Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My now 4 month old Captiva Auto has improved with its MPG as now getting 450 miles to a tank (urban) but still bad round town as lucky to get 400 miles to the tank. The MPG Computer says it is doing at the most 38 MPG but most be more than that if getting 450 to a tank! Also when filling up full the most the tank says is 390 so sensor is not right?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I get 30 mpg in mine, so you are doing well to get 38 mpg.

If you are worried about fuel economy you bought the wrong car!

·
Registered
997 Posts
The tank is approx60 litres. I get approx 400 miles to a tankso that whenI do a brim to brim calculation, I have about 32mpg, so another 50 miles from the same amount only takes you to 34-35mpg, not 38. That said I'd be ecstatic to get 35... Also, pay no attention to the miles to run display. Mine always says 380 on a fill, regardless of what the consumption display says, ergo, it is pants!

·
Registered
15 Posts
According to the manual the tank holds 65litres or 14.298 gallons. Assuming you don't run it bone dry - not a good idea anyway, you probably use about 13 gallons which equates to nearly 35mpg.
Which is better than most, myself included.
As bigiainw says the miles to run calculator is useless, mine doesn't re-calculate until it gets to zero no matter when i fill up !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mileage computer is all wrong as one minute it says over 50 mpg then back down to the 30s! Also drops a few miles when only done a mile! The sensor needs to be upgraded and improved! 38 mpg is about tops but even using it manually doesn't make any difference and yet the Captiva Brochure states over 50 mpg on the manual and 42 mpg for the auto! Have Chevi tested a different Captiva??

·
Registered
997 Posts
Alyson13 said:
The mileage computer is all wrong as one minute it says over 50 mpg then back down to the 30s! Also drops a few miles when only done a mile! The sensor needs to be upgraded and improved! 38 mpg is about tops but even using it manually doesn't make any difference and yet the Captiva Brochure states over 50 mpg on the manual and 42 mpg for the auto! Have Chevi tested a different Captiva??
Yes they have, they tested the one from never never land! The consumprion figures in brochures are pie in the sky and generally calculated, not measured. If they are measured, they are done in optimum consdditions which do not reflect the real world in any way, shape or form!The ONLY reliable way of checking the consumption is by calculation from brim fill to brim fill. Fill the car with fuel and zero the trip. Fill the car again to the same level, record the miles covered and then work out the mpg from that. If it's over 35, I'll eat my hat, have a heart attack and break out the beer!

Just realised it's an auto, make that 30mpg!

Edited by: bigiainw

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Hi Bigiainw, Hope that hat is rice paper! Careful - I have brim to brim fill giving me 35.21mpg although to be fair it is normally nearer 32 on a good mixed journey tank. You are right (and you've said it many a time on these posts) that the method used by all manufacturers - not just Chevrolet - is a totally 'laboratory' result and has no correllation to driving on the road with different surfaces, head winds etc. Poor Alyson13 is having a tough time realising that the trip computer is virtuallyuseless from a reliabilty aspect. Why wait for her to confirm the35mpg - have a beer now; I am.

·
Super Moderator
7,465 Posts
Hi Jester, To be fair mine is reasonably accurate also. Having checked the calibration several times, the worst error reading I have hadhas been 1.8mpg 'over reported' by the Trip computer. Not much out but on a 14 gallon tank (approx) this equates to showingabout 25 miles more per tank full than actually achieved.

·
Registered
997 Posts
On a full fill, regardless of what the average consumption says, it always registes 383 miles to empty. I regularly manage over 400 before the fuel light comes on, and ifI drive carefully initially, I will have 396 miles left from the original 383 by the timeI get home! I have, therefore, a car that makes it's own diesel, although it never makes enough thatI can avoid a fuel station for very long...

Jester, my miles left indicator is "quite" accurate, but only if you consider that Dublin is quite near New York....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey I am not saying that is totally accurate or that everyone else's should be accurate, just that mine seems to be pretty good.

My car has other useful features thou, like the clock that only works when it is below 0 deg C outside and the mp3 playing from usb stick whilst doing sat nav which will cause the whole thing to crash and reboot if you go near a roundabout.

·
Registered
997 Posts
See, i'm one of those lucky owner's whose sat nav lives in the glovebox and only comes out when needed. And my clock works in positive centigrade temps. See, we all have our crosses to bare.
That said, don't say this too loud, but having replaced my duff reversing sensor and knackered brake pads, it all appears to bwe working at the moment. Don't tell anyone....

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can we stop going on about mpg!
Ihoped I had got over my paranoia with the brouchure/actual monstrous discrepancy, i've even have the trip permanently reading the average speed setting (refuse to switch torange/mpg anymore), but this continued debate bringsthe whole horrorback again.

Cannot believe an auto would get 38mpg, mine is a manual and 35mpg on the motorways is the absolute max.

Aaaaaaagh!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
No longer a Chevy owner, but will throw in my experience. Had a Captiva till about 6 months ago when a £100 per week fuel bill forced me to trade it in. Bought it when I wasn't doing too many miles but change of circumstances meant it had to go.
Loved the car so it was a bit sore losing it. I always found the trip computer a waste of time. Never accurate both in terms of mpg or miles to fill up. Never bothered me really as I just learned to rely on the fuel gauge. Which is another issue which seems to be common amongst various cars I've had. It drops slowly until the tank is half empty then drops like a stone.
I used to get 32-33 mpg in general use, but managed 37mpg on long trips to France and back with a car full of people and luggage (LT 7 seat manual). Basically, set it at 70mph in cruise and let it go. Generally though, miles from the official figures.
To give you some comfort though, no manufacturers figures are achievable. I've had loads of cars and it's always the same. I've now got a Seat Ibiza 1.2 diesel estate. Official figures 72 mpg combined. I generally get 55mpg in mixed driving (which is pretty good to be fair). Most I've ever got is 63mpg on longer trips compared with Seats claim of 80mpg plus. Still, halved my pre-seat fuel bills. Would much prefer my Captiva though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. I have a 2.4 litre petrol, 2011 Captiva. It seems to be super-thirsty too, especially with the A/C running constantly. This is not a complaint however, as where I'm from fuel is 4 pence a litre, so only £2.60 to fill up.

·
Registered
997 Posts
jonnybgood said:
mine is a manual and 35mpg on the motorways is the absolute max.

Aaaaaaagh!!!!!

Bloody luxury! Can you tell me where you get your ballet shoes please

·
Registered
119 Posts
kiwiinqatar123 said:
I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. I have a 2.4 litre petrol, 2011 Captiva. It seems to be super-thirsty too, especially with the A/C running constantly. This is not a complaint however, as where I'm from fuel is 4 pence a litre, so only £2.60 to fill up.
Its about four pence a litre here aswell, its just the government takes the rest in duty!

·
Registered
119 Posts
bigiainw said:
jonnybgood said:
mine is a manual and 35mpg on the motorways is the absolute max.

Aaaaaaagh!!!!!

Bloody luxury! Can you tell me where you get your ballet shoes please
I was probably exagerrating a bit, i meant i once got 35mpg for about 3 seconds doing 56mph in sixth!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My mpg is very poor, 57 plate deisel and I get average 28 max! And that's driving like an nun. Gutted as has expected 35+ according to the specs. What a load of ball sh*te! Never mind live and learn can't see me keeping it for long what with the poor build quality and expensive parts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts