Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I've started my car this morning and I'm getting a warning light flashing. I belive it to be the glow plug but I'm not understanding the dots flashing underneath it aswell. Has anyone else had this issue
Thanks adam

Chevrolet captiva 2008 diesel.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looks to be a filter warning. One of the other member should be able to confirm. As could be the for the DPF.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this to today, after 20 minutes driving it was off again, i thought it was the dpf regen light but if i look on google, the standard regen light looks different

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
AdamH, Having tried to find the icon you took picture of and I'm confused.
Certainly the 'coil' represents the glow plugs but the three lines of dots underneath represent DPF filter. Maybe it is a 'two in one' warning lamp. Dont you have the Owners Handbook? That should verify the meaning.

If it was glowplug warning you would probably have difficulty starting - but you dont mention this.

As anew Member the following link has helpful reading about using the Forum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The glowplugs have a seperate warning light with just the curl, that's what i don't understand eather, but i don't see another dpf light on the dash, i think this is the only one.
I had this light a few months ago also and i looked it up in the manual but i seem to remember that there was just an explaining that this was a dpf light, it didn't say if it is on with a regen or full filter or something

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
Debo, I'm glad it is not just me who is confused. I would go to the DPF being the culprit.
Maybe Adam can advise us how long he has owned the vehicle, (in other words is he totally familiar with it) , the type of use (ie short school & shopping journeys) and mileage to date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Debo, I'm glad it is not just me who is confused. I would go to the DPF being the culprit.
Maybe Adam can advise us how long he has owned the vehicle, (in other words is he totally familiar with it) , the type of use (ie short school & shopping journeys) and mileage to date.
Hi thanks for the replies. I have owned the car about a month, has had full services since new, its got 116,000 miles on it. I use the car for commuting everyday which is about 25 motorway miles each way. The light only comes on when i start the car and its flashing as i drive it. I've tried doing my research and I cant seem to find anything that indicates the problem clearly.

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
Hi Adam, There is a feeling that this is a DPF warning . You may not be doing sufficiently high enough mileage to allow the DPF to complete its regeneration cycle and it is 'trapped' in 'not complete' function.
I would suggest you add a can of DPF cleaner to your fuel and take the vehicle for a drive for at least 30 minutes with revs at about 2,500+ rpm. You dont tell us if your vehicle is manual or auto gear box but select gear to keep revs up.
There is the possibility of course that with the mileage (and possibly unknown previous use) that the DPF could be nearing end of its life. Try the cleaner option first.
The correct engine oil is important for vehicles with DPF.

Dont forget to complete your Sign-Up ie location Town/city. Your vehicle info is best in your Signature Footer as it will automatically appear under each of your posts and members can instantly identify the info quickly and concisely. It saves you having to repeat it every time too. See the Helpful Tips link in my post#4 previously.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With my captiva, the light stays on for about 15 minutes, it's not flashing, just on, maybe it is just a regen with mine??
Mine is an automatic with 126.000 KM, i don't know how much that is in miles :) 90.000 or so?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
+1 confused here. Have done some digging but unable to - quickly - find the relevant user manual for region/year.

Like others, I'll take a punt at DPF regeneration. With the glow-plug-come-DPF symbol, plus it goes out after a while, it would make sense.

Deebo - if you're able to get a hot smell in the cabin then it could be another good pointer. My wife's series 2 (manual) did a regen cycle a few months ago (she rang me to ask why?!) and she mentioned a hot smell of sorts which went away after the lamp had gone out.

Jonty.

·
Registered
105 Posts
With my captiva, the light stays on for about 15 minutes, it's not flashing, just on, maybe it is just a regen with mine??
Mine is an automatic with 126.000 KM, i don't know how much that is in miles :) 90.000 or so?
You have a Captiva series 1 so I believe that this is similar to what I had on the Epica (same engine). The idea is that if you don't allow your DPF to be cleaned 3 times in a row (you drive for a short while, the regen starts, but you don't let it finish) the warning light will pop up to inform you to let the DPF to be regen. In the manual they recommend to drive over 2000 rpm (2500 rpm is even better as Aussie Ed said) constantly - on a highway is easy to achieve this until the light turns off. If it doesn't turn off after driving 30 mins, you should check the error codes that are stored in your ECU. The regen can be performed even at idle, but it takes more time and it is not as efficient.

As rule of thumb, if you hear your engine fans run at max speed, the idle staying at ~1000rpm and some exhaust smell that is more strong than normal, the mpg goes suddenly low, then you are in regen mode and you should leave your car complete it before turning it off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did not notice a hot smell in the car, or even outside of the car, at least not hotter or smellier then always :)
The first time it was on was just when i pulled up on a driveway, and then it ran ruff for a few minutes with the idle rpm swinging back and forward around 1000-1100rpm

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
I did not notice a hot smell in the car, or even outside of the car, at least not hotter or smellier then always :)
The first time it was on was just when i pulled up on a driveway, and then it ran ruff for a few minutes with the idle rpm swinging back and forward around 1000-1100rpm
Fairly typical indicator of DPF regeneration. If the cooling fan ran on afterwards then that will pretty much confirm it. The hot burning smell doesnt always manifest. Mine only smelt burning for the first few times when it was new. After that the indication of regeneration was the higher rev count and the fan running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts