Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me out with rear disc brake backplates/dustshields. It seems they have a lot of names. Mine is a 2008 1.4 petrol. I'm at my wits end here trying to find them. Are there any other GM models that would be the same parts? It feels like mission impossible so I'd be very grateful for any help. I'm in Ireland but can buy from anywhere as it's the only thing stopping it passing the road MOT here and means what is otherwise a low mileage good condition car going for scrap.
Thanks in advance.
Patrick

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Sorry to say this Forum is not a parts sourcing facility. All GM owners in UK/Europe are in the same boat now. You just have to use the internet and persevere. The Nubira was the predecessor to the Lacetti so there is a possibility these may be suitable.
A recent post within the last few days has mentioned Autodoc as a possible parts provider.
As a new Forum Member the following link provides helpful information on how to complete your Sign-up and other information.

Reactions: breifne111

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
528 Posts
This is a difficult, and time consuming question to answer, particularly as we do not have the car in front of us, or a picture of the part.

I had a look at the workshop manual, and as best as I can see, those Lacetti's fitted with rear disc brakes have the type where the disc is also a drum, for provision of the shoes for the handbrake. As I was working doing delivery driving yesterday, I stopped and had a look at a parked Lacetti and that seems to be the case.

The trouble is that the workshop manual shows an exploded view of the rear brakes, but only shows the backing plate for the purely drum version that was sold in some markets and has the wheel cylinder attached to it, the exploded view of the disc version does not show the backing plate, or part number, but it can be seen in some of the other braking diagrams-but no details.
No reason is given as to why these parts need to be replaced, however I would guess at it being due to corrosion. As Victor has previously pointed out, sometimes people come on here and pretty much "threaten" to scrap a car if we cannot help with parts supply. It is different at my home, If a simple part like this was NLA, and an MOT depended on it, I would use the remains of the original, and a cereal packet, to make a pattern, and then make a new one from sheet metal, even if it did take all afternoon!

There are a small number of these cars being broken on eBay, but who knows what the state of this part would be on those cars, and who would be willing to remove them for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
T250 2dr. 1.2 lpg
528 Posts
It is, but you cannot actually order one. So far as I can see.

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Metro & Jasta, This is the nightmare frustration of owning what is a reasonably modern vehicle and even though the vehicle may have been lovingly cared for and in good running order, a simple thing like this creates a potential 'scrap' situation.
I found the Motor doctor entry yesterday but when clicking on the 1.4 variant it came back 'not available'. :-(
Whether the other vehicle variants would fit is unclear. I suspect not because the disc diameters are probably larger.

Having searched online, a seriously corroded backing dust plate is a MOT failure in the UK and according to the OP the same applies in Ireland. What doesnt seem to be clear is whether the absence of such component represents a failure. There are posts where the corroded part has been totally removed (do both sides so there is uniformity) and the vehicle has passed. Whilst we tend to refer to them as 'dust plates' they do perform a task of helping to avoid road debris ie stones, construction debris, even just bits of tree branch being trapped between the pads and brake disc which would imped braking efficiency, so they have a safety issue in design. On vehicles with rear drums, such plates are seldom incorporated because the drum itself provides protection.

It may well be a situation where the OP (Patrick) may have to find a sheet metal fabricator to make some. Either that or Patrick is planning on a weeks holiday in Spalding ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Metro & Jasta, This is the nightmare frustration of owning what is a reasonably modern vehicle and even though the vehicle may have been lovingly cared for and in good running order, a simple thing like this creates a potential 'scrap' situation.
I found the Motor doctor entry yesterday but when clicking on the 1.4 variant it came back 'not available'. :-(
Whether the other vehicle variants would fit is unclear. I suspect not because the disc diameters are probably larger.

Having searched online, a seriously corroded backing dust plate is a MOT failure in the UK and according to the OP the same applies in Ireland. What doesnt seem to be clear is whether the absence of such component represents a failure. There are posts where the corroded part has been totally removed (do both sides so there is uniformity) and the vehicle has passed. Whilst we tend to refer to them as 'dust plates' they do perform a task of helping to avoid road debris ie stones, construction debris, even just bits of tree branch being trapped between the pads and brake disc which would imped braking efficiency, so they have a safety issue in design. On vehicles with rear drums, such plates are seldom incorporated because the drum itself provides protection.

It may well be a situation where the OP (Patrick) may have to find a sheet metal fabricator to make some. Either that or Patrick is planning on a weeks holiday in Spalding ;)
Thank you very much for that. It looks like the only way is exactly what you said. Applying for a completely new test after taking them off. I've now heard of people doing it with disc brake who have got away with it.
Most obliged.

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Thank you very much for that. It looks like the only way is exactly what you said. Applying for a completely new test after taking them off. I've now heard of people doing it with disc brake who have got away with it.
Most obliged.
Just be mindful that that there is no guarantee it will go unnoticed and you might be back to square one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just be mindful that that there is no guarantee it will go unnoticed and you might be back to square one.
Thanks a million, I'm aware of that. Its an expensive gamble as I'll lose the retest fee and have another new test fee..which is about 86 euro. I'm going to get the old ones off and see if I can redesign them using sheet and maybe pop-rivets with a liberal coat of black goo. If they don't like it I'll appeal the process. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Patrick, Just a reminder nudge to complete your Sign Up. The Sections for your World location and vehicle details were not completed although I do recognise that discussion has covered these points. It is long term beneficial to complete the 'blank' sections. See my link in post #2 with info Guidance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patrick, Just a reminder nudge to complete your Sign Up. The Sections for your World location and vehicle details were not completed although I do recognise that discussion has covered these points. It is long term beneficial to complete the 'blank' sections. See my link in post #2 with info Guidance.
Hi Aussie Ed, Ok will do. I'be been trying to find how to edit the details but suffering this end with the plague and nothing is simple. Where do I find that? I can see my profile.

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Hi Aussie Ed, Ok will do. I'be been trying to find how to edit the details but suffering this end with the plague and nothing is simple. Where do I find that? I can see my profile.

My earlier link explains 'step by step' how to do this.
Read this link :- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Read the headings Sign Up follow the instructions, do the same thing for Vehicle model

Go to your avatar (picture) top right of the black header bar (this is account details). This will provide the drop down functions including account settings, go to 'locations'. Complete details. Similarly access vehicle details and complete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all, once again thanks for the help. It's been a long time and story but I got plate assemblies sorted eventually. I found a parts guy in Poland who could get them in. He got them from Russia I think but they are genuine GM Made in Korea parts in factory packaging. Pretty expensive but have saved the car from scrap anyway. The problem as that the backing plates also contained a drum handbrake so just taking them off wasn't possible. It all came with the drum shoes etc ready to go. All ready for the test now.
If anyone is in a similar position for parts and you want the contact I used let let me know and I'll pass it on. A very efficient service and well travelled parts by the stamps lol.
Thanks again
Patrick

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Good to have some helpful feedback.
You persevered and tracked the parts down well done. Fingers crossed that the vehicle gets through the Test.
Maybe you can sell the Stamps to Stanley Gibbons and recoup some of your costs :)
I see you are still struggling with your Sign-Up, (see posts 12 & 13) . Post 13 will run you through it if you want to try again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to have some helpful feedback.
You persevered and tracked the parts down well done. Fingers crossed that the vehicle gets through the Test.
Maybe you can sell the Stamps to Stanley Gibbons and recoup some of your costs :)
I see you are still struggling with your Sign-Up, (see posts 12 & 13) . Post 13 will run you through it if you want to try again.
Hi Eddie, The vehicle should fly through the test OK now. Yep I'm still struggling with the signup. It seems that I'm here courtesy of Google or something. Do I register with a different name?
Thanks a million
Patrick

·
Super Moderator
7,992 Posts
Patrick. The quick answer is No. There is no relevance to Google. Once you have logged in you can see the Black Header Bar at the top of page.
If you click on your Avatar (your photo) top right. [mine is simply an 'A' in a green green background] Clicking on your Avatar will create a dropdown list; select Account Settings. In the various sections you can complete your Location ie where in the World / city / town . You can also complete your Vehicle details.
These two sections once completed will then always automatically appear with every post you make. This in turn helps every Forum member who will immediately identify you and you car without having to delve back through previous posts - which they simply wont waste time doing and discard responding. It also saves you having to repeat these details every time you post. I hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts