Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I.m looking to buy, as a second car, a Matiz SE or SE+ as these have air con. However, I owned a Daewoo Matiz so got nattering with all Matiz owners, they all said the same, "air con doesn't work"
Can anybody shed light on this please. I will need it to drive from Yorkshire to London, so I guess I have to ignore the 800 cc car. Also had an Aveo, air con not working. Ho hum.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Tom Piper, I have removed your offensive foul mouthed entry in the Newbies Forum. What makes you think that members are here 24/7 at your beck & call to respond to your question which was posted I might add barely only 15-16 hours ago. In case you've overlooked the fact, it has been Easter Sunday/Monday depending where readers might be in the World (noting that this is a Worldwide Forum and you didnt bother to complete your 'Location' in sign-up); members just might quite reasonably be spending some personal time with family and loved ones and not pampering to your hardly life critical question. I wonder whether you bothered to use the Forum Search function to explore existing topics on the issue you enquired.
As you have crudely expressed that you dont intend remaining a member of this Forum because no one jumped instantly to respond to your question, then we are happy to see you go! :mad:

Reactions: Metro1000 and jasta

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ed, I did see the original post above, when I got in from work last night, and whilst it did seem a pointless post,( I was more interested in my tea) it reminded me that my own Aveo has almost no A/C pressure due, I suspect, to it having stood from Feb to September last year.

So, to at least make the OP's post useful to future browsers, non working A/C is nearly always down to a holed condenser (radiator) as these are always on the front of the rad pack and in the firing line (my 407 has had 2 replacements, last time I fitted a fairly fine custom made stainless grille to prevent a recurrence), and/or failed seals ("O" rings) from either lack of use, or drying out due to a holed condenser.
On the Aveo, the push switch itself is known to go bad on occasions, part of the well documented "crap connections" saga that all the Korean Chevrolets seem to suffer from.

"O" ring packs for A/C use are cheaply available from eBay, etc, and so long as the system is depressurised, it's fine to work on at home, I have done condenser replacements.

But you do then need to have it vacced down, checked and refilled by a professional.

The alternative is to drink plenty of water, leave the windows down a bit, and cover the seat with a towel like we did to stop our backsides sticking to vinyl seats back in the '70s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aircon always seems to have a down side, if its not the refilling then its the extra cost on petrol when running it. I wonder if the new Peltier Electro thermal tech may be the answer. There are some youtube videos putting these things to together and they run on 12V. Just wonder if anyone has tried to put one in a matiz ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah Peltier effect solid state coolers. Interesting. Got to be more reliable than the Matiz air con.
MIne worked for about a week after I bought the car, then gave up completely. Maybe a holed radiator.
I've never been that interested. How often do we get hot days in the UK anyway. Like hens teeth!

·
Registered
385 Posts
The main problem with peltier cooling devices is poor efficiency. Typically 1/4 of that achieved by compressor fridges. The wikipedia article on them is informative, and lists the applications where they are at their best.

So from that point of view, using one as a car A/C solution, particularly on a low powered car, would not be a good idea. (I have it in my head that a few cars did utilise them as console box/ can coolers though)

I have a couple of the peltier plates here though, they can be used the other way round, i.e. a thermal differential generates a voltage. This effect is used on those fans that you can put on the top of wood burning stoves, that's why I got a couple, I made an experimental one using some old heatsinks and a computer fan. It worked, but the extreme heat isn't good for the wiring and the plastic fan....it was educational though.

·
Registered
Lacetti 1.6 2008
22 Posts
Ac common issues if it works a litle after refill are:
  • rusted seal surfaces where seals are used to seal the compressor's body and pipes joins. It is best to replace all pipe's seals (lubricate them before installation and clean the seal surfaces) as 1st step.
  • if the compressor is to close to the exhaust its seals fail (common issue on aveos).Pay attension to the pulley position (belt pulleys alignment) when replacing the compeessor.
  • the inner coolant heat exchanger might be leaking. Check for oil signs at its condensing draining pipe that exits through the firewall.
  • check all system for leaks. The repair costs are high because the system integrity is checked at minus 1 atm but the inner pressure can reach 10 or even more than 30 bars, depending on the system. So each real check implies a refill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts