Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2 year old Captiva LT and would like to fit a SatNav/Bluetooth device to it. Can anyone recommend an in-dash model which is compatible?

If possible I'd also like a HDD audio setup too. Any all-in-one devices available?

The reason I ask is that I have a Dodge Avenger which is fitted with the MyGig HDD/SatNav/Bluetooth system and it's fantastic. I'm about to sell the Dodge and start sharing the Chevvy with my wife but I don't want to lose the MyGig features.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks interesting. Although I'd be a little concerned by this quote from their listing:-

"We have over 18 months worth of experience in In-Car entertainment"

18 months eh?

Please post your experience if you do buy one - I'd be interested myself.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Phoenix126 said:
Looks interesting. Although I'd be a little concerned by this quote from their listing:-

"We have over 18 months worth of experience in In-Car entertainment"

18 months eh?

Everyone has to start somewhere....

I have been in touch with them about fitting, and have had some useful info from them. I dont think they are "rip off" merchants, simply importing this device from China and they will load it with either TomTom or Iogo SatNav s/w.

If you search the net for this, you will see it everything from £319 (ebay link I posted) to OVER £2000. It's the same kit, just different sellers and assume slightly different builds of the o/s.

I just wish I could find a workshop manual for the Captiva to understand how much work there is to fit this....

If you are interested in accessories for the Captiva, have a look at my post on Sidebars....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm tempted, but leery of lashing out £320 on something imported from China. Warranty could be a big problem.

I contacted the eBay seller - they say that they can usually sort out problems in the UK but sometimes units have to be returned to China.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree Phoenix. I was really tempted. My last car was a S-Type Jag, which had a factory fitted Sat-Nav, Blue Tooth, Voice Control system. Really really great. That is why I was tempted with this. But although the supplier answered my questions I was taken back by his suggestion that it did not HAVE to be connected to the handbrake. In the UK it is an offence to have a driver visible TV/DVD screen that is not disabled when the vehicle is in motion.

I was also not 100% certain that the quality of the Sat Nav and Phone kit would suit my needs.

So I have bought a Garmin Sat Nav instead. The handsfree phone quality on this is still to be tested, but at the price I can still get a professionally fitted phone kit, and this way I know I have a good Sat Nav and a quality phone kit, without the toys (eg, DVD player). Also I keep my 6 disc DVD player fitted in the Captiva. As for DVD, well I have a portable one with extra screen for the kids to use in the back anyway....

If you do go for the option, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it....

But in reflection, I decided not to....

Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may follow your example and just go for a handsfree setup and keep the existing stereo (which isn't bad after all).

I'll have a think about whether I even need Sat-Nav at the moment.

Anyone recommend a good in-car bluetooth system?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm going to try the in built bluetooth in my Garmin SatNav for a while. To be honest I'm not expecting much, as my experience of these types of kits hasn't been great. They have a in-built mic and use the satNav speaker. In the past I have found them good, when the car is stationary, but as soon as you start the engine and move, the noise makes it either impossible to hear the person you are taling to, or they cant hear you, but more often than not BOTH.....

I have checked out car kits, and the one I would go for is the Parrot CK3100 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parrot-CK3100-Advanced-Bluetooth-Car/dp/B000621SN0) but shop around. I have seen the price of this differ from £80 - £180. I have just shown the amazon link so you can see the kit.

All in all, it has one of the best reviews. Again, check out fitters (unless you are doing yourself), as the price of fitting also varies greatly, and check recomendations, as you dont want some numpty with a screwdriver taking trim off your car and it never fitting again. Seen this so many times, back when I had a company car, but back then the car wasnt mine.....

I did find a site, that would supply and fit for £180. But I havent taken them up, so please dont use this as a recomendation, and do contact and ask them questions if you go down this route. Not saying they are good or bad, just had email contacts with them. They are:- http://www.mobilecarkitsolutions.co.uk/(email: [email protected])

If you do get one fitted let me know what it was like, and who fitted it and how good they where....

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts