Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Orlando 1.8 petrol 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2012 Orlando 1.8 petrol and recently the immobiliser light has been lighting up on the dash, then all of a sudden and not every single time, the car wont turn over, you turn the key and there is no sound at all, wait a minute, try again etc and eventually after 3 or 4 goes the engine starts and everything’s fine, no light lit up and car drives fine. It’s not happening every time, just now and then.

Rang my local Vauxhall and one further afield and basically they said they could hook it up to their diagnostic computer but that because Chevrolet have withdraw diagnostic support from the uk they may not be able to actually diagnose the fault or fix it!!!!

I’m at a loss now on what to do, I’m going to take it over and see if their computer comes up with anything but if they can’t go through the diagnostic process because its no longer available where does that leave me?!

I’m really starting to regret ever buying this car :(

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
PMHO, Have you read any of the existing posts on this problem? There are plenty of discussions already on Back Index which can be read by using the Forum Search Function . link: Search results for query: wont start

Usual areas to check are:- poor battery condition; corrosion or lose clamp on battery terminal, corrosion or lose nut on starter motor, poor crimping on earth cable terminals, lose or corroded earth on fuse box housing (in engine bay), dirty fuse connection. Immobiliser lamp can mean poor signal between key fob and on board diagnostics. Try changing key Fob batteries (when was this last done?). Might be poor fuel supply (when were fuel filters changed?) but I doubt it because this wouldnt normally involve immobiliser illumination but it is possible if electrical signalling isnt complete. Plenty to read up on. Make yourself wiser before you fall for another rip off (flexipipe refer).

Your local garage is already lining you up for a 'hit' by their comment "because Chevrolet have withdrawn diagnostic support from the uk they may not be able to actually diagnose the fault or fix it!!!!" GM diagnostic equipment is readily available and is the basis of diagnostics in a Vauxhall dealer. If they need an info centre to refer back to then they are not technically competent. Then what will they do - possibly tighten a lose nut, clean off some corrosion, keep your vehicle for a day or two, tell you they've spent 'x' man hours labour and - bingo they've spun you a yarn and you get your credit card out ! (Is this the same dealer who 'took' you £475 for an exhaust flexipipe?)

This sounds like soften him up first type of patter. Not everything needs GM's diagnostics..... there are simple basics (above) which a back street engineer can check through or even yourself if you are physically able.

We have no idea where in the UK you are located because you didnt complete your 'Location' in Sign-Up. We have at least narrowed it down to you being in UK because of your reference to Vauxhall and the Forum system has identified UK. Tell us where you are and a Forum member may well recommend 'a man who can' near where you live.

Helpful guidance on completing your Sign-Up, how to add your vehicle details and use the Forum Search index and other tips are on the following link:-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just as an update, after many many phone calls its seems there is no one who can access chevrolets in depth diagnostics, an independent garage told me it costs circa 10k for the programme and as chevrolets are not sold here anymore, dealerships aka Vauxhall are no longer paying to subscribe.

Anyhow, I wrote a list of possible causes after searching here and pistonheads and took car somewhere to get battery checked, it showed as being weak so bought a new battery. Since the new battery went in, no more problems starting or immobiliser light showing.

It’s been really mild since Monday so i will have to wait until the temp drops again to see if it’s definitely sorted the problem, but for now it seems changing the car battery has resolved the issue.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
What did I say in my first response..... "Usual areas to check are:- poor battery condition; corrosion or lose clamp on battery terminal, ..... "
You didnt have to write a list or search because I listed the immediately probable obvious causes in post#2 all of which were easy 'check first' basics.
Why didnt you get your local mechanic to check these basics??
Your very first description was typical of a power problem.

I think you have been fed a load of B*** S**T and/or they took you as clueless. I simply think they didnt want your custom.
Diagnostic codes are easy to establish and a Vauxhall dealer WILL HAVE GM equipment capable of reading the DTC's and even some reasonably inexpensive DIY diagnostic readers are pretty good too. The internet is full of answers to diagnostic codes .
The only thing which is correct is that Chevrolets technical office office at Luton was closed down.

Conclusion ............unnecessary drama, storm in a tea cup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery condition actually looked fine, everything was tight and as it should be, it just read as weak. My car was already back from mechanic as i thought I’d have to take it to vauxhall.

I cant speak on wether they do or don’t want my custom, but i rang ALL around the uk and they ALL specified “we don’t have the correct diagnostic equipment” now that may of been my local vauxhall spinning me a line but every single one i rang said exactly the same thing, so there’s obviously some sort of issue with them accessing the diagnostics. They are all saying they DONT have the GM equipment!

Anyway, I didn’t post to get a prickly response of i told you so, i just posted to update for anyone reading in future with the same problem. Tone can be misinterpreted in typed form but you don’t come across as particularly friendly, to a female newbie just looking for some advice its a bit intimidating.

·
Super Moderator
6,995 Posts
PMHO, Your response noted. Being a Female Newbie has nothing to do with it and your Avatar doesnt distinguish anyway.

You came on the Forum for some advice, and you were provided with appropriate initial guidance which reflected the most logical way forward based upon your described conditions. If your 'local mechanic' didnt undertake those basic checks as you are implying, then I can only suggest that he let you down at a basic fundamental level.

A Totally flat battery can 'look fine' visually. The difference between a fully charged battery and a virtually flat one is 1 or 2 volts and it must have sufficient Amps to enable cranking of starter and provide sufficient signal via sensors to the Immobiliser. A further clue was in your first post advising that the immobiliser was throwing up an error. Your original post clearly described poor or non existent cranking. This simply screamed out check the battery and cables. Your local mechanic was 'asleep at the wheel' if he didnt consider these items first. Current travel restrictions are resulting in a huge number of vehicles not being driven sufficiently to recharge batteries sufficiently. Every motor mechanic has a battery tester. Even DIY ones from High Street are less than £10.

It may be true of no central electronic central data base controlled by Chevrolet in the UK, but for initial basic diagnosis this wasnt necessary anyway.
This was a student trainee motor mechanic at College type of issue. You were clearly let down by the mechanic & dealer(s) you went to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts