Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from my daughters the other day with light rain and wet roads I took a roundabout maybe a little bit too quickly. I know if I'd been driving her Golf there wouldn't have been a problem, and it's not fair to compare the two cars, but halfway around the island the tyres let go and I had to perform a couple of quick "lock to lock" manoevres to keep Zippy on course! It wasn't particularly scary, but it wasn't the most dignified way to go around a traffic island either! I don't remember having had any such problems with my old 800, and I'm pretty sure I drove it in much the same way as I do this one, so I wondered what other peoples thoughts were. Just my reckless driving, or the effects of the mixed rubber, or a combination of both? The tyres are a selection of makes I've never heard of except one Dunlop, each wheel having a different brand (but all with good treads) They're the tyres that came on the car when I bought it, and the only excuse for not changing them is trying to save a bit on funds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Could be the different tyres which caused the problem. As some of the cheap brand tyres have a poor wet rating. Fine for dawdling along but once get a bit spirited driving soon get to the limit of their grip.
Had on a previous car the tyres had decent tread was fine in the dry but once there was any surface water it lost grip. Changed the tyres to known make and had a car that would drive in the wet.
I prefer to try and keep now either all four tyres the same make, else the tyres on each axle the same make.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the different tyres which caused the problem. As some of the cheap brand tyres have a poor wet rating. Fine for dawdling along but once get a bit spirited driving soon get to the limit of their grip.
Had on a previous car the tyres had decent tread was fine in the dry but once there was any surface water it lost grip. Changed the tyres to known make and had a car that would drive in the wet.
I prefer to try and keep now either all four tyres the same make, else the tyres on each axle the same make.
Hi JMCroft, Thanks for the reply.
I know there is an unwritten rule that you shouldn't mix different tyres on the same axle. The mileage and other signs point to the Matiz's having been laid up for a while as well, and I know tyres will continue to degrade whither the car's on the road or not. Points to the tyres really. At least I now know! Might get a price on some new ones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi pete,

I would also do a pressure test all round just to see if one side is down on the other. this can show as wet steering probs . The other thing is front wheel alignment if the "toe in" is severe it can cause wet weather probs too, I get mine checked for around £15 (keep an eye out for offers for National Tyres) I can feel the difference after the adjustment (one of my drivers is a bit of a "curb surfer").

thought that unwritten rule was about crossply and radial tyre mix... but willing to stand corrected.

ttfn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi pete,

I would also do a pressure test all round just to see if one side is down on the other. this can show as wet steering probs . The other thing is front wheel alignment if the "toe in" is severe it can cause wet weather probs too, I get mine checked for around £15 (keep an eye out for offers for National Tyres) I can feel the difference after the adjustment (one of my drivers is a bit of a "curb surfer").

thought that unwritten rule was about crossply and radial tyre mix... but willing to stand corrected.

ttfn
Hi thanks wilkinsm.
I do quite regularly check pressures, maybe once a week. In this case I'm pretty sure they were ok, but will check in the morning.
The tyres that are on the car all show normal wear patterns, which is usually a sign the alignment is ok. I'm now pretty sure it was the "Brand X" tyres on the car which, together with my carelessness, and the rain, caused the slide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts