Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Captiva LTZ 2.2 diesel
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
New to the forum and I did refer back to related posts but all solved and unresolved issues have been knocked off the list. The only culprits left are the injectors. So I am in complete dismay. I took my Chevrolet Captiva 2013 2.2 LTZ to Bosch services because all of a sudden the car started lagging at around 4000 rmp and struggled to get past 125 km/h and it takes a while for it to change gears (I never drive it in semi-manual).

The code came up to replace glow plugs which they did...they did a boost reset and sent it on its way back to me. The problem still persisted. Took it back and they discovered a boost leak and replaced the boost pipe and sealed the intercooler. Sent it back to me and still, no positive results. Then, they looked at it and went through the car thoroughly. They removed the whole boosting system and, checked the turbo, Maf sensors, MAP, and EGR...All clear, and they discovered that the catalytic system was blocked. My dad asked them to remove it and replace it with a straight pipe (He is a marine mechanic). Regulations haven't started we have to have it. The car has increased power but still running rich and not taking full power. Now, I am learning between my father and these mechanics because I had no idea what any of this meant three weeks ago. Female over here.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any other culprits it could be? I will be booking it in again to have the Injectors tested which I asked them to do from the get-go but the symptoms didn't make sense at the time because in neutral, you can press the gas and no smoke, but when it boosts it smokes and it only lags from about 100-125 km/h. No leaks and other vitals are fine. They said it literally boils down to the injectors but I wanted to post this in case I can give them headway about something else.

So I'll wait back and see but I am stressing so much about it being the injectors. The car has 132000 on the clock. No misfiring, no jerking or stalling. I must mention, a while ago they had to drain water from the tank. Honestly don't know how that happened other than at the fuel station. They did test the diesel and claimed that there was no water in it, but it's beyond me. No water damage or anything.

Any other ideas would be so much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
This post has been Relocated here due to original post in the incorrect location. Posts belong in the Forum applicable to the model being discussed - in this case Captiva.

You've not completed your Sign-Up world location (Forum system believes you are in South Africa ?), you can also place your vehicle details in the designated section. The following link will assist you as a new Member .

Despite the extent of your post you dont give any diagnostic codes. Very important.
If there are problems with the injectors there will be diagnostic codes stored..... what are they?
You mention 'smoke' ........what colour smoke? White/light grey, black ?? Type of smoke has a direct bearing. Very important.

You mention the 'catalytic system' was blocked. Do you mean catalytic or do you mean the DPF? The DPF is typically what 'gets blocked' on diesel vehicles. If you have had the DPF removed a whole range of settings have to be reset.

All of these issues ie DPF, colour of smoke white / grey / black, and applicable diagnostic codes etc can all be read using the Forum back index (about 12 years worth of information) . Use the Forum Advanced Search function which is explained in the link above.

Come back to this Forum once you have 'explored' the existing information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This post has been Relocated here due to original post in the incorrect location. Posts belong in the Forum applicable to the model being discussed - in this case Captiva.

You've not completed your Sign-Up world location (Forum system believes you are in South Africa ?), you can also place your vehicle details in the designated section. The following link will assist you as a new Member .

Despite the extent of your post you dont give any diagnostic codes. Very important.
If there are problems with the injectors there will be diagnostic codes stored..... what are they?
You mention 'smoke' ........what colour smoke? White/light grey, black ?? Type of smoke has a direct bearing. Very important.

You mention the 'catalytic system' was blocked. Do you mean catalytic or do you mean the DPF? The DPF is typically what 'gets blocked' on diesel vehicles. If you have had the DPF removed a whole range of settings have to be reset.

All of these issues ie DPF, colour of smoke white / grey / black, and applicable diagnostic codes etc can all be read using the Forum back index (about 12 years worth of information) . Use the Forum Advanced Search function which is explained in the link above.

Come back to this Forum once you have 'explored' the existing information.
They did not give me any diagnostic codes. They said the glow plugs came up on the diagnostic machine. I know the one code that came up a while ago was the EGR, but it wasn't blocked. The smoke is pitch black and yes, I believe it is also called a DPF. They removed it. I'll ask them about the resets. I didn't know the injectors would throw a code so thanks for that Information. I thought maybe they're clogged and not faulty. Bosch said they will send the injectors off to get tested by a very good guy because they're all scratching their heads now. I will update you on any progress. Might be helpful to someone else. Unfortunately, Chevrolet pulled out of the country but there are Chev dealers around. If Bosch cannot figure out the problem, I'll send it to CMH. They are far from me as I am in a secluded area but thanks for the response.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
Diagnostic codes are vital. Confused as to why glow plugs were related to the original engineers report because you mention the problems were present on a warm running engine at 4,000rpm. Glow plugs generally only have any relevance in relation to 'cold start'.
Removal of the DPF will without doubt cause issues unless the system is totally recalibrated simply because the sensor feedback will be different. You cant simply 'cut a component out' of a modern engine without repercussions.
Black smoke is an indication of insufficient air within the mixture. It may be injector related but there are so many other 'possibilities' including incorrect sensor feedback, contaminated /blocked air filter, damaged MAF, etc etc. One obscure cause can be the air feed hose 'collapsing'. Old, softened air hose can collapse and restrict air flow yet visually on static inspection appear to be totally sound. This is a previously discussed issue which you can read up on via the Advanced Search function.
Get the injectors checked if for no other reason than to rule them out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Diagnostic codes are vital. Confused as to why glow plugs were related to the original engineers report because you mention the problems were present on a warm running engine at 4,000rpm. Glow plugs generally only have any relevance in relation to 'cold start'.
Removal of the DPF will without doubt cause issues unless the system is totally recalibrated simply because the sensor feedback will be different. You cant simply 'cut a component out' of a modern engine without repercussions.
Black smoke is an indication of insufficient air within the mixture. It may be injector related but there are so many other 'possibilities' including incorrect sensor feedback, contaminated /blocked air filter, damaged MAF, etc etc. One obscure cause can be the air feed hose 'collapsing'. Old, softened air hose can collapse and restrict air flow yet visually on static inspection appear to be totally sound. This is a previously discussed issue which you can read up on via the Advanced Search function.
Thank you for the important feedback. A lot of the above got eradicated and comes down to a reset and the injectors. Many thanks. Will report back when I know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ed, I am supposed to be taking it back tomorrow. This was their response:
We would advise testing the injectors 1st.

The exhaust system was checked and this specific vehicle does not have any sensors on the exhaust for the DPF/catalytic converter.

The catalytic converter is removed in chunks or a form of powder as it is not cut out it is broken out of the box (photo attached as example).

Therefor we will not be able to give it back to you.

We do understand all the statements made from the Chevrolet club and all these items have been checked.

Now are they bullish**ing me or what?

You are more than welcome to still make a turn by us tomorrow but do advise testing the injectors.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
Get the injectors checked if for no other reason than to rule those 'in' or 'out' as the possible cause. I've said this and they have said this.
They still make reference to the catalytic convertor so it remains obscure whether it was the DPF or the catalytic convertor that was removed? Or Both?
I dont understand the statement that this vehicle doesnt have sensors on the exhaust ! How do they think the engine airflow temperature etc is calibrated without sensors??
The internet is full of vendors for sensors for the exhaust system on the Captiva. (You can check the internet yourself). I cannot imagine that your model variant was produced differently to the bulk of the World market.
I cant see what it is they say "they dont understand" about my second paragraph in post #6 but then go on to say "all these items have been checked"
I will reiterate my earlier observation "You cant simply 'cut a component out' of a modern engine without repercussions."
Get the injectors checked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am with you 100 percent!! I don't think that these guys have a clue. I trust your word over theirs any day. In fact, I think I need to find different mechanics. They don't make sense. I'll keep you updated. Thanks so much Ed.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
I've been able to find a ten year old previous post. DPF removal/ Remap see post #3 and post #9
You'll see that the removal of the DPF requires 'remapping' of the ecu. It is still somewhat confusing as to what your mechanics have actually removed - DPF or catalytic convertor - or both (which is what I'm suspecting). I'll repeat my observation that modern engines are so interdependent of components & sensors, that you cant simply remove a component without recalibration of something else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get the injectors checked if for no other reason than to rule those 'in' or 'out' as the possible cause. I've said this and they have said this.
They still make reference to the catalytic convertor so it remains obscure whether it was the DPF or the catalytic convertor that was removed? Or Both?
I dont understand the statement that this vehicle doesnt have sensors on the exhaust ! How do they think the engine airflow temperature etc is calibrated without sensors??
The internet is full of vendors for sensors for the exhaust system on the Captiva. (You can check the internet yourself). I cannot imagine that your model variant was produced differently to the bulk of the World market.
I cant see what it is they say "they dont understand" about my second paragraph in post #6 but then go on to say "all these items have been checked"
I will reiterate my earlier observation "You cant simply 'cut a component out' of a modern engine without repercussions."
Get the injectors checked.
I checked with them and they said Just the CAT was removed.
I've been able to find a ten year old previous post. DPF removal/ Remap see post #3 and post #9
You'll see that the removal of the DPF requires 'remapping' of the ecu. It is still somewhat confusing as to what your mechanics have actually removed - DPF or catalytic convertor - or both (which is what I'm suspecting). I'll repeat my observation that modern engines are so interdependent of components & sensors, that you cant simply remove a component without recalibration of something else.
They said just the CAT but as you say that still needs to be recalibrated. I'll discuss it with another mechanic I have found because I don't know with these guys anymore. Thanks for your response.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
We are twelve posts in and only just verified that it was the catalytic convertor and not the DPF which was removed. :-(
This really hasnt helped. Generally speaking the cat is far less troublesome than the DPF which has been the blight issue with many owners.
In Post #2 I did provide a Guidance link for you to complete your Sign Up World location and vehicle sections. Maybe I can 'nudge you' to remember to do these because we are about to roll over to page 2.
A new mechanic/technician might have other views on the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are twelve posts in and only just verified that it was the catalytic convertor and not the DPF which was removed. :-(
This really hasnt helped. Generally speaking the cat is far less troublesome than the DPF which has been the blight issue with many owners.
In Post #2 I did provide a Guidance link for you to complete your Sign Up World location and vehicle sections. Maybe I can 'nudge you' to remember to do these because we are about to roll over to page 2.
A new mechanic/technician might have other views on the problem.
Sign-up completed. Apologies.

Unfortunately, they were very dubious which didn't help me. Today I saw them face to face. I asked for the diagnostic codes while I stood there and watched. P0401 came up and today a new code came up P02CC injector valve 1. The Cat has been erased from the "system" and this model does not have a DPF so I am told. They will be sending in the injectors for testing. Will keep you updated, but this is probably it. New or reconditioned injectors and tears along the way for the price but I am hoping my problems are solved by my next post. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
P0401 can be typically the following:- "P0401 can be caused by anything from a clogged EGR valve to a faulty EGR temperature sensor to an engine vacuum leak. " If as you previously indicated that they 'checked' the EGR then maybe we can rule that out (or can we given the competency levels indicated). Temperature sensor or engine vacuum leak ( refer back to my comments about air hose in post # 6 - you may have a split/tear/hole/loose hose clip or a hose which is collapsing under demand.
P02CC clearly identifies cylinder no.1 injector.

As for the Series 2, 2.2 diesel Captiva not having a DPF - my only observations are that unless SA vehicle construction laws omit a DPF or that GM made a special batch of Captiva's without a DPF then I think this is most unlikely. Unless...... who ever owned this vehicle before you has had the DPF removed !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most likely, Ed. I will put them to work. I recently ran into (pure luck) a gentleman of a mechanic who worked for BMW but has recently worked on a few Captivas as an independent mechanic. He operates quite far from where I live, but he knows what he is talking about. He's taken me under his wing and supporting me along the way. He will ensure I am not being taken for a ride and giving me advice as we go. I will turn to him if Bosch cannot get the job done. I have considered all and will make sure once again that they have checked the above. They said they did, but we will soon find out. I will update you on the final result and hopefully mark it as "solved" so this can perhaps help someone along the way (With much reading, unfortunately).
Best regards,
Michella.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
It's always difficult trying to diagnose vehicle issues 'at long distance' rather than seeing and listening physically. I've done my best to steer you. Leave you to endeavour to reach a 'happy ending'. Let us know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
***Solved
Turned out to be the boost pipe underneath the battery box. There were major splits. After the car came back with reconditioned injectors, the same systems persisted. Wish they had listened to my dad the first time. Thanks for the assistance. It's going like a Boeing now.

·
Super Moderator
7,866 Posts
Good. I dont want to say I told you so, but my post #6 and #15 did raise possible concerns about air feed hose.

Torn, split, lose air hose are a regular issue on the Captiva and few owners or mechanics for that matter 'thoroughly' look or check this simple cause.

Appreciate the feedback closure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts