Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet Orlando 1800 petrol 2012. 55000ml with gas system00 ml converted to gas system
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my Orlando petrol 1.8 2012 with gas sistem has the mulfuction indicator light on or flashing all the time.few works have been done with no change.any one can please help me? Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
You should try getting your "gas sistem" serviced and see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
Hello my Orlando petrol 1.8 2012 with gas sistem has the mulfuction indicator light on or flashing all the time.few works have been done with no change.any one can please help me? Thanks
Any Diagnostic Codes?
You advise "Few works have been done with no change" What were these 'works' and who undertook them - you or a trained mechanic ?
It helps if you inform us rather than us guessing or going over old ground !
Mileage? Service History ? Information far too vague unfortunately ! Help us to Help you.

Eagle, It has been mentioned previously (as far back as Sept 2019) and more recently, that completing your Sign-Up and vehicle details could help both you and Forum members with constructive replies. Read this please :- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum

·
Registered
385 Posts
I will try to explain this, given the information given but please allow for the fact that I am NOT an expert, or a mechanic, just an owner and avid reader, and follower of what the mechanic I use for MOT tests and work that is beyond my ability has told me. Also, as pointed out above, your circumstances are not very clear.

Background: My own car running on "gas" (In the UK this means LPG/Propane), throws code P0420 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) ", and turns on the engine management light within 100 miles of a reset. It has done this for over 75,000 miles.

Read this:

The important line is :

"When the oxygen sensors have similar readings to each other, it indicates that the catalytic converter is not working as intended "

My mechanic has told me that when the engine is running on lpg, the combustion products are not quite the same as when running on petrol (gasoline), and this seems to be borne out by the fact that lpg cars do not have to pass the usual catalyst, but rather the "basic emissions test", he pointed me to this document:

8. Nuisance - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK

At this point, I am hoping that Victor will jump in and tell me if I am correct , or if I have been misled.......

My take on this is that even when it is running properly on lpg, the engine management light may come on, and throw a code P0420, simply because the upstream and downstream sensors are too close in output, as the catalyst is operating outside of parameters that have been set for it. I am aware of other owners that have this issue with lpg conversions, and also that newer lpg systems that have lpg ecu's with direct OBD2 links to to the main (petrol) ecu and can read the outputs of the oxygen sensors via this, and make corrections on the fly, and cancel errors as they occur. My daughter runs a Peugeot 208 fitted with a system like this (which is why I have read up on it, since I run the free diagnostic and 24/7/365 repair service known as "Daddy's Garage"...)

I reset the light once a week, and check that it is just that one code. It's worth remembering too that when running on lpg, the rest of the ignition system is more critical than with petrol, so it will smoke out even minor defects with plugs, leads, coils etc.

If you can, please check this lot, and report back your code, and lpg ecu type/age.

Reactions: jasta and Aussie Ed

·
Registered
Chevrolet Orlando 1800 petrol 2012. 55000ml with gas system00 ml converted to gas system
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try to explain this, given the information given but please allow for the fact that I am NOT an expert, or a mechanic, just an owner and avid reader, and follower of what the mechanic I use for MOT tests and work that is beyond my ability has told me. Also, as pointed out above, your circumstances are not very clear.

Background: My own car running on "gas" (In the UK this means LPG/Propane), throws code P0420 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) ", and turns on the engine management light within 100 miles of a reset. It has done this for over 75,000 miles.

Read this:

The important line is :

"When the oxygen sensors have similar readings to each other, it indicates that the catalytic converter is not working as intended "

My mechanic has told me that when the engine is running on lpg, the combustion products are not quite the same as when running on petrol (gasoline), and this seems to be borne out by the fact that lpg cars do not have to pass the usual catalyst, but rather the "basic emissions test", he pointed me to this document:

8. Nuisance - MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK

At this point, I am hoping that Victor will jump in and tell me if I am correct , or if I have been misled.......

My take on this is that even when it is running properly on lpg, the engine management light may come on, and throw a code P0420, simply because the upstream and downstream sensors are too close in output, as the catalyst is operating outside of parameters that have been set for it. I am aware of other owners that have this issue with lpg conversions, and also that newer lpg systems that have lpg ecu's with direct OBD2 links to to the main (petrol) ecu and can read the outputs of the oxygen sensors via this, and make corrections on the fly, and cancel errors as they occur. My daughter runs a Peugeot 208 fitted with a system like this (which is why I have read up on it, since I run the free diagnostic and 24/7/365 repair service known as "Daddy's Garage"...)

I reset the light once a week, and check that it is just that one code. It's worth remembering too that when running on lpg, the rest of the ignition system is more critical than with petrol, so it will smoke out even minor defects with plugs, leads, coils etc.

If you can, please check this lot, and report back your code, and lpg ecu type/age.
Hello I passed it the garage and I'm waiting for an answer . thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any Diagnostic Codes?
You advise "Few works have been done with no change" What were these 'works' and who undertook them - you or a trained mechanic ?
It helps if you inform us rather than us guessing or going over old ground !
Mileage? Service History ? Information far too vague unfortunately ! Help us to Help you.

Eagle, It has been mentioned previously (as far back as Sept 2019) and more recently, that completing your Sign-Up and vehicle details could help both you and Forum members with constructive replies. Read this please :- Helpful Guidance Using the Forum
Hello
Diagnostic code, miss fire cylinder 2.the guy is a trained mechanic. He checked the coal,sparks the computer gas.service is done every year with the change of all the filters and gas filter too. The car has done 55000 ml so far. He said everything is fine. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
With diagnosis of misfire on no.2 cylinder by your mechanic, and helpful notes by member Metro it looks probable that you'll soon have this resolved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts