Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Evening folks. Its me again! I've noticed now that around my oil pan there is some kind of fluid, I can't tell if its oil but it probably is, mixed with other dirt, however, its been like this for some time now, I noticed it last year even before its MOT (Aug 2019) nothing mentioned on MOT, No advisories nothing. Had my oil changed in Feb 2020, nothing said then. Is it just a little seepage from the sump gasket? I check my oil level every week and I've not noticed any sort of loss. Here are some photos. Also is this an MOT fail? However it passed like that last year, and probably has been like that for some time馃?

Any help would be appreciated 馃檹
Thanks, Chaz
Screenshot_20200531-204045_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-204015_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-204015_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-204056_Video Player.jpg

Registered
I don't think that would cause any concern but I'd give it a clean up with some solvent and old rags just to make it look a bit better.

The actual MOT regs have a section that deals with fluid leaks, see pic

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Victor, upon reading that MOT info, it has to be quite a bad leak for a fail. However is this 'Sweating' round my oil pan any cause for concern? Bearing in mind shes 13 years old now!

Cheers

Super Moderator
Worthwhile also cleaning higher up if you can. Twice my sump seal was replaced (Captiva) and I was certain it was coming from higher up. And it was - when they eventually found it was the front engine gasket (known trouble spot).

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I've cleaned up best I can, i should say it is a very slow oil leak, hense why all the dirt has collected over time
1591014054951209535812644810335.jpg
etc. If I were to get it replaced, what is a ballpark figure? Or is it even worth it... thanks!

Super Moderator
To be honest from your photos it appears to be very slight (whereever it is coming from). I'd leave it well alone but monitor every 2-3 months. Check dip stick regularly. Trying to fix it might open a can of worms. 'If it aint broke dont try fixing it'.

Registered
If it's leaking oil, at least it has some in it. Try owning a couple (5 at the last count actually...) of Metros like I do. Once the drive shaft seals wear a little, the entire centre floor ends up covered with oil from front to back. Leak like the Torrey Canyon. Modern cars have undertrays fitted with an absorbent mat that soaks up (hides) minor leaks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I like your style Ed, and yeah it looks minimal, no one has ever mentioned it to me, at MOT or service etc. Shes almost 13 aswell. Never noticed a significant drop in oil, and never seen any oil on the floor where its been parked. Theres also ever so slight seepage coming from the rocker cover gasket, but I was told this is normal on a vauxhall engine lol.

Now metro, Id love one if you want to sell me it, but you have to fix all the oil leaks first ;)

Registered
My limited experience is that it's often the crankshaft main seal that leaks first, or dribbles from the cam cover. Just keep it topped up, clean, and stay off the relatives new block paving

Registered
Slaveo. You either get oil leaks or blown head gaskets. Depends on how old. Rust is standard. An '82 City, '83 Vanden Plas, '92 Midas Coupe GTA 16v kit car, '94 114 Cabriolet and (before the virus) '97 114Sli....all the rest of the fleet have to stay outside on the drive :love::eek:

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Slaveo. You either get oil leaks or blown head gaskets. Depends on how old. Rust is standard. An '82 City, '83 Vanden Plas, '92 Midas Coupe GTA 16v kit car, '94 114 Cabriolet and (before the virus) '97 114Sli....all the rest of the fleet have to stay outside on the drive :love::eek:
Thats why I think it'll have to be a german for my next car, but for now, aveo is doing just fine! Will always have love for it.
and thanks chaps for all the great advice you continue to give me!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Would it be worth getting a can of wynns stop oil leak, and putting it in the engine?

Registered
Would it be worth getting a can of wynns stop oil leak, and putting it in the engine?
Better to have the engine and the engine bay steam cleaned first, so you can actually see where the leak is from before looking to "fix" it.
It will "have to be German". An interesting statement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts