Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyome know how to go about getting a replacemt locking wheel nut key. Took my car in for service today tofind out the wheel key is missing, I had my car broken into lat March and they must have took it. Unfortunately I didn't notice till today when they phoned me from the garage to ask where it was, so I need a replacement. Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
997 Posts
In my little box for my kit, there is a code for the exact key required- which I realise might not help if it was taken. There is also a space in the service book for this number, so you might be lucky. That said, the dealer should be able to help as they usually have one of everything incase they hit problems. As a last resort there are locking nut removers available from the tool companies- I got a set in halfords and new locking nuts are plentiful on ebay.

Iain
Edited by: bigiainw

·
Registered
652 Posts
Agreed with Iain's comments.

I will say though, get them changed ASAP, not get a new key for the existing but CHANGE them.

Theives do this quite often. Break into cars, pinch what ever is worth pinching quickly. They take locking wheel nuts and come back some dark quiet night to take the wheels.

Suggest you dont wait if you dont want to wake up to find your Captiva on bricks.

Most garages can remove them for you. Especially tyre centres. If you explain. I had a set of locking nuts which "rounded" (happens thanks to tyre centres using automatic guns on them). A local garage sorted it for me. The welded a head on the locking nut, so they could remove it. Can cost less than buying a replacement key or a removal tool.

·
Registered
380 Posts
take a digital high resolution photo of the pattern on the locking wheel nut and the dealer should be able to get yo a replacement with that, offhand i forget the manufactures name, but i'm pretty sure the locking wheel nuts are german.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, As they stole the whole pack with the key card in as wellI can't get one made and the supplying dealer does'nt keep record of the keys. My local garage said it would be expensive andcouldn't guarantee no damage to the alloy wheel soI have ordered a Dynomec nut remover (£130) and will have to resell it on ebay when I've used it.

Make sure you all remove the key number from your little black box to save yourself the same hassle I am having.

·
Registered
66 Posts
the dealer can get the key number from Chevrolet. for a charge of course!

How do I know? Bought a spark with the box in the boot, but no key in the box! Key was £20....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts