Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I having problem with long cranking issue after sit overnight.
new glow plug,new injector,no leak from HPFP to Fuel rail and to Injector...it only happen only after sit for long time or overnight
once engine able to run it is easy to crank and run
seems there is not able to keep pressurized fuel in fuel rail.... any advice?
thanks for help

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
Please complete Full vehicle details. It appears from your avatar picture to be a Series 2 ? Year? Mileage ?
Has the fuel filter been replaced? Is the airfilter clean/replaced/correctly seated ? Were there any codes and who decided glowplug(s) and injector needed attention? Where in the World are you?
As a new Forum user the following Link will be useful reading for you.
More information please.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I am from Indonesia..
Thanks for your reply, yes you are correct my chevy captiva series 2 has Z20d1 engine year 2013 milage 110K km .for additional air filter replaced already as well fuel filter.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
Si Ario, The information you have given needs to be entered in your data sign up. See the Guidance info I provided as to how to do this.

Problem cranking. Is the starter motor 'vigorous' or is it labouring before firing up?
Does your glow plug light go out quickly once you have turned ignition to 'on'?
I'm wondering if your battery is reaching end of its life and simply not holding enough charge overnight. Or maybe something is discharging the battery over night.
You say it runs well once it eventually starts so that is then indicating that power from alternator is then doing what the battery couldnt provide initially.
Can you borrow a good battery off of someone. Totally disconnect your current battery and use good quality heavy duty link leads. (Exercise all safety precautions and connect correctly). Then see if there is an improvement in starting. Do this first thing in the morning before engine is warm. The alternative is to get the battery tested 'under load' by professional test facility.

On what basis did you have the injector and glow plug replaced. This couldnt have been guess work so someone must have carried out professional tests so you must have Diagnostic codes. What were they?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Aussie Ed,
Thanks for your reply...battery in good condition and to make sure I have change it with confirmed good amp. And voltage.
The problem seems there is no fuel goes to combustion chamber...only after 5 to 7 attempts to start she's run fine...switch off the engine than switch on ..
it start right off
After sit for let say 6hrs it's need 2-3 time to starts
My dealership change injector as well glow plug under warranty due above issue..
My tought there is some mechanical issue with Fuel Pressure regulator valve since find no DTc code come up...kindly advice ..thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be faulty fuel metering valve. Try disconnecting the connector to see if default setting works.
Hi Victor,thanks for advice.
Do you mean disconnect plug and start engine? Will try it...
Anyway what is normal possition of Metering valve when switched off..is it Normally open to pass fuel from tank to tank or Normally Closed to pass fuel from tank to mechanical HPFP.
Pls correct me if I am wrong...during cranking FP sensor will detect pressure value in Fuel rail and send data to control unit and give command to Metering valve...when low pressure detected than metering valve will pass fuel from tank to HPFP-fuel rail-injector...and this is duty cycle command.
When engine shut ,metering valve will open to release pressure in fuel rail..
Thanks for input and advice

·
Registered
663 Posts
You don’t sound very Indonesian to me lol sound more like, well 57 vectra-ish, :):):)

icu havn fun on t’usual places.:(:(:(

Don’t know about the Z20d1 engine but usual normal open ecu provides 5v power cont but earths to ecu so gives pwm signal. :cool::cool::cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
Victor, I dont think it will make any difference but Si says he has a 2013 model Series 2 but with a Z20d engine? It is my understanding that Series 2 had the Z22d engine (from 2011 onwards).

Reminder to Si Ario ..... please complete you vehicle Signature information see my post #2 how to do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Victor, I dont think it will make any difference but Si says he has a 2013 model Series 2 but with a Z20d engine? It is my understanding that Series 2 had the Z22d engine (from 2011 onwards).

Reminder to Si Ario ..... please complete you vehicle Signature information see my post #2 how to do this.
attached motor under the hood..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Ed. Seems that in Asia market ( Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia ) the Series 2 has a 2 litre diesel with same basic output as Euro 2.2 litre Diesel engines, hence why the engine code is different.

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
S-M, THanks for that clarification. Photo however looks very much 2.2 configuration though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You’re right Ed, it looks the same as the 2.2 engine in fact it is the same externally. They keep the cylinder bore the same at 86mm but change the crank throw and the length of the con rods to shorten the stroke from 96mm down to 86mm (so it's a "square" engine at 86 x 86mm). Result is the same power but less torque, down from 400 to 360Nm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi everyone,
Attached screen shoot sensor value during idle...
When cranking find that the fuel rail pressure arround 25000 to 27000 kPa is this suffice to start?
Screenshot_20200602-070254_1_1.jpg

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your fuel rail pressure is OK for idle, it needs about 20,000 kPa for starting.
I'm no expert on diagnostics but not sure about your EGR command at 4% and error of -80%. Thought it would have been zero at idle although your data doesn't show actual RPM, only 16.47% throttle position.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your idle RPM is slightly low but not of any concern. You need someone experienced with diagnostics to advise you with any dilemma of the readings, never sure whether you’re using the right equipment and really getting accurate readings or not.

As I’m sure you know, the Captiva has no direct feedback for the position of the EGR valve, it uses the MAF and MAP sensor readings to calculate EGR flow instead. The ECU knows how much airflow is required for any given RPM / load / throttle position normally so when it commands the EGR to open it expects a corresponding reduction in the intake air flow. If it doesn't see this due to EGR being stuck closed/partially open/whatever it usually logs a fault code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on live diagram also confirm that there is suffice fuel pressure..green line..looking for advice...fail glow plug relay?
Screenshot_20200603-064116_1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,445 Posts
Failed Glow plug relay is a possible cause. I did question earlier about why only one Glow Plug & one injector.
If the glow plugs are not functioning at all then start up firing will be delayed until you secure start by Compression - ie excessive cranking.
If you can swap a similar relay it may answer your question.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Looking at the previous graph which showed air intake temp of + 28 deg C, I doubt whether the glow plugs would be activated due to the high ambient temperature. Be more relevant to know the fuel pressure while cranking and what speed the engine is being cranked at since the injector driver will not fire the injectors below 200 rpm.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts