Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I`m trying to change the timing belt but cannot get the crankshaft pulley off.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi if the problem is locking the crankshaft to allow the pulley bolt to be removed then you should look under the transmission casing. There should be a slot on the line on the crankshaft and in the area of the flywheel ring gear. A substantial flat bladed screwdriver can be inserted in the slot and engage with the ring gear and lock the crankshaft allowing removal of the pulley bolt. The same technique is used to tighten the pulley bolt.You will need another person to help to hold the screwdriver in position. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi if the problem is locking the crankshaft to allow the pulley bolt to be removed then you should look under the transmission casing. There should be a slot on the line on the crankshaft and in the area of the flywheel ring gear. A substantial flat bladed screwdriver can be inserted in the slot and engage with the ring gear and lock the crankshaft allowing removal of the pulley bolt. The same technique is used to tighten the pulley bolt.You will need another person to help to hold the screwdriver in position. Good luck.
Hi jasta,

Thanks for your help and I`ll go in search of the slot.I`ll post a progress report.Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi jasta,
The continuing saga! I found the slot and removed the pulley bolt.The pulley doesn`t want to come off though.Do I need a particular tool or is it a case of levering it off somehow? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts