Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been finding that my Auto Captiva Diesel(184 bhp) due all this very wet weather the fuel consumption has gone done quite a bit as only getting 160 mpg on half a tank as compared to nearly 200 mpg in dry conditions still driving urban/motorways etc!

Still safety comes first but it goes through up to a foot of water like a big tank!

Can expect this poor fuel consumption in the Wintertime but certainly not in the Summer!!

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Hi Alyson, 4 Wheel mode - you mean you normally drive round corners on two wheels!!
The Captiva is an auto select 'on demand' vehicle for 4WD so presume you mean normal driving.

Using any car as an amphibious craft will affect MPG!
. As summer has apparently arrived in your part of the country, make sure you aren't comparing 'winter' (non Aircon) results against 'summer' with aircon going. This will knock the mpg back. Also, as I found out two weekends back a slammer of a head wind has a big effect also on a long run.

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Talking of on demand 4 wheel drive, how do you know it is activated? Does the car feel different or does a light come on on the dash? Probably a stupid question but i've never driven a 4 wheel drive car before.
And the point on using air con, i haven't noticed the slightest difference in mpg with it off and with it on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
In the snow, you feel it come in when the back steps out in an oversteer style, or just by the increase in traction (there is a slight driveline shunt too). I've never broken traction on anything else! No lights or anything else, other than possibly the traction control light.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't think you have been in 4wd, just experiencing bad conditions which have put more load on the car hence in cased MPG, ie driving through flood water. Mind you a small increase as you mention around 40 miles per tank could simply be something like dpf regeneration.

As for the question on how do you know if you are in 4wd, like said, it is automatic, so only true way is by driving response. But there is an indicator on the dash, the only thing is it doesn't stay illuminated, unless you have a fault. posted on this before, here's the link

http://www.chevroletownersclub.co.u...ly-question_topic494_post2913.html?KW=/-#2913

1 - 7 of 7 Posts