Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 2007 captiva lt all wheel drive. When driving you here a loud clunking noise and when stationary it does it as well. I can also park the car up lock it and walk away and it still does it. It been into the garage and they have replaced the front drop links and then again to have more work done to the front suspension but car still doing it. Car went in again this last week and the person who looked at it said it could be the rear strutts or the rear differentuial. Can anybody help as this is starting to cause me loads of grieve and the garage i bought it from are not interested in getting to the bottom of the problem. any advice would be much appriciated

·
Registered
997 Posts
I had a clunking noise in mine- turned out to eb a can of coke in the centre consol cubby when I was cornering hard. Is the clunk when stationary when you get in or out, with the engine running or not or indeed both? Sounds like a worn suspension component or something loose, but without more detail it is impossible to diagnose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the response i can honestly say its no can of coke. HaHa, The problem is both with the engine running and switched off stationary and moving. Happens both when getting in and out of car. Took it to charles warner in lincoln ( Chevrolet dealer) and it did it there when one of the technicians walk past the front of the car. When i got inside to the service desk i asked him if he heard the noise and he said he had but did not realised it had come from my car as he thought it was the metal barrier slamming shut on there gate. So that is how loud the noise can be.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Something in the wrong place impeding the suspension travel maybe.I wouldhave a look underneath at all 4 corners, preferably with the wheels off. Something that loud should be showing shiny metal or some other sign?? Either that or with the wheels on and the car on the deck, lie underneath while someone gets in and out. It should be easier to identify where the sound is coming from then.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maybe a stupid suggestion but have you checked the central locking and deadlocks? They make can make a good (and hard to locate) clunk if triggered and I have had them play up on a previous car... good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts