Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Trying to connect my IPOD to the USB.

The IPOD says connected and if I disconnect the Captiva screen says disconnected so it is acknowledging it but doesnt recognise it.

No folders are displayed. I have an 80gb IPOD video.

I tried it with an IPOD Nano and same issue. Also used 2 different cables both of which work on my Mac so the cable isn't to blame.

Anyone got this to work or have some advice for me please?
Edited by: Moboy

·
Registered
652 Posts
Think the problem is you are trying to do something that isnt designed to work that way......

When you connect your iPod, it recognises that it is connected to "something" as it will detect a signal on the UDB cable. So it's firmware shows connected. The cars system does exactly the same thing. However, an iPod when connected via a USB cable (remembering that an iPod doesnt have a USB interface, but the generic iPod one) will assume it is either connected to a Power Source or a Computer, or a iPod approved "docking system". So it will send the relevant "hand-shake" to the connected device, but wont get a response. So it will do nothing.

Your car will be doing the same, only it will be looking for a USB memory device, which it can play media files which is compatible with its programming, MP3 or the like. Of course it doesnt get the recognised response, so does nothing.

It is a common misconception that you can connect an iPod to any USB device, it simply doesnt work like this. Apple are as protective as MicroSoft when it comes to their IPR, actucally they are worse. Which is why my iPod speaker system which works with my iPod 2G will not work with my sons iPod Touch 4G. Apple decided to add more validation to thier firmware, making all older docking station uncompatible. Of course they dont publish this fact.

Ok, now I've bored you all silly......

If you want to connect your iPod to your car's stereo, you buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack cable. Plug one jack into the ear pone socket on the iPod and the other into the aux jack (in) on the stereo. Put the stereo into Aux mode and play on the iPod.

No other method will work, unless, you jailbreak your iPod (break the firmware, by loading non official apple firmware) or get your Car's system updated to be iPod compatible. Of course, maybe Chevvy do have an iPod compatible version, if they advertise it as iPod compatible. There have been guys posting here with different versions of firmware on their cars system.

I know this may not help, but I hope it gives an insight into a problem that has been discussed on this board on many threads.

I am by the way, an IT consultant, and have an insight to the problem above.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great reply. I too work in IT so totaly understand what you wrote above. Thanks for taking the time.

So is there an IPOD dock for the car which will plug into the USB device and interpret the information from the IPOD to the car?

·
Registered
652 Posts
The only docks for the car I know of, ALL work around the 3.5 mm jack, by using the headphone out. Some use bluetooth to connect to bluetooth stereos, others use FM transmitters, some simply plug straight into the 3.5mm aux in.

I think you need to be careful going down this route, as you could pay a load of money, where a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack extension for about a £1 in Asda will do just as fine.

I have seen a cable that plugs from the iPod port to a car power lead and a 3.5mm jack, so that you can charge the iPod and plu the jack into the aux in, but it was a chinese special, and my experience on iPod accessories is that they dont all work (as per my first reply).

You can charge and play, with a car charge and my trusted 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. Safest and guaranteed method to work on all iPods or similar MP3 players.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to crash in on your post but I wonder if you can suggest any ideas to my problem.
I've been using the 3.5 to 3.5 lead for my ipod for ages without any problems until yesterday. The end of the jack has somehow detached itself and is now stuck in the socket on the radio. It's about 5mm of the silver tip. Any suggestions as to how I can remove it apart from removing the whole radio unit.

It does still work but only through the right speaker and with not much volume.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

·
Registered
652 Posts
Makes sense to me.... Sounds like the jack got bent at some point. My son did the same thing on his headphones, when using them on a plane, and bumped them getting in and out of his seat.

The reason only one channel is now working (ie. right speakers) is because the jack is multi channel. The Tip as you put it, being the connection for the left channel, with another section of the plug being the right.

You can also get 3 channel jacks, ie Phone headsets, where the 3rd section of the jack is for the mic.

You can see the sections on a jack, as you will notice an insulation ring (mostly black, but can be other colours) along the length of the plug.

Back to your problem. If the broken bit is in your stereo, then it is not good news. I know no guaranteed way of extracting this as it is designed to lock into place to avoid falling out. Hence, the shape (bulbous) of the jack plug. In the socket there will be 2 or 3 spring connectors which "catch" and hold the jack plug. These springs will be holding the tip in place, and unless you have a very small pair of tweezers and very lucky I cant see how you will pull the broken end out. The only other way, and this depends on the design and build of the stereo unit, is to remove it and "strip it down", and hope that the jack socket is accessible so that you can remove the broken jack plug.

Really sorry Fozzy, but you have an extremely difficult problem to fix.

This is why I always check the condition of a jack plug before inserting it... although you don't want to hear that now....

Good luck...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just thought of a million to one shot....

Get yourself another jack.... apply some superglue to the tip.

Insert this jack in so that it touches the broken tip. Hold firmly enough for the glue to set, then gently remove... This may pull out the broken bit....

BUT THIS IS VERY RISKY..... AS YOU MAY GET GLUE RESIDUE ON THE INSIDE OF THE JACK, SO BECAREFULL NOT TO USE TOO MUCH. AND IT IS NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK, AS NOT ALL SUPER GLUES WILL STICK TO METAL.

I HAVE PUT THIS IN BOLD CAPS... AS I CANT STRESS HOW RISKY THIS APPROACH IS, AND YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK OF CAUSING FURTHER DAMAGE.
Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
652 Posts
...and forgot to add, if you do try my RISKY aproach you could risk super glueing the jack you are using as a "tool" in the socket.....

The more I think about it, I wouldnt risk it.... best remove the stereo and hope that when you remove the casing, the socket is accessible (which not all are).

Sorry... you got a nasty problem there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts