Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Captiva is back on the road after my argument with a boulder in the snow, all fixed and lovely again. The body shop have done a great job of matching the zest brown paint- I was worried but it looks as if I needn't have. Spoke to the chap who did the work- if you remember, it holed the sump and broke the front bumper- and they actually sealled the sump with fibreglass, filled it with oil and ran it to make sure the engine hadn't been damaged- it hadn't, although as the insurance was paying and I was claiming anyway, if I had thought about it, i might have let it die, but as the car has only done 22k, it was more hassle. If it had done 50K +, it might have been a different story.

Anyhow, it's great to be back in the car and get my wife off my back for using hers all the time...

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
476 Posts
bigiainw surprised you didn't stick out for a new sump, although if the block had to come out its a bit like taking the back off a watch they dont always seam to run the same after being messed about with. I take it when you say fibre glass its some sort of epoxy resin. Keep inspecting the repaire next summer because hot oil can be very searching just to make sure they got a good bond to the metal. My captiva is zest brown not everybodies cup of tea but it does make them stand out from the crowd a bit, like the car but the combination of auto and pulling a caravan the MPG well on a long run I have to book a tanker to follow me, also going to have my right leg shortened to see if that helps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just curiosity what bodyshop did you put it in to ? And unless you mean they fibre glassed it just to check the engine was ok i would not accept a patched up sump in time the constant heat then cold will make it brittle

·
Registered
652 Posts
Wish mine was.... 3rd day now. Had to order new wheel bearing, you wouldn't have thought it too difficult to get one would you.... Hopefully today.

Now, bigianw, be more carefull with it this time ...

Seriously, I'm no mechanic, but not sure I'd be happy with a fibre glass patch. Sounds like your insurance company saving money.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Al said:
bigiainw surprised you didn't stick out for a new sump, although if the block had to come out its a bit like taking the back off a watch they dont always seam to run the same after being messed about with. I take it when you say fibre glass its some sort of epoxy resin. Keep inspecting the repaire next summer because hot oil can be very searching just to make sure they got a good bond to the metal. My captiva is zest brown not everybodies cup of tea but it does make them stand out from the crowd a bit, like the car but the combination of auto and pulling a caravan the MPG well on a long run I have to book a tanker to follow me, also going to have my right leg shortened to see if that helps.
No, I got a new sump alright, this was just the bodyshop making sure the engine hadn't done it's bearings before replacing the sump rather than it needing a whole engine- it was an insurance job, so I wouldn't have allowed them to just patch it, especially with anything resembling fibreglass!

·
Registered
476 Posts
That explains it, I know there is some marvelous synthetic resins out there but it did sound a little strange.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snow's back too :0(

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ah i see ! Thought that was the case just that i have worked for some bodyshops that would try that just to pocket the price of fitting and replacing the new sump .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts