Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi wonder if anyone has had this issue? Have a Cruze from 2010 and seem to get a problem occasionally where I indicate or brake and I get a couple of lights briefly illuminate on the dash (usually ABS or TC but have had others) with a "ding" noise as well. Have had the radio cut out briefly when lights/Sat nav/windows in use as well. This is usually cleared when stopped/start car. Had the battery replaced and the problem went away for a couple of months but came back. Have done a bit of research online and found the below youtube entry covering a similar problem pointing towards negative battery cable. I have seen this reported a few times but it always seems to be in the US (dunno if that has any relevance really). Just wondered if anyone has had the same problem in UK and had the cable replaced? The computer codes have been checked by my mechanic but there is nothing conclusive.

One of the cylinders went back in Nov and had to have the engine control unit replaced. Getting to the stage where I might have to cut my losses and get rid of it. Dont really want to as it only has 56k on the clock.

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay.

Nigel

Intermittent electrical problem effecting radio and instrument cluster on 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. Cluster and/or radio flash on/off at random or can be tripped when using turn signal, brakes, windows, etc. Warnings that flash on the cluster vary between StabiliLink, security, traction control, power steering, etc. This video was taken Jan 2014 during normal driving. The problem appears in video at 1:25 when tripped using windows. RESOLUTION: Dealership replaced the BCM and negative battery cable during last visit in early 2014 and the issue no longer appeared through the rest of my ownership*. It appears this problem is linked to an insufficient crimp on the negative battery cable clamp at the battery negative terminal which can lead to an increase in internal resistances that do not allow electrical systems to receive adequate power.

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Intermittent Electrical Problem

Registered
Change the negative cable. Easy and cheap, and the explanation accompanying the video does make a degree of sense. However it does not explain why the BCM would need to be replaced rather than just reset.

My 508 blew a fuse after a bit of bad accessory fitting by myself. This triggered the airbag module to report a deployed airbag, light on dash permanently. My PP2000 showed that the SRS module had recorded voltage variation outside of the normal, and for reasons only a piece of french electronics would understand, assumed that I had crashed ( perhaps after a large lunch and a bottle of red?) thankfully it was a re-settable condition.
Moral: Go after the simple fix first, and don't be too hard on Chevy, even BMW were incapable of making up a decent bit of cable, result, fires and thousands of Beemers sitting in dealerships for months, leaving the rest of us much safer 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. Getting it replaced on Wed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts