Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my lad comes back from 3 years at uni, and wants to learn how to drive. I have a Nissan Leaf, My wife a Renault Zoe. We both have a Smart Roadster each. None of these cars are suitable for him - being automatic transmission. The only manual vehicle I have is a sooty van, and I can't bear letting him drive that - so the hunt is on for a cheapo car - small engine cheap to insure (more on this later).

So we start looking for cheap cars, and soon realise there is no such thing, your either buying a car fit for the scrapyard or one thats been crashed and returned to the road - not good.

Anyway we hunt around and find a car for £500 on gumtree, when we get there, it looks kind of OK, odd dint here - scrape there etc.

Seller which was a backyard garage, said there was a problem with the clutch but had been repaired, and there was no warranty on the car. It drove ok on the test, clutch biting point was a little high - but I figured if it lasts 6 months and he passes the test - all good.

Anyway I pay the man and drive it home, I get 1 mile from the garage and the clutch goes crump, and I can't change gear - got no tools on me.

Phone seller, and he comes to fetch me, and says he will repair it by weld this time, we abandon the car at the side of the road, he says he will collect it on Monday. Monday evening comes and the car is still there - so I decide to recover it myself. Wife in van, me in car we tow home. Scary !!!

Next day I start the repair. I cut back the insulation to review the full extent of the damage.

It turns out he had botched the job by using large washers instead of welding.

Remove clutch pedal and cable.

Hammer opened metal back in to position.

Prep for weld.

Reactions: jasta

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weld both inner and outer best I can - its a hard job to get in, but is possible.

Reattach the clutch cable and set up.

Refit Pedal and spring [Took Most of the time]

Job done.

I'm a amateur and it took 6 hours - 3 of which was messing with the clutch pedal spring and working with a rubbish diagram.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Great post Umpa, appreciate the photos and well done with the repair. It's surprising how thin they made the bulkhead web, looks as though it would be lucky to even be 20SWG and no apparent reinforcing in a highly stressed area. I remember the clutch pedals used to split on the old Vivas so it seems if one tking don't get you the other will! Hope your son has many happy hours driving it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This post is giving me PTSD. It tore in the exact same way on my shitiz. Well done on managing to weld in the footwell, thats a fantastic feat on its own

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Umpa, Top marks for Perseverance. Brave man. Send the dealer your Bill for your hourly rate !

Reactions: Umpa

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys
I hope it might be useful to others.

I want to give full credit to @08matiz for this. Without his information and pictures I might not have gone ahead with it. I'm not a mechanic by any means. I dabble a bit hear and there - have no garage, so its all on the drive....

Anyway, when it all cracked off, I gave him the main ignition key, and kept the spare, which does not have a lock/unlock button on it because I took him at his word and genuinely thought he would recover and ring me on Monday. So after the repair We returned to the garage (in the Matiz) for the key. Turns out he had agreed to let another back street garage weld it, and worse still they were going to arc weld it.

Even worse still they had an agreement that if it caught fire, the welder would let it burn out because they knew I had Taxed and Insured it. Whilst the seller was honest about it - my heart sank because I would not get a payout - not enough to cover the insurance cost and the car.

I don't know much - but I know ark welding on a tin can car would result in just one **** of a job - If my attempt looks bad, I reckon an ark welder would just blow holes all over the place. So I am glad I went with my gut and did it myself.

Insurance...
I thought this car might be cheap to unsure, but its not. Two drivers and a learner, and its costing me £100 a month. And if my son has an accident they will only pay out third party; they did explain why but I can't remember what the guy said to me on the phone.

I accepted because it was an insurance I already had (with 4 years no claims). I was expecting it to go down in price not up & I was going to drive the car home after the sale and wanted to be legal - no time to shop around so went with it.

When I was a lad I don't remember driving being so expensive.

There is more - so I will create another thread about what else I have had to do so far - lol

Reactions: 08matiz

·
Registered
342 Posts
Its the learner part of the insurance. Guaranteed theyre far more likely to write a car off in an accident or damage another persons car/property whilst learning so i can only assume that is why its £1200 per annum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my lad comes back from 3 years at uni, and wants to learn how to drive. I have a Nissan Leaf, My wife a Renault Zoe. We both have a Smart Roadster each. None of these cars are suitable for him - being automatic transmission. The only manual vehicle I have is a sooty van, and I can't bear letting him drive that - so the hunt is on for a cheapo car - small engine cheap to insure (more on this later).

So we start looking for cheap cars, and soon realise there is no such thing, your either buying a car fit for the scrapyard or one thats been crashed and returned to the road - not good.

Anyway we hunt around and find a car for £500 on gumtree, when we get there, it looks kind of OK, odd dint here - scrape there etc.

Seller which was a backyard garage, said there was a problem with the clutch but had been repaired, and there was no warranty on the car. It drove ok on the test, clutch biting point was a little high - but I figured if it lasts 6 months and he passes the test - all good.

Anyway I pay the man and drive it home, I get 1 mile from the garage and the clutch goes crump, and I can't change gear - got no tools on me.

Phone seller, and he comes to fetch me, and says he will repair it by weld this time, we abandon the car at the side of the road, he says he will collect it on Monday. Monday evening comes and the car is still there - so I decide to recover it myself. Wife in van, me in car we tow home. Scary !!!

Next day I start the repair. I cut back the insulation to review the full extent of the damage.

It turns out he had botched the job by using large washers instead of welding.

Remove clutch pedal and cable.

Hammer opened metal back in to position.

Prep for weld.
Hi I had same problem I paid £550 @RAC they weld my bulk head and change the clutch kit but after 6 month bulk head doing same problem my clutch become very stiffer and getting stuck in grear. I need help if any one can do .RAC they are saying give them £400 more more now for fix bulk head properly. Last work done less than year they rub me I m in big dilemma

·
Super Moderator
6,457 Posts
Rose, I'm not quite sure what you expect or want Forum members to do?!
If the bulkhead requires welding then that is a task either for you to negotiate with RAC or you find a suitable repair shop near where you live - where ever that might be - because you havent completed your 'Location' (Town/City) nor have you provided any data detail about the vehicle ie year, variant etc.

As a new Forum Member it may be useful / helpful for you to read the following link about getting best use of the Forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts