Chevrolet Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Can anybody help me. It’s had a new alternator and the battery is good.
I can charge it and this morning on the way to work my alternator kicked in and started giving me 13.7v when I stopped it and started it again it won’t kick back in so running the battery down continuously.
Can anybody help please
Regards
Mark

·
Super Moderator
6,520 Posts
I can charge it and this morning on the way to work my alternator kicked in and started giving me 13.7v when I stopped it and started it again it won’t kick back in so running the battery down continuously.
Can anybody help please
Regards
Mark

I'm not an expert on alternators but my first thought would be to check the basics such as fuses and relays. Have you done these basic checks?

ps: this is the correct location for this question; you appeared confused by also posting elsewhere.

pps: which year/Series Captiva is it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi it’s a 2010 captiva
Just got a scan done and came up with
heating element control circuit B357A
And
Unknown fault code B57D

Still have problems with battery

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi it’s a 2010 captiva
Just got a scan done and came up with
heating element control circuit B357A
And
Unknown fault code B57D
I’m lost. Can put any light on the issues. All fuses checked and good.
Alternator not charging unless straight after a charge. When I switch the engine off once then it won’t charge at 14v it just starts at 12v and drops as if the alternator is not kicking in.

If there is any experts out there could you please help me
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re your DTC’s B357A and B57D, seems you’ve got it wrong, there is no B57D so think you mean B357D. In any case both of these DTC’s refer to an auxiliary PTC heater which your car doesn’t have if it’s a standard UK spec.

Your problem could be as simple as a faulty voltage regulator in your new alternator or it may be related to poor connection(s) and/or high resistance within the control and charging circuits.

This is not a comprehensive list but it’s a start:

Simple things first, how clean and secure are your battery terminals?

On the series 2 Antara / Captiva there is a multi-earth point connection on the bulkhead just aft of the vehicle battery. If yours has the same, loosen the main connection, move the wires around to make sure of their grounding and re-tighten.

I believe there was an issue with the alternator plug on these vehicles, you may find the connector is breaking up internally especially if it was roughly refitted at the time of alternator replacement.

Check the cabling between the starter feed solenoid which continues to the alternator output terminal, it’s a particularly cheap and nasty arrangement and prone to poor connection/overheating and high resistance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anybody help please
Regards
Mark
Hi did you get this resolved as I am now having the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
6,520 Posts
Wratford, Welcome to the Forum.
Have you followed through the recommendations (entry #5 above) by Victor?

There are some Helpful Tips and Guidance using the Forum on the attached link. Completion of location and details of your vehicle are important.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts