Chevrolet Owners Club banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
So sorry for the delay. Here are some pictures. The climate UI issue is still a bit annoying, but it’s not enough to make me want to go back. Apple CarPlay works perfectly, as does the reversing camera.
That looks so good. I'd have that fitted 100% but would want the climate control settings to come up. I might have a look on Ali express again

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
Hi hope this is ok to ask. Which model Captiva did you put the head unit in. It looks fantastic. Thanks in advance.
Newty,
member Pederolazzo does give his vehicle details in his Footer (signature). It is a 2012 Series 2 auto
Possibly if you are using a mobile app rather than computer the 'footer' info can apparently be cropped.

We dont know what your vehicle is as you havent added it to your Footer. It is helpful to do so so that forum readers can identify your model/year/series etc. You can do this by going to Tools>Quick links>Edit Signature

·
Super Moderator
7,292 Posts
Looks even better with IOS13 on the Apple CarPlay!

Pederolazzo, After something like 4 years worth of various posts on what to replace the defunct original equipment with, this is the first what appears to be fully comprehensive unit which would appear to fully integrate and provide total compatibility.
Well done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi! I've just purchased my first Captiva and I was wondering if it's possible to fit a head unit just like the one on this thread to my Captiva that only has a DIC? Is there any specific requirements that needs to be considered?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

how with you made to connect the camera back to your GPS Tesla, I can not find the connection to do

Thank you in advance for your help

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys I'm french, The DIC is the screen or there is the GPS?
If this is my opinion you can not have the screen tesla, ask the seller if it is possible!
You must have air conditioning on a separate screen, in blue!
In this case it seems to me that you need another system like the one I sell and then you can put your air conditioning screen and have the upper part with all you need!
I did not have this air conditioning screen and suddenly I did not have the display on the top screen, what year is your captiva ???
that's what I tried and I'm selling!

https://www.chevroletownersclub.co....-replacement-chevrolet-captiva.html#post39233

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi! I've just purchased my first Captiva and I was wondering if it's possible to fit a head unit just like the one on this thread to my Captiva that only has a DIC? Is there any specific requirements that needs to be considered?
Hi, if you want to keep the DIC you should go for the smaller screen, thus keeping temperature control display as moving to Tesla style screen you can lose this function, I have the Tesla one intalled today and can't get the temperature monitor function to work. Second, if you are going for the Tesla style, you might have to mod (cut) your old dash panel trim to fit the big screen if you have a RHD (UK) Captiva as the big screen unit only comes with a LHD dash trim replacement.

Hello,

how with you made to connect the camera back to your GPS Tesla, I can not find the connection to do

Thank you in advance for your help
As far as my research goes, the oem camera is not compatible with the Chinese head units, but you can install the cheap reverse cameras easily and attach it to the RCA connector for these units. I have just installed my Tesla screen today but haven't gone far into doing the reverse camera.. I plane to convert the OEM into RCA by cuttiing and replacing the connectors to fit the unit or just get the reg number holder camera as I have one hanging around as well, but will only be able to do it when the weather becomes warmer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My original head unit with broken satnav.

Missing dashboard trim.. I have bought a replacement one on eBay to mod it to fit and will save the original one just in case I change my mind.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does the dual climate control works well with this gps system? Can you put a link with the place where you've bought it? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, if you want to keep the DIC you should go for the smaller screen, thus keeping temperature control display as moving to Tesla style screen you can lose this function, I have the Tesla one intalled today and can't get the temperature monitor function to work. Second, if you are going for the Tesla style, you might have to mod (cut) your old dash panel trim to fit the big screen if you have a RHD (UK) Captiva as the big screen unit only comes with a LHD dash trim replacement.

I own a LHD Captiva so if it comes with LHD dash trim replacement I should be good. My question is though: can I get it to work with all functions (maybe excluding the said temperature control) if my Captiva doesn't have the navigation screen (only DIC)? Also: Can You recommend some smaller screens You mentioned?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does the dual climate control works well with this gps system? Can you put a link with the place where you've bought it? Thanks!
The climate control works, but the screen function for it doesn't. So as stated by previous posters on this thread, you will end up adjusting temperature according to your comfort within the car as there is no display to tell you what the climate control is set at.

I own a LHD Captiva so if it comes with LHD dash trim replacement I should be good. My question is though: can I get it to work with all functions (maybe excluding the said temperature control) if my Captiva doesn't have the navigation screen (only DIC)? Also: Can You recommend some smaller screens You mentioned?
If you are not bothered with just "feeling out" the temperature within the car, then go for the big screen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32965870205.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.257220dev9ekVx&algo_pvid=b7055a52-a0a4-4bfd-be31-e63c3097ea6a&algo_expid=b7055a52-a0a4-4bfd-be31-e63c3097ea6a-3&btsid=eff941a0-f054-4390-a09e-8bf80b4254ad&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_10,searchweb201603_55

Check that link, but be sure the ad corresponds with the year of your car. There are plenty of them on Aliexpress but just read the reviews. They can paint you a picture if the product is what you want. You can add your DIC on this setup thus keeping temp display.

My thoughts on it..

This is not my first time to use android based head unit, but in general android head units are the way to go as they are packed with more features and highly customisable according to your preference (as long as you get to keep the original car features you need).

If you get the hex core processor, the screen is very snappy and responsive. I also have installed and use another android head unit on my other car which is only a dual core and I could really tell the difference.

Losing the climate control display is a big deal breaker for a lot of people such as me but unfortunately I am stuck with this as I gambled on it, so I'll just roll with it.

Most functions like your steering wheel buttons (you have to manually set it yourself, which is pretty straightforward) are still functional.

The Tesla screen is quite overpowering the first few times you are driving your car as the BIG SCREEN will really catch your attention.

Also there is one button / symbol that does not correspond with my original one as on my original unit it's a parking sensor warning light but on the Tesla screen it is a seatbelt warning light. (I will take a picture of this when I get the time.)

General Tips when choosing your Android Head Units:

1: Go for Android 7 and above as what I've researched from 2 years ago, the older operating systems are not quite optimised as the newer ones.
2: Get the Quad, Hexa or Octa cores.. As I said, I have one which is a dual core and now a hexa core and I could really tell the difference and even tempted to replace my older unit on myother vehicle.
3: Always check if you get the right trims for your car as some cars either LHD or RHD have very specific dash design and most Chinese product cater only to LHD vehicles.
4: Always make sure you get to keep the original features of your older head unit which are important to you as most of these replacement units you might lose some of them. I have also lost some functions on my other vehicle when I replaced its head unit.

·
Registered
2013 diesel auto 7 lx cg awd Holden (Aust rhs drive)
11 Posts
I have just added the "tesla' china (alliexpress) version consol connected successfully to my captiva 2013 lx 7 di. (AU HOLDEN) rhd now. All with working ac controls and temp, trip and canbus readings live. It did require some changes to the wiring pins but now works perfectly. It is also compatible with the eom camera fitted to the rear. I will upload photos of the unit and am happy to show the process to fit and the pins to use. I would recommend that anyone frustrated with their oem stereo and satnav look tp upgrade.

·
Registered
Holden Captiva 7 LX - Turbo Diesel - 2009
4 Posts
I'm really interested in learning from your experience Jim. I just bought a 2009 Holden Captiva LX turbo diesel. My dash is most likely different to yours. In fact it's different to most in that it came with a factory fitted Holden screen. It seems I don't have many options. One is to put in a smaller screen (which I'd be happy with) except the only available option I can find is to put it down low.... where the radio/stereo currently is! I don't like that option. Have to take my eyes off the road to look down at nav.... AND it means I'd have 2 screens with the top one dead! I think that's a no go.
So... seriously looking at the HUGE tesla style one from Ali Express. It's way more than I wanted... but if I'm going to do it I'd love to have everything working!! ANY advice is gratefully received!! Annie

41 - 57 of 57 Posts