Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The above Matiz has a rattle from the engine. The OP thought it was the EGR valve. It has now been resolved that the valve is not the cause.

I believe that there is a design/build fault associated the throttle body fitted to the vehicle which will not affect running nor cause mechanical damage. Over time the noise will diminish and at around 55,000 miles it should just be heard during cold start and perhaps whilst accelerating hard?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dear Mr jasta.
Thank you for the reply.This is both good news and bad news.
The good news is that you seem to know the problem and I will now investigate the throttle body and bits.
The bad news is that at 3,000 miles a year as I do, it will take another 9 years for the noise to go away at 55,000 miles !.
I will keep you posted on my findings.

Thank's and Regards K J Biddulph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dear jasta
Had a look at the throttle body with the air intake hose off.
The throttle flap is visible and can be touched with the engine running.
there is no rattle or vibration on it to cause the noise.
I am not dismantling it any further and if you say it causes no problems
I am just letting the rattle continue.
I am not beaten yet and will see what develops.

Regards K Biddulph.Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Keith. I see a seed of determination growing! If your next investigation involves replacing the throttle body then it is more than likely you will need the involvement of a dealer to calibrate the motorised idle air actuator. Some time ago I borrowed a throttle body to see what would happen.
After fitting it and starting the engine the rattle was still present but now the MIL [malfunction indicator lamp] was lit and the engine was in LOS [limited operating strategy] or limp mode. The throttle body was removed and returned and fitting the original cleared the MIL and restored performance!
I have been tempted to remove the plastic cover to the throttle body to see if there is evidence of looseness in the idle air mechanism which allows it to rattle. It looks an easy job being retained by T20 star head screws. Unfortunately the cover is also secured by a swaged plastic spigot. I am not sure if this means "warranted void if removed", "no serviceable parts" or "leave well alone idiot". At this time option 3 is being observed.
I recall that some time ago I read an item that mentioned a warranty claim concerning a Matiz with a noisy throttle body. The outcome appeared to be the the manufacturer did not consider this to be an issue and rejected the claim. Regards dave.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Jasta, as you are an expert in the Matiz, I was interested to read your comment about the dealer having to re-calibrate the throttle body air idle actuator. I have a Captiva which whilst being a completely different model I have found that there is a throttle body re-learn procedure without needing dealer involvement. I just wondered if there was this possibility on the Matiz? The technology across the years between the models may be different of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keith Biddulph here :-

After a year with the rattle it has got worse.
It is coming from down the right hand side of the engine
looking under the bonnet.
It is not on the top and seems eventually terminal.

Any one want to buy a Chevrolet Matiz S.E. ?

I didn't think so ! Regards K J Biddulph.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
KB, In some 16 months or so of this topic at no time have you mentioned if you have ever taken the vehicle to your Service Dealer.
Jasta did make reference to doing so on a much earlier post as to you getting your service dealer reset the throttle actuator but you've never advised us in any of your posts that you've actually been to your dealer. A skilled set of eyes with a vehicle on a lift can often see what us mortals who can only grovel on the driveway cant see.
It is also unclear despite the previous discussion whether this noise is a start up only or all the time rattle. There is in fact very little for us to make a technical judgement on unfortunately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Aussie Ed
Interesting point about the dealer.
I thought all Chevrolet dealers had ceased when Chevrolet withdrew from Europe.
I know that the dealership I purchased the car from new, now deals in another make.
Taking it to a local garage got them as baffled as me-hence me turning to this site.
Many "hits" have been made on this topic so surely someone must have or had
the same trouble.
Having built and still got (34 years on the road) a Marlin roadster 2 lit Fiat twin cam
I do all my own servicing and repairs but this invisible rattle has me beat!
Useful information:- Mileage is now 30600 miles. Rattle is bad on start up and remains
during any speed,length,or type of journey.You only have to touch the throttle and you can
hear the noise.Any demand of power causes it to be heard. Regards K.B. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Keith bearing in mind you feel the rattle will lead to some sort of serious engine damage perhaps you should use a mechanic's stethoscope to assess conditions with the EGR valve and clutch area of the Matiz. It may also be of benefit to check the resonator and pipe connecting to the are air filter housing. The resonator is located under the left hand wing and does require removal of headlight unit and wing liner for full access.
Do you know if the garage you took the car to carried out this sort of simple inspection?

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi KB,

Whilst Chevrolet ceased marketing most vehicles here in UK (and most of Europe) they do still have a network of Service Agents/Dealers in the UK and these can be found if you go on their website. I would advise you where your dealer is but you didnt complete your 'Location' in your Sign-up (noting this is a Worldwide Forum so location is a helpful thing to know).
Helpful tips for Newbies can be found here:-
https://www.chevroletownersclub.co....tre/6693-helpful-suggestions-using-forum.html

Member Jasta is a 'guru' on this model and he has given you some guidance which may help unravel the mystery.

Have a Great Christmas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
O.K. lads.
Updated my profile but to wet,cold and christmas to investigate further.

Happy new year. K. Biddulph.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
O.K. lads.
Updated my profile but to wet,cold and christmas to investigate further.

Happy new year. K. Biddulph.
Hi Keith, You are almost there ..... you didnt add your vehicle details to your Footer (Signature) which is helpful for new posts because the content in a header (as here) does not get carried over, where as a 'footer' (like mine below) appears automatically every post irrespective of the Topic. Tools>Quicklinks>Edit Signature.

Once the weather improves you can check on the suggestions by Jasta.

Dealers near you can be located using this web site :- https://gmk.chevrolet.co.uk/contact/locate-a-dealer.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello lads,
I hope I have done this footer thing right, and I went on Aussie Ed's dealer link.
Blow me if the place I bought it off in the first place is still a dealer in Chevrolet !

Watch This Space. K Biddulph.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hello lads,
I hope I have done this footer thing right, and I went on Aussie Ed's dealer link.
Blow me if the place I bought it off in the first place is still a dealer in Chevrolet !

Watch This Space. K Biddulph.

Well done Keith the Footer looks fine. It will be useful on all new Topic posts.

Hopefully your local service dealer may come up with an answer to your 'rattle'. It might be something simple like an exhaust support rubber perished.
You are like me I cant stand rattles and vibrations, even something in the glovebox like the tyre gauge if out of place drives me mad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to have the same problem, thought I might find a solution, however shame there is so many questions and few answers.

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
I seem to have the same problem, thought I might find a solution, however shame there is so many questions and few answers.
Lack of posted solutions and answers is just as frustrating as those members who dont bother to complete their world location or anything about their vehicle.
Some members wont bother to reply about an unknown vehicle.

Billy, you'll find helpful tips in the following link :-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts