Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a new 2013 Captiva LTZ and each time I start the motor, it defaults to ECO mode. How can I change this behavior? I have no intention of using ECO mode.

TIA!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm presuming that the car is an Auto and I have a manual, so I may not be of much help, but if it happens every time you start, could it be that Eco is the default?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you spoken toyour dealer? They should be open tomorrow morning, hopefully they will sort it out. I have several auto's at home but none of them have an eco mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, mine is manual too. And yes Eco is the default. I would like to find a way to change that behavior so that Eco off is the default.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm intrigued- is this the opposite of a sport mode then? I would think you'd need to be into chip remapping etc to take that out and I wouldn't go there for a car under warranty. Is it difficult to switch off every time? In the absence of a permanent fix that's what I would do. That said, maybe the dealer can do you a work around?
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is just a pain to remember to turn it off each time. I know there must be a way though. I hire cars often from Avis when on business travel and many of these cars also have this Eco mode. Yet on all of them when you turn Eco mode off, it stays off. That is not the case with my new Captiva.

I hate to go to the dealer for such a small thing, but maybe I'll have to. I had hoped there was some country wisdom here on this subject.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Holdrege,
I test drove an Auto2.2 LTZ Captiva t'other day, and that definitely did not go into ECO mode by default. I switched it in delibrately to check the stop/start function,but could not get it to work.

Cheers

JEGRugby

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I can verify Jegrugby's comments. I have a 2011-12 LTZ Auto and Eco is not the default mode. It will however start in whichever mode it was left in when last switch off. So the secret seems to be to remember to switch ECO mode off (button is to the upper left of gear shift - would have been easier to get to if they had transposed it to the right of gear shift for the UK market).The answer possibly is to remember to switch off ECO mode before turning off ignition.
If the manual model has for some reason a default to ECO then as previous posts suggest attention by dealer may be only answer to reprogram.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries. I've become used to it and maybe I'm even saving some petrol.

Speaking of that, I'm averaging 10 liters per 100km, although if I reset on the motorway I'm getting 8 liters per km. That seems poor, eh? This is with ECO on. I'm not sure ECO has any effect on the motorway?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Holdrege said:
No worries. I've become used to it and maybe I'm even saving some petrol.

Speaking of that, I'm averaging 10 liters per 100km, although if I reset on the motorway I'm getting 8 liters per km. That seems poor, eh? This is with ECO on. I'm not sure ECO has any effect on the motorway?
10l/100km? its a miracle, the best i ever got from my Mk 1 2.0 vcdi was 13.9 and that was driving like a vicar. 8l/1km seems a bit more like it

·
Registered
227 Posts
bigiainw said:
I'm intrigued- is this the opposite of a sport mode then?

Hi Bigianw
Asfar as I can make out on the manual Captiva, the ECO mode causes the engine to stop when gearbox in neutral with clutch engaged. As soon as you depress the clutch, the engine automatically starts. The feature is inhibited if it detects low battery, cold engine etc etc, hence has lots of excuses not to work.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Ah, so it's what everyone esle calls stop-start? that thing that most cars have to get the emmissions down that no one ever uses!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ah yes stop start, designed to send your engine to an early grave, what else could it do to your engine, at the point when you want to move smartly away from the junction where you have been waiting to get out of at rush hour, as you plant your foot to the floor the engine has to be started and as it starts and under load the oil pressure is still trying to bring its self back up from zero. About as good for engines and starter motors as is DPF's
Edited by: Big Al

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone know if there is more to it than stop/start? especially with a diesel motor?

·
Registered
133 Posts
The only other things they can do really for Eco benefit is another set of parameters from the ECU, slower throttle response etc. equivalent to a de-tune setting. If they had done that to the Eco setting they would have shouted about it in the sales blurb, so if they haven't I would say its just down tothe stop start to keep the tree huggers happy, save a few drops of diesel at the expense of the engines life. and what does that do to the carbon footprint shortening the life of engines.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Big Al said:
Ah yes stop start, designed to send your engine to an early grave, what else could it do to your engine, at the point when you want to move smartly away from the junction where you have been waiting to get out of at rush hour, as you plant your foot to the floor the engine has to be started and as it starts and under load the oil pressure is still trying to bring its self back up from zero. About as good for engines and starter motors as is DPF's
Hi Big Al. I assume that you are talking about the auto box. The manual box engine apparently starts with depression of the clutch, so you can give it more time to build up oil pressure before giving it some boot. The manual will be faster out of the trap than the auto anyway, so it would not need so much boot.

Me? Not like autos? Dont be silly!

jegrugby

·
Registered
476 Posts
jegrugby said:
Big Al said:
Hi Big Al. I assume that you are talking about the auto box. The manual box engine apparently starts with depression of the clutch, so you can give it more time to build up oil pressure before giving it some boot. The manual will be faster out of the trap than the auto anyway, so it would not need so much boot.

Me? Not like autos? Don't be silly!

jegrugby
HI jegrugby just wrote you a chapter and verse on my feelings to stop start and lost it so not writing all again asI only do one finger typing and still cannot remember where all the keys are. Basically I was talking about a manual, and by the time you have dipped the clutch and on the way back out the engine has only just started now if you were to be pulling out ofa junction as a safety factor do you really want to be debating in your mind I must not let the clutch out too quickly, or do you at every junction or lights you approachhave to make the decision which position shall I have the Eco button in, am I going to set off quicklyand is there a chance of me damaging the engine. Best bet do what most people do and leave it turned off and try to forget you paid extra for some thing that is not to your advantage.
If you want to save a bit of fuel be a rebel and free wheel down hills.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Big Al,
Yes, I understand what you are saying. However, I would have thought that if you were expecting to makea rapid start into the traffic you would be in gear and waiting, hence the stop/start would not activate. Incidentally, the on line handbook on the Antara gives a much better description of the system than the Captiva one does - there is even an onscreen index.

Cheers

JEGRugby

1 - 20 of 20 Posts