Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Matiz .8 standard
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just bought another Matiz a 2007 1.0 with a snapped cam belt, doing a bit of research on engine components in case they are needed. Pistons seem to be a problem for the 1.0 engine but in standard form they are 68.5 like the .8 engine?. I've seen these for sale from eastern Europe, so would it be just a matter of higher or lower compression on these, Many thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you're sure both engines have the same bore then you can use the pistons in either engine, the difference in capacity will come from using a crankshaft with a different throw and length of connecting rods. The compression ratio won't be affected.

·
Registered
2009 Matiz .8 standard
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're sure both engines have the same bore then you can use the pistons in either engine, the difference in capacity will come from using a crankshaft with a different throw and length of connecting rods. The compression ratio won't be affected.
You are correct my friend, the .8 has a longer stroke the the 1.0, if only a wee bit.

·
Registered
2009 Matiz .8 standard
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other way round, the 1L engine has 72mm stroke while the .8L engine has 67.5mm stroke.
Oh, are you sure. 1000 engine - 25% capacity with three cylinders comes 750cc. It's something like 796cc so must be a longer throw crank and taller block I would have thought, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Oh, are you sure. 1000 engine - 25% capacity with three cylinders comes 750cc. It's something like 796cc so must be a longer throw crank and taller block I would have thought, but maybe I'm wrong.
You're right, I thought both engines had the same number of cylinders

·
Registered
291 Posts
Although pistons for both engines have the same diameter in standard size the piston pins have different diameters. The 1 Lt. being the largest with a maximum pin diameter of 17.00mm. This will ensure that only pistons with the correct deck height can be used in each engine design.

·
Registered
2009 Matiz .8 standard
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although pistons for both engines have the same diameter in standard size the piston pins have different diameters. The 1 Lt. being the largest with a maximum pin diameter of 17.00mm. This will ensure that only pistons with the correct deck height can be used in each engine design.
Yes I see, also stronger to cope better with extra 12bhp. I wonder why 1000 pistons are impossible to find so far, thanks very much for the info.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Pistons used in the 1.2 SOHC Aveo have similar standard bore and wrist pin dimensions. It might be worth a check for compatibility.
With a broken cam belt it could be that the pistons are marked but intact. You will certainly have bent valves and perhaps valve guide and head casting damage. Good luck.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes I see, also stronger to cope better with extra 12bhp. I wonder why 1000 pistons are impossible to find so far, thanks very much for the info.
Why would it need stronger pins for the 1.0 engine when the output per cylinder is greater on the 3 cylinder engine?

·
Registered
2009 Matiz .8 standard
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why would it need stronger pins for the 1.0 engine when the output per cylinder is greater on the 3 cylinder engine?
I see where your coming from, maybe it's just to avoid a mix up. But with more bhp output the bigger the bearing surface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts