000 in a month or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Victor, that's a definite possibility! Well at least I'm not losing oil at the moment.
Metro 1000. The seal I've got in now is doing a great job, I'm just not sure for how long. But the underlying problem is obviously the worn bearing. I need to decide if I want the challenge of swopping the box over on my driveway. Oh, and a second-hand box will be at least £150. My insurer recently told me the cars market value is only £250....
Pete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts