Chevrolet Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
UPDATE!

I received the Transfer box yesterday. Today I Have started the reassembling.

The same as Ches. They came filled with fluid! ( I checked just in case)

To install it is not as hard as taking it out.

First you have to put the bracket on the motor mount and push it up in a way that it won't disturb the transfer box coming to the gearbox. see below:

Once the bracket is in place. Insert the transfer box into the gearbox hot ( clean very well first)

Then once is connected. Wiggle it in place ensuring that you push the right side up! It won't be difficult.
I put it on my chest and raised into the right height.

Put the two screws from the hole above. hand tight only as you need a bit of movement to get all screws and bolts on the right place.
Once you are satisfied that the TB is on the right position. Lower the bracket from the motor mount and align them as best as you can.

You will need a trolley jack at this point. The holes won't be completely aligned until you raise the TB to the exact position.

I found it easier to put this screw first: Top number two behind the screw ( which does not exist on the series two)
then you put the one that is a "beach" to take out ( extension bar required) you can see the on the last photo

Tomorrow I will take more photos and continue the tutorial.

Question for Victor or anybody who knows the answer:

I marked my old transfer case position in relation to the propeller.
But now I have a new one. Does it make any difference in how I connect it back?

Thanks

Reactions: ches and Victor

·
Registered
726 Posts
You're doing well @gcmarcal getting it all back together, exciting innit? It won't make any difference which way you mate it up to the new box, it doesn't affect the propshaft phasing.

I noticed the starter motor in one of your pics and it might have been a good time to remove it and get it all checked over since you've got to take the transfer box back out to remove it if anything goes wrong with it and Sod's Law is alive and kicking.

You did remember to remove the rag before you mated up the transfer case with the gearbox?

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're doing well @gcmarcal getting it all back together, exciting innit? It won't make any difference which way you mate it up to the new box, it doesn't affect the propshaft phasing.

I noticed the starter motor in one of your pics and it might have been a good time to remove it and get it all checked over since you've got to take the transfer box back out to remove it if anything goes wrong with it and Sod's Law is alive and kicking.

You did remember to remove the rag before you mated up the transfer case with the gearbox?
View attachment 1345
The rag is out! :) I had a glove on it since last week and I used the rag just to clean it properly.

I did take a photo of alternator (below) I know that you need to get the TB out to service it!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I did take a photo of alternator (below) I know that you need to get the TB out to service it!
I said the Starter, not the Alternator. Far as I know the alternator comes out without removing the transfer box..

The transfer box also needs to come out to change the crankshaft sensor which is mounted below the starter..

·
Registered
284 Posts
All done! The car drives beautifully. No weird noises. Even the ones that I thought came from the clutch.

Could not take many more photos but I managed to get more tips for the DIYer to replace the TB.

To replace the bracket above is not as simple as it should be (obliviously!) You have to put the two bolts as above. Tighten them, them use a jack trolley to force the bracket into position an then you can put the other 3. Otherwise they won't align!

Another tip is to replace the gearbox oil , do it before you re attach the under shield because you might drop stuff in there.

Remove the battery only. Don't bother removing the battery tray. You will be able to see the plug on the "hole" besides the fuse box. You will need a hex key number 8 and a very long socket extension ( or very small hands!) Undo the oil filler plug ( can't miss it is the only hex in there).

Then is up to you. You can use a hose... or a small funnel. I used one of my wife's and a empty plastic bottle so you can twist it in place.

I filled mine with at least 2.3 to 2.4 litres. As I had some left over fluid. I read somewhere that even when you drain it at least 200 ml stays in the gearbox.

@Victor Now I know why they ask you to mark the position to the propeller with the TB. It is a pain in the butt to align them and move the transfer box flange by hand ( its doable but is hard!)

Another tip is not to over tighten any bracket or motor mount screws as they are of difficult access. I did not eve bother to torque them to the specs and I could barely reach them with a normal spanner.

Reactions: ches

·
Super Moderator
6,881 Posts
I've got to say Top Marks for being so tenacious and recording the progress in posts and photos. (y)

Reactions: gcmarcal

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've got to say Top Marks for being so tenacious and recording the progress in posts and photos. (y)
+1 for what Aussie said @gcmarcal . Well done and I'm sure your posts will help anyone thinking about tackling the transfer box themelves, only thing that's missing is a video recording from start to finish and then we could make this a sticky.

PS Glad I've got a FWD only and will never have to face transfer box worry / woes.:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would gladly document whole process on video if I had a garage or drive way. I had to do everything on the road in front of my house! Some "fooker" even nicked my spare 2 ton trolley jack which I was using to hold the old TB.

If anyone is trying to do the process and finds this post on the internet. I will be glad to share any more tips.

:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
@ches

See below photos from my original transfer box . I was expecting the bearings to be completely destroyed but I didn't see anything wrong with them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
@gcmarcal had a look at the latest pics and got to agree don’t look all that bad although some of the rollers look like they’ve been overheating – wonder if the box was run short of oil at one point? What you can’t see is whether the inner tracks that the rollers run on are worn, they usually go dull grey, maybe some discolouration instead of a nice shiny finish. If the inner and outer tracks get worn they lose their matching tapers and the rollers don’t roll, they slip and slide instead and don’t last long.

Looking at that pinion gear there’s signs of wear there and would be noisy in operation. I can see why the transmission shop was saying you’d need a lot of parts, probably beyond economical repair.

Any road, you’ve got it to play with for a while. It still works and who knows ya might get a few quid for it on ebay for somebody that wants a quick trick fix’n’sell.

·
Registered
284 Posts
@gcmarcal had a look at the latest pics and got to agree don’t look all that bad although some of the rollers look like they’ve been overheating – wonder if the box was run short of oil at one point? What you can’t see is whether the inner tracks that the rollers run on are worn, they usually go dull grey, maybe some discolouration instead of a nice shiny finish. If the inner and outer tracks get worn they lose their matching tapers and the rollers don’t roll, they slip and slide instead and don’t last long.

Looking at that pinion gear there’s signs of wear there and would be noisy in operation. I can see why the transmission shop was saying you’d need a lot of parts, probably beyond economical repair.

Any road, you’ve got it to play with for a while. It still works and who knows ya might get a few quid for it on ebay for somebody that wants a quick trick fix’n’sell.
The oil was fine!

I believe everything is related. When I bought this car I could hear a weird noise coming from the left hand side of the car (not until few months). I thought it was the clutch pinion bearing. When I went to France it got really noise and suddenly stopped.

That noise and vibration started in late November. One week before I did the video diagnose I checked the fluid and it was still in good level.

It was just bad luck. Same as Ches as he changed the fluid correctly and his TB failed.

Looking on the bright side, I've got experience "level up" and the car could have gone bad in France which would destroy my holidays driving abroad.

I would have not even tried without everyone's support and feedback! ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
The pinions are not badly shaved, the bearings have some signs of wear indeed. Do you feel any play when you grab the bearing and move it? The sign in the middle of the pinion in the last 2 pictures is normal.
Can you take close pictures to each of the outer bearing rings? The ones that are attached to the transfer case housing. I want to see where the shims are mounted. I have 3 of them and 4 bearings :) .

·
Registered
284 Posts
The pinions are not badly shaved, the bearings have some signs of wear indeed. Do you feel any play when you grab the bearing and move it? The sign in the middle of the pinion in the last 2 pictures is normal.
Can you take close pictures to each of the outer bearing rings? The ones that are attached to the transfer case housing. I want to see where the shims are mounted. I have 3 of them and 4 bearings :) .
I will do this weekend! When I get home is too dark and my garage has no lighting

·
Registered
284 Posts
@ches

Sorry I didn't take the photos yet! With this zombie apocalypse going on I am not going out very often. The garage where am I keeping the old TB is actually attache to the other houses a few hundred meters from my house!

I will get them for you asap

·
Registered
726 Posts
How are you getting on with the new transfer box? Is it nice and quiet, do you have any remaining vibrations etc?

·
Registered
284 Posts
How are you getting on with the new transfer box? Is it nice and quiet, do you have any remaining vibrations etc?
Perfect! Everything is so quiet that I am getting annoyed with minor plastic vibration that comes from under the steering wheel ( probably a loosen plastic clip) which I could never hear before!

The only thing that I will do in the near future is to add the heat shield!

·
Super Moderator
6,881 Posts
GC, What a fantastic result. I have to say how much I've admired your efforts and tenacity in getting this work done. Well Done .(y)

·
Registered
726 Posts
GC, What a fantastic result. I have to say how much I've admired your efforts and tenacity in getting this work done. Well Done .(y)
Yes, my thoughts too Ed. Wonder if GC would be interested in taking it up professionally, i could see about getting him some work up here in Scotland doing transfer boxes for all the Captivas and Antaras. Need to get him onto EGR valve and DPF servicing / replacement as well to round it off. I'd be prepared to work on a commission basis, say 15% plus VAT. :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
lol. I am too slow to work professionally as mechanic! I cant do EGRs at the moment but I do need to clean mine. I will see if I can find one of those crazy Russian garages doing it!
Did I mention that I found one teaching how to make awd in 2wd? (sort off)

101 - 120 of 127 Posts