Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what a top left boost pipe is for the turbocharger cuz I haven't got a clue and apparently mine has split and is going g to cost over £600 to replace. Surly not!

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Hi Bone , Welcome to Forum.
We need to back track a bit first. Always provide model year, variant, engine, gearbox info.
The following link will assist you as to Helpful Tips and 'need to know' items. Give it a read please.
The Forum Search function has previous discussions on split hoses and one member provided info on the use of silicon hose at fraction of dealer parts cost. You can find the search function by going to the three white dots top right in black header bar. Select Advanced Search , follow links (leave member blank). This may answer your question.
If not come back when you have completed Vehicle details in Signature/Footer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bone , Welcome to Forum.
We need to back track a bit first. Always provide model year, variant, engine, gearbox info.
The following link will assist you as to Helpful Tips and 'need to know' items. Give it a read please.
The Forum Search function has previous discussions on split hoses and one member provided info on the use of silicon hose at fraction of dealer parts cost. You can find the search function by going to the three white dots top right in black header bar. Select Advanced Search , follow links (leave member blank). This may answer your question.
If not come back when you have completed Vehicle details in Signature/Footer.
Thanks for that I'll try this again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2013 captiva 2.2 manual diesel that has been blowing black dry soot clouds from the exhausts. I've taken it to 2 separate garages with 2 very different diagnostics. The latest sounds more likely which is a split pipe to the turbo but after being told the pipe is a top left boost pipe at a ridiculously high price I decided to try and find my own only I can't find anything of such description, does anybody on here know what it is I'm looking for?

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
This section of piping was identified in a post only three weeks ago. Rat Race used the Forum Search Tool (good man) and identified a previous post which helped solve. A timely and useful reminder to all Members to make full use of the Forum Search function. There are about 10 years worth of possible answers to problems just sitting there to be explored.
Refer this link and pick up discussion from entry #14

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Bone,
You say "I've taken it to 2 separate garages with 2 very different diagnostics" but then you dont tell us what were these diagnostics and the Codes were ! You are making it very difficult for forum members to assist you by only providing 'snippets' of information. The more you advise the better the chances of this Forum being capable of narrowing down the cause and a solution. Were they a GM dealer using GM diagnostic equipment? Some Non GM testing equipment will not necessarily identify all GM codes.
Has this 'split pipe' been clearly identified or is this simply guesswork on a technicians possible list?
Have they ruled out a stuck EGR valve? Black soot is a common by product of defective EGR.
Provide the diagnostic codes please.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Black smoke? Hmmm... I would not discount a DPF going bad.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
GC, It is possible, as is possibly injector defect and other 'maybes'.
The problem is we are only getting information in dribs & drabs as the OP is having difficulty understanding how to use the Forum. The OP says he's had diagnosis from two different garages (franchise unknown / not stated) but has not provided any diagnostic trouble codes for us to work with!
Without a lot more information we could spend weeks offering 'possibilities' on an adhoc basis.
Without DTC's I think this one is in the 'too hard basket' for the moment until we know more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 captiva 2.2 manual diesel that has been blowing black dry soot clouds from the exhausts. I've taken it to 2 separate garages with 2 very different diagnostics. The latest sounds more likely which is a split pipe to the turbo but after being told the pipe is a top left boost pipe at a ridiculously high price I decided to try and find my own only I can't find anything of such description, does anybody on here know what it is I'm looking for?
I had this same problem with my 2015. Split nearly in half. The DPF just about **** itself because the air was bypassing nearly every sensor and pumping straight into the motor. This pipe is a **** to get to you virtually have to disassemble the whole battery side of the car including fuse box battery and base ecu holder. and even then its as tight as to get to!!! I replaced mine with some 2 and 1/4 truck radiator pipe. Then about two weeks later the pipe that is in the number 11 area went. Had the same telltale suction noise as when the other blew!!! so if you can replace them all at the same time! My DPF was at 110% full had to take it to the Holden dealer here who had to override the DPF burn function so it did it without waiting for the computer to do it. took him two hours of driving to complete the burn back down to 10%.

·
Super Moderator
6,340 Posts
Davo, Your experience is interesting but we have to bear in mind that the OP (Bone) has informed us that he has had two totally different diagnostics and it only appears to be 'assumed' to be a split air feed. We dont have any DTC's to go by, so this might end up being a 'lets try this or maybe that' type of solution.
Also we dont know if OP is using a GM Chevrolet repair/service centre who would 'know the peculiarities' of the model or if it is simply a general mechanic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts