Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning

Please can someone give advice on this issue.

We use a garage who don't really see many other Chevrolets and the problem appears hard to fix.

Car light with spanner on has been on since about March which is around when it was serviced so I assumed they hadn't turned the service light off. I didn't know this could mean there was a fault!!

Car has been struggling to start for a couple of weeks, turning over maybe twice as long as normal.

It is a Captiva LTZ 2013 and has done 58000 miles.

Had 4 new tyres fitted and a service a month ago.

We drove from Cumbria to Devon on holiday on Saturday fully loaded with bags galore and 5 of us in the car. Made it about three quarters of the way here when it suddenly lost power on the motorway. As we were on the flat it maintained speed and my husband read the manual which says to pull over switch off for 10 seconds and start again. This worked for about 20 mins.

I hit a big hill on a dual carriageway about 20 mins from destination and lost power again, thank god some genius had put a layby just there as we went from 70 to stop within about 30 seconds.

Our garage plugged it in and said there may be an injector fault but that it should be fine to drive to Devon in. Sadly this is not the case and it's now broken down 6 times 3 days. Said they'll have to take it to bits when we get home.

There is a Chevrolet garage 10 minutes from where we are staying, am I wrong to be hopeful that they'll be able to fix this problem quickly or at all?? I'm going to ring them today. Having read this forum it seems lots of people have struggled with this and there is no quick fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I maybe should have said, there is a whirring sound at certain revs and the garage changed a bearing but it wasn't a bearing. I didn't think it was because the whirring wasnt all the time but they did it anyway.

Anddddd.... about a month or so ago I accidentally let the car run out of fuel. Completely. Literally broke down 6 foot short of the forecourt!! Didn't know if this has blocked some filter but surely this will have been looked at in its recent service? And would the computer flag up a filter problem when it was plugged in?Edited by: mrsB1987

·
Registered
232 Posts
Was there any smoking of any sort at any time.?

You need to mention what engine the car has, assuming it is diesel...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
mrsB1987 said:
Sorry I maybe should have said, there is a whirring sound at certain revs and the garage changed a bearing but it wasn't a bearing. I didn't think it was because the whirring wasnt all the time but they did it anyway.

Anddddd.... about a month or so ago I accidentally let the car run out of fuel. Completely. Literally broke down 6 foot short of the forecourt!! Didn't know if this has blocked some filter but surely this will have been looked at in its recent service? And would the computer flag up a filter problem when it was plugged in?
You may have pulled some fuel tank silt through the cartridge fuel filters ( There are 2 Filters ) and may have gone through the HP fuel pump and / blocked some injector nozzle holes. Have you run the engine with injector cleaner within the fuel, Millers / Redex for example..?

The fuel filters are changed ( 2 ) at service. Are these noted as changed on your invoice sheet..? Your LTZ is same vintage as mine with a few thousand more miles. I would also ask that your Captiva has been serviced every 10,000 miles, as all Series 2 Captiva's are at this interval and must not be skipped.

Edited by: Scouse-Mafia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!

Sorry, yes it is a diesel it's the 2.2 diesel model.

Not tried anything with injector cleaner as zip all knowledge on cars!! The service history does say it had filters replaced.

Today it went into a garage to be investigated (away from home so no idea what it's like) and they phoned a said alot of errors had come up mainly the failed injector being the biggest problem... cost £69 for them to diagnose, quoted £430 to replace the injector "and then we'll be able to see what else needs fixing"

Jesus Christ. Will end up costing more than the bloody holiday we are currently "enjoying"!!

I've had the car since about 14k miles and it's now about 58k, and I think it's been serviced 3 times possibly 4.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ask them to clear the codes, fill 1/2 a tank with Vpower diesel and a bottle of diesel injection cleaner. Take it for a 30 minute drive and see if it makes a difference.

My 2 cents worth after owning and maintaining many diesel vehicles....assuming that their diagnosis is near that is.

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Sorry I'm picking up on this post subject a bit late but the background is puzzling. On your last post you say that 'the filters' were replaced - what we need to ensure is whether the filters referred to were the normal air / cabin pollen filters or more specifically the fuel filters. The likelihood of fuel debris carry through sounds very possible from your earlier explanation of running out of fuel previously.It is just possible that it is something totally unrelated, but loss of power could well be fuel starvation. The vehicle can also go into 'limp home mode' for several other reasons but without knowing what the diagnostic error codes were that were downloaded then it is hard to say.

My next question, (yes some of you regulars will know what's coming), having owned it since about 14K and now 58k, the first part of your ownership I would think it was still under the original Chevrolet Warranty which would have expired sometime in 2016? It seems clear from your post and concern about the cost that you havent taken out Extended Warranty. Had you have done so this vehicle would have probably been covered (subject to the type of plan).

Keep us posted on outcome.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your replies.

I spoke with the garage this morning and the injector hadn't arrived yet. I asked about filling it with vpower etc and they said their guy knows what he is doing and will check diagnostics again after fitting the injector. I feel abit like he wasn't listening and I was just fobbed off.

However we won't be paying them anything above the cost of replacing the injector as hopefully that will be enough to get us home and our usual mechanic will look it over then and listen to your suggestions. We phoned him yesterday to say what this garage had quoted and said etc and he said that when he checked diagnostics the day before we drove down to Devon there was only 1 error and that was the injector. So this garage saying there's loads doesn't really add up but like I've said previously I'm no expert!!

We never really bother with extended warranty as we live so far away from all the garages we've ever bought from, and luckily my husband's business pays our garage bills, buy this repair wont be covered as it's not going on our usual garage bill it's a different garage.

I have zero idea what filters were changed!! Stupidly assumed there was only 1 type of filter. What a dork!

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Regarding the number of error codes, it is possible that the injector failure may have triggered others in the process during the journey. The other reason could be that depending upon the code reader your local home garage uses it may not identify all of them because GM have some weird ones. Some codes will be 'active' and others will be 'historical' (stored). I'm getting the impression from your posts that you use a local garage but not necessarily one with GM equipment so it is possible the garage near where you are on holiday may have wider scope of reading. You dont say where you are located other than the UK but if you register (free) with www.mychevrolet.eu you can see what recalls may be listed as well as locate your nearest Chevrolet service dealer plus other information.

As for Extended Warranty; where you bought the car or where you live has absolutely no relevance what so ever in respect of taking out Extended Warranty. Just like where you live, your house insurance can be taken out with whom ever you like. Same with Extended Car Warranty. You then take it to a service repair dealer locally. You can find out more by using the search tab on this forum when you get home from your holiday. You can still take out Extended Warranty; Warranty Wise for example offers various options and for your mileage you can take out their 6/60 option (ie under six years / under 60,000 miles). If you are planning to keep the vehicle for a while it may well be worth exploring.

Filters - yes your vehicle has loads of them all doing a different task.

Keep us posted if the injector solves your problems. It is nice to hear the outcome of posts as it helps other readers who may have similar problem.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
The EGR valve is vary common problem on several diesel cars, like Volvo 70.And i doubt that the captiva is an exeption.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My zafira DTi suffered from the EGR jamming and bring the engine light and limp mode on, so the symptoms are the same. It does however throw up a specific code. Solution was to remove it and block it off, with difficulty. Again using cleaner fuel and injection cleaner does help over time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They replaced the injector which they said had come up as the error code. Did us a deal of £400 when we picked it up last night.

Today it has just broken down doing exactly the same engine light, service light, engine power loss light.

Gutted after all that money it's not been fixed!!! Surely if this is a Chevrolet garage and they are plugging it into their diagnostic machine, it should tell them what is wrong????

Going back to the garage now. Supposed to be driving the 380 miles home on Saturday, dreading it!!!!

You all have some good ideas as to what could be the problem, I'm so confused why the garage haven't checked for these problems. Unless they have and it's not any of them, I don't know.

[email protected]

·
Registered
399 Posts
A diagnostics does not point to a definite cause.I believe that there is an error on one of the fuel injectors, due to jam or bad pressure.
Most likely caused when the car ran out of fuel.
You should never let a diesel car run out of fuel, it can ruin the fuel pump, since the fuel lubricates the pump and injectors.
If air comes in to the pump the simple solution could be that it must be bleeded from air.
But let us see what the error code is read, now when the fault is back and injector is replaced.

An easy way to lubricate pump and injectors is to add a small amount of 2 stroke oil in a full tank.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not quite sure what diagnostics they are using, very few will indicate and isolate a leaking injector. Ask them if they did a leak-back test, if it is possible on this motor??

Two stroke oil on modern engines does not work (with all due respect A-Man
)the heat generated at the injector is too intense and tends to increase the carbon on the nozzle, the use of V-power or equivalent with injector cleaner can only help the system.

Hope you come right .

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
A-Man is correct that diagnostic codes are not the definitive answer unfortunately. Simply a possible pointer.I know to my frustration that fuel, fuel pumps (I believe there are two on this model), injectors, fuel filters etc are all a mine field. It took my Chevrolet dealer 53 days to unravel my vehicles problems in this area and get me back on the road. They got one bit fixed only to trace back on something else by trial & error. The damage done was progressive. My cause was minute perforation on high pressure fuel rail. The fuel pumps worked overtime to make up lost pressure and blew themselves out, the injectors were blown because of the additional pressure etc.
I'm concerned for Mrs getting back home safely on Saturday without causing further damage. I would suggest that if you have 'Breakdown back to Home recovery' that you serious consider being recovered and allow your local Chevrolet service dealer to undertake repairs once home.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It certainly will lubricate the pump, even better on a rotary piston pump in some older diesel engines. Worked very well in my 6 cylinder BMC motor and a ford ferguson .
When it comes to a CDTI with a cat and DPF , even using low ash 2 stroke, the quieter running will be outweighed in the carbon build up on other components.

I tried it in my Rover 75 for 6 months and the injector readings on my T4 became terrible. It took 3 months running vpower with injector cleaner to get them back to spec. The engine was quieter and it is running without a cat or EGR. (no DPF).

Craig.

·
Registered
261 Posts
mrsB1987 said:
They replaced the injector which they said had come up as the error code. Did us a deal of £400 when we picked it up last night.

Today it has just broken down doing exactly the same engine light, service light, engine power loss light.

Gutted after all that money it's not been fixed!!! Surely if this is a Chevrolet garage and they are plugging it into their diagnostic machine, it should tell them what is wrong????

Going back to the garage now. Supposed to be driving the 380 miles home on Saturday, dreading it!!!!

You all have some good ideas as to what could be the problem, I'm so confused why the garage haven't checked for these problems. Unless they have and it's not any of them, I don't know.
Argh!!!
They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing. In my experience sadly many of the "mechanics" in these places know very little and rely heavily on error code reading to have even the vaguest idea what to do.

spyder said:
I tried it in my Rover 75 for 6 months and the injector readings on my T4 became terrible. It took 3 months running vpower with injector cleaner to get them back to spec. The engine was quieter and it is running without a cat or EGR. (no DPF).

That fine reliable BMW M47 diesel engine eh ??!!

Edited by: Pinkie15

1 - 20 of 70 Posts