Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2012 Orlando and it was supplied with only one key fob which works fine. As I need a spare I purchased a fob (434mhz) and had the key cut. Obviously it manages to open doors and turns ignition but chip in keyfob doesnt switch off immobiliser. Does anyone know how to program the key? I did see an online video of a new Cruze key being programmed automatically once the original key starts the engine. I did try same method but it doesnt work. My local Vauxhall dealer says they cant program the key. I dont want to overpay for something I can hopefully do myself. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Andy, My first question is who still has the 'other key'? Why people buy a vehicle with only one key never ceases to amaze me! This normally goes hand in hand with no Owners handbook either.
Why not take this up the issue of the missing key with the seller.

On the assumption you are in UK as you refer to Vauxhall (you didnt complete your World Location in your Sign-up) larger branches branches of Timsons (or other vehicle locksmiths in your area) can probably resolve this.

You can also use the Forum Topic Index to read previous posts on this issue. Go to Tools>Advanced Search> (topic) > (Orlando or Captiva)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Many locksmith can sort this out in seconds and relatively inexpensive.they take your original fob read the chip and clone your new one

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't think it is as simple as you might think, neither Timpson nor other "High Street" places have been able to "clone" the (plip) transponder key for my Aveo (I have mislaid the spare transponder only key), seems to be due to the newer cars having a better or newer transponder system. Former dealer did say they can still get them though....at about £130.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Many locksmith can sort this out in seconds and relatively inexpensive.they take your original fob read the chip and clone your new one

Those days are gone! Nowadays any new key costs over 100 quid! Cheapest I found so far £180.00 par a captiva

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
No idea if this will work but I found this online.

How to Program GM Key Fobs
Enter your GM vehicle with your keyless remote and your ignition key in hand. ...
Insert your key into the ignition and press and hold the "Unlock" tab on your driver's side door. ...
Turn the key in the ignition to "On" and then back to "Off" two times in quick succession.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. Tried many places now and no luck. Even main vauxhall dealer near me will not code a spare key. Timpsons will cut and code a new key but only to physically open the door and start the car not the button remotes. (I may have to settle for this option) Starting to think buying this motor was a bad idea due to lack of support. I will try the last tip on coding a new key but I'm not hopeful. Thanks anyway.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
Starting to think buying this motor was a bad idea due to lack of support.

Andy, Sorry to have to put this rather bluntly but the 'bad idea' was to purchase a vehicle with only one key in the first place.
If you paid an extra reduced price for the vehicle because of the missing key then that's the trade off.

You also mention "Even main vauxhall dealer near me will not code a spare key" , where is 'near me'?
You still havent given your Location (missing from your original Sign-up). Doing so just might result in a forum member knowing a 'good' auto locksmith in your location who can work wonders and solve your problem.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Tried many places now and no luck. Even main vauxhall dealer near me will not code a spare key. Timpsons will cut and code a new key but only to physically open the door and start the car not the button remotes. (I may have to settle for this option) Starting to think buying this motor was a bad idea due to lack of support. I will try the last tip on coding a new key but I'm not hopeful. Thanks anyway.
When I bought my Orlando, it too only came with one key.......this is very common now with used cars! I can only assume it’s to do with the pace of life these days and people genuinely forget to give the spare key (that’s probably stuffed in some kitchen drawer!) when trading their vehicle in........anyway I got myself a key cut to open the door, start the car for £60....no remote buttons, and a lot of cars in the past had this set up anyway, one key with remote buttons and the spare was just a normal key with the chip in it.
At the end of the day the previous owners probably never needed their spare key, hence that’s why it’s lost in the kitchen drawer!
The main reason I wanted a spare was if somehow the button key became locked in the vehicle. I would go for the normal key to open/start car.

·
Super Moderator
6,875 Posts
At the end of the day the previous owners probably never needed their spare key, hence that’s why it’s lost in the kitchen drawer!
Kev, That's why I made my suggestion in my post of 15th August.

"Why not take this up the issue of the missing key with the seller."

·
Registered
156 Posts
Kev, That's why I made my suggestion in my post of 15th August.

"Why not take this up the issue of the missing key with the seller."

Funnily enough I contacted the previous owner of my car when I bought it (mainly to quiz them about any DPF issues!) however the new V5 log books no longer list the previous owners name and address, luckily the car came with some garage invoices which had their details on but they said they never had a spare when they bought it....so the trail went cold, my car was first registered in Scotland.....so my spare key is likely to be up there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts