Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Victor Meldrew said " I can not believe it!!". Today I took my drivers side rear hub off to fit new wheel bearings and ended up cracking the hub under the ABS ring. I accidentally fitted the inner bearings the wrong way around with the taper centre bearings pointing outwards. I thought something was wrong after I started tightening up and the hub wouldn't tighten. Anyway I took the hub back off to find there was a small crack in the hub under the ABS ring, but curiously the ABS ring was fine.
I really couldn't believe I'd done it. Anyway I've put it back together and it's driving fine, ABS light goes out etc. but I won't be going far in it until I've got another hub. In mitigation my online manual says nothing about the direction it goes in and I thought I'd replaced the bearing the same way as the old one came out, which now seems unlikely...funny but while I was fitting it I thought it was a bit odd them both facing the same way.. Doh!
Has anyone any idea where I can get a new or used hub? from the bearing sizes it looks like the nearside and offside rear hubs are different internal diameters to accomodate the different bearings? Any suggestions appreciated.
Pete.

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
It happens I guess even when we are older and supposedly wiser. I recall as an early teenager doing up a nut & bolt on a push bike and I sheared the bolt. My father calmly said to me that the general idea with nuts & bolts is to do them up just enough to not come undone. You dont tighten them up until they shear and back off half a turn.
As to where to get parts there are couple of helpful suggestions in the Main Message Centre (one from Scouse-Mafia and one just today from dmxmustfly). Online Breakers Yard sites also worth trying maybe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens I guess even when we are older and supposedly wiser. I recall as an early teenager doing up a nut & bolt on a push bike and I sheared the bolt. My father calmly said to me that the general idea with nuts & bolts is to do them up just enough to not come undone. You dont tighten them up until they shear and back off half a turn.
As to where to get parts there are couple of helpful suggestions in the Main Message Centre (one from Scouse-Mafia and one just today from dmxmustfly). Online Breakers Yard sites also worth trying maybe.
Thanks Ed. Yes, we don't think we can make mistakes, but to err is human they say. I've just been looking at a site called Parts4you or some such, and they're quite reasonable at £69-odd so not the end of the world. I'll take a look at Scouse-Mafia's posting to. I'm going to check out the other side tomorrow just to satisfy myself that the hubs are the same each side(not sure were I got this idea from as the bearings are just listed as "rear" so they're probably same both sides..
Cheers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I had the nearside hub off and checked the bearing size and they are of course, the same both sides! I'll probably order my new hub along with the timing belt and other drivebelts for the my next job!
Does anyone know how the ABS ring and the wheel studs come off? I assume the studs just drive out since there's a head inside the drum, so they should be shouldered studs which need to be pushed out. The ABS ring I would think will probably require a bit of heating and cooling of the hub for a sweat on fit? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Pete, How to remove the ABS reluctor rings was a discussion on the Captiva Forum together with a helpful video. I'll see if I can find it ; you can of course use the Forum Topic Search tool to look up these types of question previously asked/discussed.

The online 'How to do' is here :-

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, cheers Ed. I've found places on Ebay selling hubs from £40 odd up to £70-80 each. Some places will only sell two. I should get the other bits from Europarts, local to me.
Entering rear hubs on ebay gets no results whereas entering brake drums returns quite a few results.
Once again many thanks.
Pete,

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Quick answer. If you purchase parts from your local Eurocar Parts store you have the easier option of returning them if not needed or incorrect. Faffing around returning parts by mail can be a pain. Support 'local' is my suggestion. Carparts4less is sister company - often worth comparing the two on prices. Eurocarparts inflate their prices so as to appear to be giving great discount. Check to see who is bottomline best.
I dont know where in UK you are as your town/city has been left blank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ed,
I always do try to buy local unless the prices are over the top. TBH I bought my new wheel bearings from Euro parts for £27.50, whereas ebay sellers let them go for £17.50, but, as you say, if you have to return them for some reason it's a lot easier. Also you can often get some good advice from a local dealer and a more personal service. I didn't know about Carparts4less being tied in with Europarts-thanks for the info.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Pete, I see you've added your location. Thanks. Dorset - lovely county. I've many happy memories of holidays there as a youngster 60 years+ ago.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah thanks Ed, yes it is a lovely part of the country, I'm very thankful that I live here, lovely countryside, etc. I was born in Liverpool, lived in Cheshire and Lancashire since my early 20's and moved in South Africa for 14 years. I think Dorset is as good as it gets in the UK, for climate and scenery, etc. and I do make the most of it, walking, canoeing etc.

Ed, I've been trying to buy a rear drum off ebay but I'm rather confused since all of the ads say drums for 1.0 2007 Matiz but then give either 64, 65 or 67 bhp, and descriptions like M200, M250 etc. My V5 says it's a Matiz SE+ version 122, nothing about M200, 250 etc. and although the ads carry the header "fits Matiz 1.0 2003-2011 or somesuch, when I put in the "match compatibility" search facility, it invariably says it won't fit! Can you shed any light? what's the difference between M200, M250, and is it likely to affect the brake drums? It's a simple basic car, but the info seems overly confusing...
Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed, no worries. I've found one site selling 2 hubs for £42, brand new and free delivery, AND it says it fits my model, so I've ordered them.
I'd still like to know about the different models though, M200, 250 etc.
Cheers,
Peter

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Hi Pete, I'm not a guru on the Matiz (The Captiva is my strong point). We have a couple of Matiz/Spark gurus who may well provide more info.
The 'history' of the Matiz is best read on this link :-
This model has had numerous reincarnations hence the M *** variances as well as eventually becoming the Spark.
The M *** is very important because of the engineering changes which went with each M variant.
Glad you've found what you were after. Have a read up on the Wiki link above and you'll be as wise as me !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, thanks Ed.
That explains it all. My first 800 was an M100, this later 1litre version is the M200. Even I should be able to remember that.. Interesting to read about the UK engineering involvement and the Italian designing. Truly an international car!. Pity we can't get the LPG version here..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the hubs arrived and after my usual procrastination, (about a week or so) I decided to fit them today. Since I hadn't bought new bearings or studs etc. (to save a few quid) I had to swop the bits over. I warmed the hubs up a bit with my hot air gun and used WD40 on the studs etc. along with a big hammer and some sockets. The bearings took a good few clouts to go in but eventually slid home, the studs also took a good few swings of my lump hammer before they went in, but the ABS ring, which is supposed the be an interference fit slipped on cold, and I took it back off and used a bit of JB Weld on the inner faces to tighten things up a bit. I had to slacken off the automatic adjuster to get the new hub to slide over the brake shoes, but all went ok, and came up nicely again on the handbrake. It took me about 4.5 hrs to get the offside wheel done, I'll do the other side tomorrow if the weather holds out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I took the Matiz for a spin and everything's fine, so I decided to keep the second new hub as a spare and save myself a bit of work. Next job all the belts...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts