Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please! I've just changed the oil filter on my 2008 LT diesel and on replacing the oil filter drain plug I found it impossible to tighten it - just kept going round and round as if the thread has stripped except the thread on the bolt is 100%; I'd found it difficult to undo in the first place so it's possible the thread in the housing is bu$$ered. I've put it back in with Loctite but it's weeping oil when the engine runs. Have I got to get a new oil filter housing unit?? Is it easy to replace because it looks like a swine of a job to do. Any ideas gratefully received.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok - my BRILLIANT local mechanic [Dave MacDonald] retapped the hole and fitted an oversized bolt. I can't write here precisely the words he used to describe how awkward it was to get to! Lesson to DIY mechanics - DON'T REMOVE THIS DRAIN PLUG! because (a) it's a steel bolt in an alloy housing and will almost certainly have seized, and (b) if somebody has already removed it once they will probably have overtightened it or cross threaded it - which is what had happened to me. Dave reckons you don't need to removethis boltwhen changing the filter - the filter housing should have drained anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts