Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As reported by someone else I too have now experiencec this.

While traveling at approx 70 mph I activated the Cruise control, with the set speed button, where upon there was a loud clunk, a loss of engine power and lots of warning lights, but only for a split second. While the car continued to run fine after this the ECU light is now on.

If I take it back to the dealer I am sure they will reset the ECU alarm light but can they do anything else to stop this occurring in the future ?

has anyone else had this happen ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the engine management system going into its safety program because of a fault elsewhere on the vehicle. This happened to me three time recently so I took the car in and diagnosed a fuel rail problem. They replaced the fuel rail and sensors under warranty. I only just got it back so too early to tell if the fuel rail was the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happened to me in France, as posted in Fuel Economy thread. Was told by dealer that ECU light will recycle itself after 15 - 65 drive cycles. It did after only about 10.

The symptoms you describe were exactly as mine. In cruise control - hit the accel button for a tad more power to take a lorry on an uphill stretch of motorway and then a 'clunk', loss of power - if only a second - and then lots of lights.

It hasn't happened since. Touch wood.
Edited by: mjefferson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happened to me last night, exactly the same scenario, in cruise control hit the accel button, momentary loss of power and dash lights up like a Christmas tree. Very disconcerting, still waiting for the MIL light to extinguish. Car running perfectly normally, weird!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Agree with Big Al, you ave to get the codes read to see what the cause is...

Out of interest, do you all have Autos or Manual boxes.... or mix ?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I ask about the transmission ie auto or man, as to me it sounds like a software glitch. All of you say you where in cruise and pressed accelerator button to go faster. I sssumne you mean the accelerator button on the cruise control and not the accelerator pedal. There is a big difference. The accelerator button on the cruise control wwill be a s/w programe that increases the setting on the cruise control. Pushing thie accelerator pedal is a physical link that when released returns the cruise control back to the previous speed set.

Now back to why I ask is it manual or auto.

If I push my accelerator pedal hard down in my manual, the car accelerates slowly or quickly depending up the gear and engine speed. Do the same in an auto and the car will change down a gear (kick down).

The accelerator button on the cruise control is on or off, so can't work out if it is a small or large press like the pedal would. I therefore think the pushing of the button made the auto box change down (kick down), but suspect that hit the engine limitator due to the speed and revs and threw the car into fault mode, hence the noise, and then return to normal.

I think this is s/w fault on the auto cruise control. The program should not kick down fromn cruise control.

·
Registered
997 Posts
KL, That would be supported with my experience of my manual Captiva- I use the cruise all the time and have never had any experience of this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nothing to do with the autobox as mines a manual and yes I was pressing the accel button on the steering wheel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Finally got around to getting the code it's DTC P0606 (59) which seems to be "Control Module Internal Performance (Circuit/Component Protection Time-Out)" !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts