Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the MPG you get from your Matiz. Please post engine size and mileage and year.

To Kick off
Matiz S .8l 55 plate 100k 35MPG
Matiz SX 06 plate 80k 35MPG.
Figures produced by RAC black box.

I realise you might not have a reporting device on your car, so give it your best Guestimate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mpg

I have been tabbing both matiz's for 6 months, results fairly consistent:
800 => 35.4 mpg (town) 37.7 (rural/motorway)
1.0 => 37.2 mpg (town) 40.4 (rural/motorway)

a couple of occasions I noted 42.2 with the 1 litre, but sometimes it is difficult to gauge when the tank is absolutely full, especially with some 'frothy' pumps....

Intrigued to know if these are seen as 'good' or not...

·
Registered
15 Posts
both SE models...

Want a laugh? See the spec according to Parkers: https://www.parkers.co.uk/chevrolet/matiz/hatchback-2005-1/10-se-5d/specs/
It wasn't the range of the tank - I kind of look to 280-290, but the top speed...97mph! Wow! If it is true, then not only would I NOT want to be in the same car at that speed, but preferably on a totally different road to the numpty who tries!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
343 Posts
At best I got about 37 miles per gallon.. the car is not very economical

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
Interestingly I've recently purchased a secondhand (2017) Suzuki Ignis car 1242cc petrol engine. It is best described as a miniaturised SUV. (quirky)
Despite .... or maybe because of .... all the modern sensors sensing the sensors (!!) it is giving 45mpg around town and a whopping 60+mpg on a decent long run. This is an interesting example how modern engine technology advances over the past ten years or so are squeezing out better mpg and performance.
I guess there comes a time when the reality of keeping a dearly loved and cherished older vehicle becomes a money pot and tough thinking in respect of obtaining spares, reliability etc has to be made about keeping or replacing.

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Cool little car Ed, I like it. I'd describe it as a SUAV - a Small Urban Assault Vehicle. smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
Cool little car Ed, I like it. I'd describe it as a SUAV - a Small Urban Assault Vehicle. smile_big:
Hi Victor, Actually that is a pretty good description and we are very impressed with it. Ours is a front wheel drive manual box (suitable for our needs) but it is available in a full 4x4 version and can be used in narrow but rough terrain locations. (The way our UK roads are deteriorating it might be necessary soon ! sad:) There is an automatic version as well. It has virtually the same ground clearance as our Captiva. Very light weight about 800kg depending upon model and how equipped.

Our primary objective was/is as a tow car behind our motorhome, however being so versatile we use this around town for shopping rather than crank up 2.5 tonne of Captiva at 28-30mpg. (which we've still got for now - take a look in the For Sale section of Forum).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
Thought i would add to this thread as i do tend to keep an eye on the fuel consumption of my 58 plate Matiz.
on the short trips i do to and from work i get an average of 38 miles to the gallon. On the motorways on a decent run i get between 42 and 47 MPG depending on whether i drive at around 60 mph or 70+ this is based from 1st March 2018 until now. Love this car its ace!!
The other one we have is not too bad either,

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife’s 07 1litre seems to get better mileage than my 09 1litre. Approx 38mpg my 09 has a slight problem with the fuel gauge so isn’t very accurate. When I fill up I do so just to the click approx £32 and when it reaches empty trip is on about 200 around town if I go weston super mare 200mile round trip I will still have a quarter tank showing as left. So I would say your figures are correct these are not the best fuel savers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I've just added my latest fill-up on Fuelly, and was pleasantly surprised to get a reading of 64.7 mpg!
But I do have to mention that it's only my fourth fill-up, so it might go down a bit...:unsure:
I have, as yet, only done 350 miles..

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
Pete, That sounds encouraging but I'm not sure the statistics add up ?
If this is your fourth 'fill up' and you've only done 350 miles something doesnt sound right. Four fill ups to get just 350 miles?? The fuel tank is about 35 litres I think. (call it 30 x 4 = 120 litres - 26 gallons) 26 gallons to provide 350 miles is about 13 miles to the gallon. Ermm...... is there an error with your figures? Should that be 1350 miles ... that would give you about 50+ miles per gallon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Ed, yes I'm guilty of providing false information I'm afraid..
I bought the car with almost a half tank of fuel. I topped it up with about 16 litres, then I've topped up a further 3 times. First fuelly figure was 14.1 mpg!(at second fuel up) second was 33.4 mpg , and this is my 3rd of 64 mpg (at 4th fuel up).
None of them are accurate because at each fuel up I filled the tank to different levels, and couldn't include the part tank since I didn't know the figure exactly. Eventually they'll approach a true figure. If I add up the gallons used and the miles covered it gives 22.4 mpg, but this doesn't include the first tank which fuelly uses as a base point. If I added the miles a full tank would give me it would be about 35-40 mpg. I hope I'll get a bit more than this..
According to my figures, if I'd done 1350 miles instead of 350 I'd be getting 94.9 mpg!
I ride a motorbike a lot of the time so Zippies mileage will remain low in my ownership, but fuelly will eventually give me an accurate mpg figure.

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
I usually fill until the pump switches off and I write the mileage on the receipt. Next time I do the same thing and do the 'back' arithmetic. This way I dont need to guess or estimate how much was already in the tank, I simply calculate each fill up. This way it is also an early warning if there is a sudden unexpected drop.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I did my longest run so far (120 odd miles) and filling up when I got back thought I'd get a good figure.
Filled it to the brim and put on fuelly... 32.8 mpg.
In mitigation most of my mileage is trips to the local shops so engine never really warms up. Even so it's pretty rubbish. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,630 Posts
BP, Seems disappointing but.... if you keep the receipt and write your speedo mileage on it, when you next fill up to the brim you can then divide the miles covered between fill ups by the litres (gallons) and you can have a per fill up figure.
By keeping the receipts with mileage written on you can back check between any period you choose.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ed, Fuelly is a site which does all that for you . After you've registered you just enter the figures from your slips at each fuel up and it works out the average mpg, latest mpg, best tankful etc. It also shows the consumption of just about every car, motorcycle and heavy vehicle out there and all for free. I've been using it for years and find it invaluable, I usually check before buying a vehicle, it breaks them down by model and year etc. Just a pity I didn't check this one out a bit more thoroughly...
Pete.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts