Chevrolet Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Captiva Auto has just done a round trip to Aberdeen and Edinburgh with many more miles whilst there - 380 miles and still had 70 miles left in the tank to go and that was at 70+ mph with a bad cross wind!! Yet the trip says that the most mpg I was getting out of it was 37!! Think this is faulty and also when using my Tomtom it has a different speed reading! When doing 70 mph the TomTom says it is only doing 65 so who is correct??

Only done 1700 miles so maybe improving as engine is loosening up?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yet the trip says that the most mpg I was getting out of it was 37!

if you were getting 37mpg out of an auto, WELL DONE! i am sure others would like to do that, but why don't you do a few brim to brims and then calculate, be more accurate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just did ~300 miles and got 32.5 mpg, quite pleased with that, new tyres have made a noticeable improvement of 1-2 mpg

·
Registered
652 Posts
Doh.... how often have we discussed MPG....

First the s/w on the Captiva's computer for consumption is flawed big time....

Second, all manufacturer speed readings (speedo or computer) will over read buy a minimum of 2 mph, so if your speedo says you are traveling at 70mph, chances are you are doing 68mph. This is because there is 8mm of tread on brand new tyres. So with brand new tyres travel at 70mph, and you will be probably be doing 68mph, after loosing 3 mm of tread at 70 mph, you will be likely doing 67mph, ie. as the tyres get smaller (tread is worn) you will go slower.

The manufacture makes this forced reduction in actual speed re the reading, to avoid being sued by 1000s of motorists who get caught for speeding, as when the car gets older the reading will be less accurate, ie. cables stretching, etc.

Also it is not a fixed 2mph accross the range, you may find at 30mph your speedo is nearly 5 mph out, especially as things wear...

There is only one certain way to calculate your MPG, and that is as OldRoverBoy (and I) have said many times. Fill to brim, note your mileage, fill to brim again, note the mileage. Difference in mileage against the amout of fuel put in.

Keep posting that you have got 37mpg on your trip computer and it means nothing.

I'll re-write the software for you to show you get 50 mpg if it makes you feel good.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry my last post seems a little abrupt....

I'm not bothering replying to MPG or little Tuning Boxe posts anymore. Appreciate new posters may not have seen them before, but been on this site (and a Captiva owner) for a few years now, and if you get average 30mpg out of a diesel manual Captiva, thats norm. Expect less for an automatic.

You want a big 7 seat SUV then its going to use fuel. You want economy try the new Chevrolet Volt.

Cheers...
Edited by: K.L.Richards

·
Registered
119 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
Sorry my last post seems a little abrupt....

I'm not bothering replying to MPG or little Tuning Boxe posts anymore. Appreciate new posters may not have seen them before, but been on this site (and a Captiva owner) for a few years now, and if you get average 30mpg out of a diesel manual Captiva, thats norm. Expect less for an automatic.

You want a big 7 seat SUV then its going to use fuel. You want economy try the new Chevrolet Volt.

Cheers...
I thought your second post was more abrupt than your first!

Still enjoyed both of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
Keep posting that you have got 37mpg on your trip computer and it means nothing.

I'll re-write the software for you to show you get 50 mpg if it makes you feel good.

K.L.Richards said:
The OP posted a genuine (if arguably slightly naive) question. Whilst I agree with the facts in your response, I'm not sure they deserved the cutting "tone"...

·
Registered
380 Posts
I agree with KL here, It is annoying that some people don't use common sense before posting, such as those who buy a £25000 car and don't service it, or don't service it on time, or put the wrong oils in or buy a dpf fitted diesel for a daily 1 mile take the kids to school, need i go on. I liked the I'll write the software bit, and i liked the volt bit too, but I had years and years in the motor trade dealing with "customers", and my last boss was one of the best regarded people in the business who ALWAYS did his best to help our customers.

My vote is KL for prime minister.

·
Registered
652 Posts
oh dear...... i think you need to trawl the board a bit more. this isnt he first, or even second or third time the op has posted the same thing about mpg and that the cars computer says they are getting 1 billion miles per gallon.

if this was a new poster with a new post i may have been a lttle more diplomatic with my reply.

check my posts, i'm not an aggressive poster by nature.

perhaps i'm becoming a grumpy old man....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh dear indeed...

A poster's "previous" notwithstanding, my point is simply this:
A condescending or sarcastic response (even if you do consider it a stupid question) might simply put others off posting their queries, for fear of receiving similar treatment. Or put some folks off joining in the first place. Just saying, like.

Peace, dude

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm a bit scared now because my kids go to school in our Captiva and its only 3 miles, and I'd never heard of a dpf until i came on this site..................don't shout!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Jonnybgood, (love that song!) Please, (he says) (getting on his knees)
Don't be upset! Personally i find this forum one of the gentler ones, and for the bits I don't know, informative, so I would not think that KL was being harsh, sometimes after sweating over a hot computer for hours , or any job can leave a person a bit tired at the end of the day. I hope that no offense is taken, as i am equally sure that none was meant.

Peace, love, tranquility and Happy Chevrolet motoring to all.

·
Registered
997 Posts
KL, I have never been offended by anything you've said/ posted in here, and I'm really touchy, just ask the wife...
Oh, different kind of touchy I think...

Thwere is a bit for me on online forums that if you're scared of the answer you might get, it's best not to post in the first place. We all tend to try and help, even if it's the 30th time we've said the same thing...

·
Super Moderator
7,470 Posts
Oldroverboy, I've kept quiet on this until now to weigh up views and I agree with Gaston. No need for any contributor to be abrupt (almost rude).
By the way, I dont think there is such a thing as 'common sense' - simply more or in some cases less of it!!What do they say 'common sense isnt quite as common as we think it is'.

Never the less what ever the question or comment it means something to the contributor who is seeking advice orpassing on an experience to help others.If a reader doesnt want to read a post because he/she isnt interested in it, or read it all before because of longer experience,then the computerhas a trash can - use that and nottongue or this forumto chastise.The newer members on this forum respect the contibution that KLR, yourself and others with experience provide.

I proposewe should wipe away the blood and tears and call 'full time' on this post now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
If I am bored of a subject or even of the forum in general, just give it a wide berth for a whilethere is always someone elseto prattle on
"discuss"

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good grief....

The point that all that line up to chastise me is missing is that this question has been asked by the same poster, in different ways more than once.

I like others, have explained how the fuel trip computer on the Captiva is flawed and that the only way to calculate your cars true consumption is from a brim to brim calculation. However the poster asks again....

But others are also quite correct. We dont want to make new posters afraid of asking any questions, and if it was a new poster they would have had a different response.

I've been on the board now for over 2 years, and I supose all the questions and relevant topics have been discussed over and over. I cant count how many times we have had questions on SatNav, MPG, servicing, DBF, AWD or 2WD, DVD players, etc, etc.. So if all I'm seeing is the same topic being regurgitated in a different guise then perhaps its time to say

auf wiedersehen.

I'll look in now and again to see if anything new is hapening to our Captivas.

So for now at least.... bye

P.S. I didnt mean to upset anyone....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I am still with KL here, Daniel (admin) has deleted the abusive remarks aimed at me and widget on the Spark forum, and i also feel that it is time for a change and to allow other people to carry on. i have not yet sold the epica, my buyer has disappeared, but, the car is running well, and given what it cost to buy, an annual service is all it will need if i keep it one more year. So, au revoir aussi, ma el salama, Go in Peace!

·
Registered
68 Posts
K.L.Richards said:
The point that all that line up to chastise me is missing is that this question has been asked by the same poster, in different ways more than once.
No, not 'all'. I just thought that point was irrelevant as it's not an excuse for a discourteous response.

I 'get' that you weren't setting out to be rude, fella. If you both decide to take your bats home over what is, in reality, a storm in a teacup, I think that's rather sad. The other option would be to take it on the chin and continue to make a positive contribution to the forum - but it's your call, chaps...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts