Chevrolet Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
This has been suggested in previous posts. It probably should have been one of the first things the garage in Devon should have done (for such modest cost). We happen to know about the earlier mishap of running the fuel tank dry because MrsB told us on this forum. What we dont know is whether she divulged this information to the rescue garage! That aside, the tests revealed the fuel pressure was low (although we dont know if high or low pressure side), so this should have rung warning bells with the service garage anyway.Just hoping we have an update post letting us know she got back home safely (where ever that is in UK?).

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Okay, I understand. Good result for you. It is a great pity the original post problems havent been resolved so easily.

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
A-Man said:
Whats your thoughts about the trouble code listed on the invoice?

Contradictory and incomplete.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hello!
Thank you all so much for your help and suggestions.
After an 11 hour journey back north at 50mph we arrived safely.
My husband wouldn't let me call Green Flag, he insisted it would be fine (and this is a man who knows less about topping up screen wash than I do!!).
We filled it with vpower at Birmingham and it behaved itself all the way home not losing power once. We drove it today however, my husband genuinely thought the vpower had fixed the problem even though I know that couldn't be possible!! It lost power today because he drove it normally and the engine lights came back on.
I did indeed tell the garage in Devon it had run out of fuel previously and asked about injector cleaner etc as you chaps had suggested and they said yes yes they would look at it.
I find it so strange that our local garage ran diagnostics the day before we left and said injector 1 had a fault but that it should be fine to drive to Devon, and then the garage in Devon advised injector 4 had a fault not 1, and so they replaced #4. And did someone on here say the code was for injector 2?!

It will go to our local garage tomorrow and they can take it to bits and keep the blooming thing!!
lost all love for it now!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
An 11 hour trip without lights on, at least rules out some terminal problems hopefully. It there were a leaking pipe or damaged fuel pump, it would most likely not have gone the distance.

Fault codes and a new fuel filter would be my first port of call.

Did you fill up with other fuel and or use more injection cleaner on the way home?

·
Registered
16 Posts
as above, get them to change the fuel filter, nothing else, just the fuel filter - its worth a try compared to the cost of other things. just because you asked someone to look at the filter doesn't mean a lot, they cant look at it without removing it, so IF they removed it to look at they really should have just fitted a new one. I make an assumption that they didn't 'look' at it, based on the comments in some of the posts above at how 'fiddly' it is to even 'look' at it !

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
mrsB1987 said:
the garage in Devon advised injector 4 had a fault not 1, and so they replaced #4. And did someone on here say the code was for injector 2?!

MrsB, To clarify the reason for injector 2 being mentioned in previous responses is because the receipt from the Devon garage gave code P0202 - but stated injector 4. Code P0202 belongs to injector no. 2 - NOT 4 !
You now tell us that injector 1 was diagnosed a fault before you went to Devon.

It will be interesting to see what codes your 'home' garage brings up. Both current and historical from your journey back. I dont recall you saying that your local garage is a Chevrolet service dealer. Do bear in mind that GM codes need GM equipment to read all of them as some are a bit obscure without the dedicated GM reader.

Also, you say that you travelled back at a sedate speed (50'ish) and didnt have any loss of power. Maybe that was because at 50 sufficient fuel is delivered where as when the engine is under demand (higher speed) you described it cutting out. I'm still convinced that fuel filters (and possibly fuel pumps) need checking. As another contributor has said - start by changing the fuel filters and nothing else.

If your garage gets carried away changing this that and another all at once there will never be clarification as to the single cause.

Edited by: Aussie Ed

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the injectors after all, and the fault is totally something else, bad fuel pressure, filter or whatever.Causing intermittent code on different cylinders, take it to a garage they discover a code on cylinder x, take it to next wish discovers the same code but on a different cylinder, next garage .....next code.

Maybe this fault originates in something else and the codes are just an outcome due to the failure.
like on a petrol car for an example, bad pressure on fuel line will set codes on random cylinder due to miss firing.
At first you interpret that there is a problem with spark plug or ignition coils, when the problem actually is fuel related and not related to ignition system.

But in this case the injector was checked (or?) before it was replaced.
This is interesting please keep us updated, especially on the solution once its solved.

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
mrsB, Are you able to give us an update and a conclusion to what was causing your breakdowns.It really helps the forum in general to have a known result as it enables advice to be passed on in similar situations to others.

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
MrsB, Are you able to advise us what the cause of your vehicle problems turned out to be? Was it injectors, fuel filter or some other not directly fathomable cause?

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Seems to have 'gone to ground' ! Pity because I like you would have welcomed the knowledge as to what actually was the cause. Maybe they have sold it and moved on.Only other option is to send personal message.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi fellow captiva owners I have just read all the posts on this topic as I myself am experiencing the same mysterious loss of power. let me introduce myself as I'm new to this forum in fact ive never posted in a forum so forgive me for my lack of knowledge due to zero experience, I'm Paul or username Nomad71 recently bought a captiva 2ltr diesel 2010 ltz model.
I drove the car about 180 miles mainly motorway back home to Stafford with no problems at all sat averaging 60- 70mph and got according to the trip computer 45.5mpg, now this isn't really fuel demanding whereas up n down the gears accelerating is fuel demanding so as I have experienced 2 counts in 3 days of loss of power but happening gradually until total limp mode but no lights on the dashboard which confused me, and when connected to a diagnostic test not a cheapo one its the mechanic I use and knows his stuff to not chevy main dealer can't afford that. How I got the car back to normal, I turned the engine off waited about 10 seconds started her back up and all back to normal.
Today I took it to my mechanic for a full service including cam belt change there was nothing on the mot's and repair invoices about a cam belt change so that was done with fuel filter, air filter, oil filter and oil change. I really hopes this does the trick hoping it was fuel starvation causing the malfunction.
I would also like to add a bit of history of the car according to the repairs invoices that came with the car, It supposedly had a new turbo £499 fitted labour was extra about 12 months ago the reason "supposedly" was used that my mechanic ( a free person really he doesn't belong to me
) said it looks older than 12 months old, a turbo boost solenoid £85 dpf removed and remapped, got some history this car has I think more than me.
Well 30 litrs put in today although it was tesco diesel put in with redex diesel treatment 125ml put in so its test time now.

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Looks very much as you have taken all precautionary measures in respect of servicing/maintenance.I note that the DPF has been removed. Do bear in mind that new MOT directives will lead to an automatic fail in future on DPF removal.
Dont believe what you read in the MPG data from the onboard computer. It is about 20% out and in real life use with brim to brim fill ups you'll probably average no more than 36-38 at best.
In respect of your power loss get the air intake tubes checked. They can soften and collapse once warm thus restricting air flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I quite agree with you on the mpg it isnt gospel, when the machanic I think I will name him wayne its easier and sounds like a person now serviced my car he did give it a once over and according to Wayne all hoses pipes tubes etc was in good health. when I spoke to another friend who also has his own garage he says if the dpf box is present thats a pass they dont look any further and mine is there just no dpf brick in there. Well mot is up in july so it will be interesting to see what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh I have an update but bad news, since the service all was driving well although just journeys from 2 miles to 20 miles and for a cpl of days nothing at all drove fine no mishaps. today was driving fine a round trip of 25 miles, I received an obd2 today from amazon so plugged it into the car and no faults stored in the ecu, so i took it it out for a spin 5 miles up the road and back, the first 2 miles no problem then I felt the car suddenly loose power and wouldn't rev above 3000rpm no turbo boost just limp mode again no lights on the dashboard. I pulled into a layby to check the ecu for fault codes but no codes showed. I turned the engine off waited 5 seconds and turned the key it reved above the 3000rpm and drove normal again. How can I find the fault if no fault codes are displayed. I'm scratching my head now

·
Super Moderator
7,161 Posts
Not all 'generic' OBD2 readers will identify GM codes. I purchased a £20 reader and it was virtually useless. You may have to get a professional to diagnostic reading. I'd recheck the air hoses. That's where I think the problem might be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
An update I drove my car today and noticed there wasn't mush power but not in limp mode, I accelerated not going as it should reached 3000rpm then it suddenly shut down back to limp mode, again pulled over stopped and restarted and back to a driveable car. Its really bugging me now patience running low I feel the for sale signs coming out
I spoke with Wayne the mechanic he says the hoses etc were fine he seems to think the remap might be faulty with the egr valve and dpf removed thats why there is no codes showing I'm gonna get a mobile diagnostic test done in more depth costing me a further £60 to hopefully find the problem.

Edited by: nomad71

41 - 60 of 70 Posts