Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi , i have a problem with my 09 plate captiva , after only 14 k miles the engine went on me on the motorway, i had the vehicle towed to the local dealer believing this car to still be under warranty i was shocked to find out that before the car was purchased the warranty had already kicked in because it was manufactured 18 months before it was registered something i was unaware of and still really cant believe as surely the warranty should start at firsts registration date ! , thechevrolet dealertold me the oil viscosity was down to 20% and had basically destroyed the engine which i am shocked at as it was serviced by the same dealer 6k miles ago (13 months) previous,after a quote of 15k for a new engine i checked my paperwork from the first service and could not find any indication that the oil was changed in the service book or check sheet and infact what i thought was a first service check sheet had the title VISUAL HEALTH CHECK and the foot note THIS IS A VISUAL EXAMINATION OF THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW, then under the section UNDER THE BONNET has the sub section check and top up oil ! i am assuming this is not the correct service sheet for a first service as i was told the oil and filter were being changed and at a cost of £199 , any help advise or copys of a chevroletfirst service sheet to compair or use as evidencewould be greatly appricieated , thanks

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sorry for your trouble- there's not much that I can say by way of making youy feel better. Clearly, at £200 there should have been an oil change involved. If they haven't done that, then the Garage has been either negligent or fraudulent. I would contact trading standards, Chevrolet UK and make ready for a fight which may see you taking the garage to court.
I would also check the issue with the warranty with Chevy UK, their understanding might be different.

I have a copy of the workshop manual, but I can't find any first service checklist within it, although there is a PDR checklist . If you want a copy, PM me with your email and I'll see what I can do.

Iain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply ,anyone got a copy of their first service from chevrolet for their captiva i can compare

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i turns out it was imported froma far away land , ireland ! and is classed as a european import but chevrolet customer service insist it still had a three year warranty but like i said kicked in after a period of time after it was made 2007 , but i bought it on a 09 plate in england and wasnt aware of this, either way i think the oil wasnt changed on its first service and im possitive this has caused the low viscosity and engine faliure , looks like a case for trading standards just need to see a first service sheet to prove that the visual check my car recieved wasnt an actual service !

·
Registered
652 Posts
Did you actually buy from a Chevrolet dealership or an independant.

If Chevrolet dealership, then fight them all the way. Get a new car out of them, as they should have explained it was an import and hence the issue with warranty. This type of case has been won through courts before, the dealer should know this and hence give you bull, just to ware you down, but keep fighting them. Log it with trading standards if necessary.

If it is an independant, you must still fight them, but you might havea harder battle and have to be prepared to take it through trading standards.

Either way, they cant register an 09 plate car sell it with a 3 year warranty but then say you've lost time when the car was sitting in Ireland.

Also log this directly with Cherolet and if they dont do anything you will be lodging with trading standards as miss-selling.

I think you have a strong case, but unfortunatly big organisations play the waiting game hoping that us "small people" just give up.

I'd also contact Watchdog....

Good luck.

Sorry to say, I think you have a battle in front

·
Registered
380 Posts
A little comfort for you... Check with the dvla and your registration document as DVLA would under no circumstances register a foreign registered vehicle imported into the uk with a later year registration. If DVLA have it as a 2009 then you canbe sure that it was first registered in 2009.For the oil change, it should have been done, look in your service booklet, for my epica there is a section that shows what should be done at each service and captiva diesels have annual or 10,000 mile oil changes, my service booklet page 27 shows the captiva servicing requirements, in fact it has the servicing requirements for all current models except the new aveo and the cruze, both of which were on sale after my service booklet was produced. if you need it i can scan and e-mail you a copy, just send me a private message via this website.
Get a copy of the details and get your trading standards involved.

Edited by: Oldroverboy

·
Registered
380 Posts
Build date unimportant for warranty, first registration is what counts, but personally, i would like to know more about the car, it was an import, bought from who?, mileage when bought and all subsequent services, it should have had at least 2 services/oil changes since 2009 regardless of actual mileages. only then can we give opinions on the rest of the post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the car was bought from motorpoint it was advertised new with 5 miles on the clock , i was told they needed to register the carin order for them to tax it but looking at the registration docs it was registered to go lease ltd in exeter dont know who this company is pressumed it would say motorpoint but this is the first time ive looked properly at the reg document , they registered it on 01/06/09 i accuired it on the 22/06/09 the first service was done a bit late 17/12/10 and i was saving up to get the second service £300 done when the engine went in feb 2012, i thought warranty should start at first reg date but chevrolet customer service told me about this automatic18 month period of warranty kicking in after build date , yes chev#1 it has 7b in the chassis number and now ive noticed on the reg docs the engine number is unknown !

·
Registered
380 Posts
Becky, I am deeply sorry to say that in my opinion there is not much you can do in this case, this is the problem with not servicing within 1000 miles and 1 month of the service dates due. all these diesel engined modern dpf fitted cars are very oil grade degeneration intolerant. perhaps you can find an accident damaged epica or captiva and use that engine, bu I feel dreadfully sorry for you. Time after time the importance of main dealer servicing at the correct intervals is proved, I am sure that this would have got you some goodwill from chevrolet,but finally, suggest you try an independant garage near you. variations of this engine are used elsewhere..
if all else fails..
PS did you look in your service book not the owners manual for the service intervals and schedules, if you have proof that the dealer did not change the oil. and it IS in my booklet, then you could have a case to get some goodwill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the oil should have been changed last service but there is no indication of this in the log book, ie just stamped no boxes tickedor the visual check sheet i was given, in fact it just says check and top up on the check sheet

·
Registered
380 Posts
becky, in the service booklet it says R = replace oil and filter, and if you have not done many miles, say less than 5000 since the oil change you may well have a case with trading standards, any oil on the invoice for the service ie:half litre @ £-- or 6.2 litres @ £--.
Get in touch with trading standards and ask chevrolet to investigate why oil not changed. when a certain dealer in st albans put the wrong oil in my car it was changed elsewhere and that dealer paid, and chevrolet got very cross with the dealer too! you can find my post on this forum.
can you copy the invoice onto here? Are the dealers initials EH?

Finally there is an advert at the top of the page from the national engine centre, on this forum, I think it is a cardiff number, but there may well be one nearer than that perhaps in manchester.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Becky, the service interval for any Captiva is 20000 miles or 1 year, whichever is shortest. I'm sorry, but you're well out with the annual services, regardless of the content of the service. The car is only 3 months short of needing it's 3rd annual service and it hasn't even had it's second from what you are saying.I think I'm right in saying that cars supplied to the Republic of Ireland have only a 2 yr warranty too. I was offered what looked like a bargain when I was shopping around for mine and it turned out to be an ROI car via Motorpoint. It also had a weird spec which was what alerted me to the issue in the first place, being half way between an LS and an LT.

It sounds like a harsh and very expensive lesson in car servicing and doing your research before you buy I'm afraid.

Iain

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in my opinion the oil and engine should be lasting a lot longer than 6k miles and 13 months wich is the milage and time since its last main dealer service , but now looking at the paperwork i honestly dont believe it was changed, im going to scan the visiual healthcheck sheet and service booklet and send it to arnold clarkand chevy customer servicesand ask them why my vehicle recieved this visual check instead of a first service , why the correct paperwork wasnt filled in and why i have no proof of the oil being replaced

·
Registered
997 Posts
I agree that the oil should have been changed, and if it hasn't been , then you should be entitled to something, but equally, 13 months is a month over the service schedule regardless of the mileage and no manufacturer or garage is going to take responsibility for that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
HI My Captiva has first service at 7500km, exchanged oil and oil filter.Next change is scheduled for 22500km or 1 Year, what comes first.
How come you bought your car at 22.06.2009 and made first service after year and half?
As I remember all my cars, Peugeot 306, Astra and now captiva has defined service interval in KM OR 1 YEAR - which came first. So no matter of the date of warranty started I think that the mistake is yours, sorry

·
Registered
652 Posts
My post has been removed....

Oops... must be because I mentioned a particular used car supermarket by name and refered to particular practices..... so lets see how I can write this again, without making any references.....

There are instances of car dealers importing cars and sellig them on as nearly new cars with complete UK warranties. Trading standards have had dealings with these dealers, and if a car is mis-sold in this way, it is possible to get your money back from them.

If I was you (Becky) I would go back to where you bought the car and explain that you believe you have been mis-sold the car, as you where not told it was an import and mis-informed about its warranty. Assuming you have been truthful with us.

·
Registered
380 Posts
At the risk of going off point, is this one of the sites 12 miles west of welsh border just off the m4 who were selling ford focuses imported from a mediteranean island where they drive on theleft,
a while back, brand new but with only 1 year warranty on the motor if you get my point?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I couldn't possibly confirm that, but I doubt that your far wrong....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts