Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Complete newbie in need of help. I have a 2013 captiva ltz. I've been having problems for the last few months with my keyless entry key, says key not detected on 2 sets of keys. Batteries have been replaced and the local garage advised no fault codes. I today purchased odb2 device to help me detect any codes going forward. Today it happened again, key not detected, So I used my odb2 device but no error codes found. I really don't know what to do next, sometime I cannot start the car and sometimes the car doesn't unlock, any ideas?Edited by: Magpie1862

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Magpie, I'm not sure about this one.
Which version of Captiva do you have as there was the facelift to the series II Captiva in 2013; do you have LED rear light cluster & rhomboid exhaust tips, i.e. post-facelift?

I believe I read in another thread that the key sensor in the post-facelift Captiva is under the central storage "bin" between the front seats. Have you got anything in there ? this might interfere with the signal between key & detector.

Also "Local garage", are they familiar withChevrolets, or is it an independent operator ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Please edit the topic to something that reflects the issue its regarding.
Edited by: A-Man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the rwply. Yes it's post facelift. The key does work in the central storage bin as a backup, found this out a week ago after being Stuck in my car for 30 minutes.

Yes was a Chevrolet dealer.

Thanks again, any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Magpie, Editing of your post is via the 'Post Options' at the top right hand side of your original post entry. I know it's possible to change content but I'm not sure if the original Title can be changed. You'll have to try. The reason the request was made is because the title 'help' means very little to the readers and the forum search function has no idea as to the topic. To pinpoint the issue in the title is much more helpful, as is knowing the exact variant of vehicle because of variations especially around 2013 models.I hope you/we can resolve your difficulty with key function.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
How is your ignition start switch on the steering column, sticky or easy to start.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Easy to start but won't move when the key is not detected.
Did you ever get to bottom of this issue? We're having exactly the same issue with our 2013 LTZ. Just had a new key done to test if it was the key, but its happened again. Some days it works fine, others it won't start and keeps saying 'electronic key not detected'. So frustrating and no idea what to do with it now. We're taking it back to Chev garage (Arnold Clark), they've been great so far but I'd like to get this sorted now! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
Could simply be that the battery in the FOB has shifted position (sometimes happens if the key is dropped or not quite inserted correctly/fully).
Remove the battery clean both sides and reinsert.

As a new member there are some helpful tips on how to complete your Sign-up and get the best use of the Forum:-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could simply be that the battery in the FOB has shifted position (sometimes happens if the key is dropped or not quite inserted correctly/fully).
Remove the battery clean both sides and reinsert.

As a new member there are some helpful tips on how to complete your Sign-up and get the best use of the Forum:-
Many thanks - but one of the keys was brand new, literally 3 days old. I also tried it with my other key and both at the same time!
It's an intermittent fault - some days it works fine but then on occasions it simply won't detect the keys. Incredibly frustrating and has confused everyone who has looked at it so far!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts