Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been on a long drive from Edinburgh to Derbyshire and return where my new Captiva 184 bhp was at the most doing 31 mpg on the way down. However on the return journey filled him up with Shell V-Power Diesel and seems I am getting over 450 miles on 1 tank full now! Either the engine is loosening up, getting run in as nearly 800 miles in under 2 weeks or this Shell V-Power is something special!! My usual is less then 10,000 miles a year but this new 4x4 is just a pleasure to drive!! Was also used off road around the rough, forest and moorland tracks of the Chatsworth House Estate - super except that it was rather dirty!!

(Never saw another Chevy Captiva on my travels up and down the motorways etc!!)

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Alyson13, Our much more learned friends on this forum will probably comment on the V Power diesel. I have not personally tried it - good old Asda for me as it's local and competetive. Web sites such as Motormouth and Confused have previously done articles on whether or not the extra cost equates to extra miles. But hey, if the tuning of your vehicle runs better and more economically on it then stick with it. Cars can be like children they all have their own personalities.
Aussie Ed

·
Registered
153 Posts
Alyson13 what mpg do you now, get? My 2011 2.0l LTZ which has been remapped, de-cated and de-dpfed probably runs about 210 bhp shows over 60mpg on a run with the best being 70.6mpg on a 40 mile run back from Glasgow. However I know that by filling up the tank the real figure on a run is only 45mpg.

·
Registered
153 Posts
K.L.
I do not lie, however the Captiva computer does, it told me that I had averaged over 67mpg. I will also add that this figure was achieved by driving carefully on a motorway for several hundred miles. Later this month I will be doing a long motorway run in my petrol Audi A4. It is only 2 months old andit is supposed to haveexcellent fuel consumption as it has Audi's latest 1.8 TFSI engine with stop/start and recouperation. I will be ver dissapointed if I get less than 50mpg. There is an art to getting good fuel consumption, in my family I have it, however my wife doesn't, as she tends to use about 25% more fuel than me when we do the same journey. Tip to good fuel consumption, coast as much as possible and break as little as possible. The Captiva is great at 40mph and good at 60mph but not so good at 50mph.

EVO

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info! I have now done nearly 1000 miles and the top mpg I am getting on motorway/urban at around 70 mph is only 35 mpg but started off at 31 mpg! Around town I am getting around 30 mpg so should be a lot more on urban! Engine is beginning to loosen up as acceleration now increased - goes off like a rocket! Hoping that even with the automatic to get 42 mpg as should get better when run in! Anyone know roughly how many miles before the engine is run in?? Stays in a lower gear as you have to be well over 50 mph before it will go into 5th gear! Used to having 7 gears with the VW DSG which is quicker to change over but the bigger engine seems to hold on to the gears for longer - mind you it is in ECON Mode!!

Started off on a steep hill in 3rd gear!!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Alyson13 said:
Thanks for all the info! I have now done nearly 1000 miles and the top mpg I am getting on motorway/urban at around 70 mph is only 35 mpg but started off at 31 mpg! Around town I am getting around 30 mpg so should be a lot more on urban! Engine is beginning to loosen up as acceleration now increased - goes off like a rocket! Hoping that even with the automatic to get 42 mpg as should get better when run in! Anyone know roughly how many miles before the engine is run in?? Stays in a lower gear as you have to be well over 50 mph before it will go into 5th gear! Used to having 7 gears with the VW DSG which is quicker to change over but the bigger engine seems to hold on to the gears for longer - mind you it is in ECON Mode!!

Started off on a steep hill in 3rd gear!!

The old "running in" is a bit of a misnomer these days. So long as you don't drive like your pants are on fire all of the time, you don't really need to stick to a particular regime for running in. Just drive normally for the first 2-3k to give it a chance to smooth off any rough edges. With an auto it's even less difficult, just stay away from lots of kickdown! Best of luck with the 42mpg. I'd say you have 2 chances of that, slim and f*** all, but you can convince me if you can!

Iain

·
Registered
997 Posts
evo 370 said:
K.L.
I do not lie, however the Captiva computer does, it told me that I had averaged over 67mpg. I will also add that this figure was achieved by driving carefully on a motorway for several hundred miles. Later this month I will be doing a long motorway run in my petrol Audi A4. It is only 2 months old andit is supposed to haveexcellent fuel consumption as it has Audi's latest 1.8 TFSI engine with stop/start and recouperation. I will be ver dissapointed if I get less than 50mpg. There is an art to getting good fuel consumption, in my family I have it, however my wife doesn't, as she tends to use about 25% more fuel than me when we do the same journey. Tip to good fuel consumption, coast as much as possible and break as little as possible. The Captiva is great at 40mph and good at 60mph but not so good at 50mph.

EVO

Evo, if you are truly getting 45mpg I bow to you, because you must be supernatural. As you know, I've had my Captiva un- DPF'd and chip tuned by the same company, including a slight de tune to cure a minor issue, so I am probably running less fuel rail pressure than you and the absolute best that I can do in normal running is 34mpg, and that is wearing the proverbial ballet shoes and using the cruise extensively and running mainly on the motorway. Since the cat is simply a pre cat and not a full cat, I can't believe that it's deletion makes such a big difference. I am truly in awe!

Iain

Iain

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just back from a 500 mile journey in and around France, and I averaged between 31 and 33 MPG.

This was a mix of (mainly) motorway and (some) town driving with average speeds of 130Kph (82Mph) on the motorway.

Less than what I expected from "The Beast" before purchasing, but better than I expected after reading on these forums.

Calculation was based on brim-to-brim fill-ups - trip computer was also about the same.

·
Registered
997 Posts
At 82mph I would consider that to be not half bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
CBers said:
This was a mix of (mainly) motorway and (some) town driving with average speeds of 130Kph (82Mph) on the motorway.
I think I should change that to cruising speeds of 130Kph - average implies higher speeds and I didn't really go above 130Kph.

130Kph if the french nation speed limit.

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Cbers, Just quick question, was this mpg with passengers and luggage?
I guess the 82mph on motorway may have knocked the edge off just a bit. Never the less it's a good bench mark for others to sqabble over!!

Aussie Ed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Aussie Ed said:
Cbers, Just quick question, was this mpg with passengers and luggage?
I guess the 82mph on motorway may have knocked the edge off just a bit. Never the less it's a good bench mark for others to sqabble over!!

Aussie Ed
Two adults, one child (6-year old daughter) and 2 suitcases, so not full, but enough.

A bit lighter on the way back as daughter was left with grand-parents in France

Off to France again this weekend to collect daughter, so will do another brim-to-brim check.

And the car itself is awesome. So much power and so smooth and easy to drive.

It makes mincemeat of hills

1 - 15 of 15 Posts