Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to participate in Autosolos in my Mazda RX-8 about 7-8 years ago.
Autosolos are a grass-roots production car motorsport performed under a "Clubman" license from Motorsport UK and by participating Motorsport clubs, in my case Farnborough District Motor club. They are a timed, forwards only skills test around a coned circuit on a sealed surface. Typically 4 different circuit layouts each day, with three "tests" per circuit, with the best two times counting towards the total. Penalties for hitting cones or any other objects, and "wrong test" for missing or wrong direction around a cone (unless hastily corrected with a reverse!)...

Anyhow, since my son is now 15 years and "of age" to compete, and restrictions due to "the dreaded lurgy" were lifted, allowed FDMC to arrange an event at the historic Brooklands Museum. Paddock was on the Banked Circuit, and the course layed out in a well closed off area on the "finish straight" of the original circuit. What a privilege!

Anyhow - to my total surprise, as well as being the usual HUGE amount of fun, the Matiz performed extremely well, and well above my expectations!
I gained a "2nd in Class B" - beating by the usual Minis (by some considerable margin).

This is my son driving with me navigating which is required for those not holding a full road licence! (Photo courtesy FDMC):

Some of me, taken by my son:

And the trophy ceremony (courtesy FDMC):

More photos of the event overall here: FDMC Broolkands Autosolo, 2020

Now - thinking of turning it into a "Club1000" car and taking her to the Nurburgring instead of the RX-8 next year! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great story I have always found the matiz to be nippy in corners, I love mine very much but having problems with a water leak don't want to part with it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We also competed in our second Autosolo at Brooklands on 5th June, and another on 20th June...

Now thoughts - perhaps need wider (wheels and) tyres - and obvious from the pictures - perhaps a better / stiffer suspension set-up...

Anybody know or fitted such "upgrades"?

This site tells me they're: 4.5jx13 ET45 with 4x114.3 PCD... But wondering if any of the "Minilite" style wheels are made to fit (I think Minis are 4x100?)...

·
Super Moderator
7,286 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts