Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's quiet in here at the moment, so maybe not too many Volt owners have found their way here yet, but in case there is anyone else, I'd like to know other people's thoughts about options for home charging. Here are the options I've found so far (and in case you're wondering I haven't actually asked Chevrolet what option they recommend).

The cheapest option is of course just to use the charging cable supplied with the car. The disadvantage is that you have to get it out of the boot every time you want to charge, also charging from a normal mains socket is reported to take about 6 hours against 4 hours for a dedicated charge point.

British Gas will install a dedicated charge point for £799. They have partnered with most of the main electric car models to be the manufacturers' recommended option. Also included is 3 years of their Home Electrical Cover which would normally cost about £110 on its own and I imagine is factored into the otherwise quite steep price.

Pod-point will supply a charging point for £474 which includes VAT and delivery but not installation. Assuming that getting a local electrician to do the install might cost about £100 (I haven't asked one, that's just a finger in the air guesstimate) that's quite a bit less than the British Gas solution.

Zero Carbon World offer charging points for £250, but they're just so you still have to add in the cost of a cable so great if you're a business offering free charging but not really suitable for home use.

ChargeMaster offer a home charge point which (apart from the printed logo) looks identical to the British Gas one. They don't have an obvious price anywhere on their website as far as I can see.

Polar (a division of ChargeMaster) will rent home charge points for £95 up front plus £19.50 per month (plus a rather steep £10/month if you want to use their public charging units). Over 3 years that works out the same as the British Gas price or you could cancel the contract after 2 years and £563 but then either they take back the charger or you have to pay them an unspecified fee to keep the charge unit.

Ecarconnectors also offer a charging point: 'call for pricing'.

Is that a reasonably complete list or have I overlooked any other options?

So far I'm unsure whether it's worth £600+ to get a slightly faster charge and to save messing about with the boot cable every day but I'd love to know what other people think.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think it depends on your usage- do you need to charge over 4 hrs or is 6 good enough? It might mean a bit more forward planning, but £800 on top of a car that's suppose to save you money is a fair bit. Fine if you expect to be using plug-ins for a number of years, but there is always the chance that plug-ins will fizzle out as the technology becomes better and it might end up being a bit of a betamax experience.

Still, that's about 10 weeks worth of diesel for my Captiva for a lifetime's worht of motoring, so maybe it's not as steep as it looks....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Volt is coming in May.....British Gas will have a "Source London" backed scheme starting at the end of April with a 50% discount.....so from £399.

Chevrolet are recommending SPX, although they don't seem quite ready yet.

I'm getting some private quotes through over the next couple of weeks (one from a solar provider).....and will pass this information on.

And for me....I don't think I'd have gone for the car if I had to unroll the charging pack from the boot every night....it has to be a safe, secure and quick charge....most likely going to be British Gas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I collected my new Volt from Phoenix in Wimbledon on the 31st of May.I had already ordered a spare charging lead to permantly leave in the garage so I could just drive in and plug in.I just felt that the hassle of continually gettingit out of the boot & then replacing it was going to get frustrating.So the on board lead stays with the car {if I ever get lucky enough to find a charging point in Cornwall}Cost £260.Several faults already with the car,including leaks,"welcome" sounds dissapeared;no compass on dash.Chevrolet in Exeter trying to sort it out but since collecting car on the 31st may been without car for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. There's quite a lot of discussion about charging cables over on the
Ampera forum athttp://www.amperaownersclub.co.uk(Volt owners are welcome there).
Also, you may be able to find a Cornish charging point onhttp://openchargemap.org/(there are several but mostly associated with particular hotels/campsites).

Another option I may consider would be to get a different cable as a spare. Zero Carbon World are now doing a type 2 to type 1 cable for £199 and a charging point it can be plugged into for £149 (both ex vat and the point excluding fitting). That would mean I could mostly have a fixed cable in the garage but if going on a long trip could take it along and get faster charging than with the mains cable. (All of this assumes I ever get my Volt: I'm still waiting for it to arrive!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
All changed for me now.

I'm on 1700 miles and used 1.6 Gallons since mid-May.

I had a Chargemaster fitted by British Gas under the Source London Scheme. It will work out £400 installed with 3 year warranty and 3 years of cover for all the electrics in the house.

Full charge in 4 hours at home now and use the standard charger at work occasionally if I need a top up to go somewhere on the way home.

Maximum 49 miles on full charge....minimum 32 miles (mainly motorway).

I have had a few error messages, but Phoenix have just sorted this out for me.

As early adopters I think we deserve a better deal on the car, but I'm really happy now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apparently most of the regional "Plugged-in places" now run grant schemes to give customers up to 60% off the cost of an EV charging point installation for domestic installations and 40% off for commercial ones. There are however a few conditions:- You need to get three quotes for the work
- Only certain charging stations qualify for the scheme
- The charging stations need to include a smart meter to qualify which may cost an additional £400 or so
In my area (Midlands) Plugged-in Midlands is administered by Cenex in Loughborough and you can contact them for details of the scheme: http://www.cenex.co.uk/programmes/plugged-in-midlands
A couple of other companies you can try for charging point installations:
Ploughcroft: http://www.ploughcroft.co.uk/electric-vehicle-charging-wallpods/
and EV Chargers Direct: http://www.evchargersdirect.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just used the custom bind point on B and went to Endirs Point, which is what I set it to at number 6 in my list. But I got on one of my old, old characters and it didnt work the same. Just tells me I dont have a custom bind.

Dunno if that helps. >.> Mixed reports are great.

Should you liked this article along with you wish to receive guidance concerning Why is Dark Souls so hard or How do I get more grass in my Stardew Valley i implore you to check out our own web site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts